Propane adaptor for side of trailer. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Tripple E Surfside
I would like to run a copper line from the regulator,
to the front (door side) of the trailer.
I want to be able to use our small portable BBQ, and also our portable fire pit, under the awning when it rains ect.

Both the BBQ, and fire pit have regulators already on the hoses.

I guess what I would want/need, is some kind of male adaptor, that would allow the BBQ and fire pit to be able to screw directly onto the adaptor.

Has anyone here done a mod like this, or knows of a way to do it,and where to get the fittings ect I need to pull off this much wanted mod.??

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
I would like to run a copper line from the regulator,
to the front (door side) of the trailer.
I want to be able to use our small portable BBQ, and also our portable fire pit, under the awning when it rains ect.

Both the BBQ, and fire pit have[b] regulators already on the hoses.

I guess what I would want/need, is some kind of male adaptor, that would allow the BBQ and fire pit to be able to screw directly onto the adaptor.

Has anyone here done a mod like this, or knows of a way to do it,and where to get the fittings ect I need to pull off this much wanted mod.??

Thanks.
I had an 08 Fun Finder for a short time last year. It had a factory installed quick connect gas fitting on the door side of the trailer that was tied into the trailer propane system. It was for a BBQ that came with the trailer.
Someone makes the parts your looking for.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #3

I,ve definitely heard of them,
but I can,t seem to get any info at my local rv dealer.(I guess they just can,t be bothered helping).

A quike disconect,would be great.!!
I don,t even mind if I have to put a On/Off safety valve at the regulator.

I,ve done tons of mods before,
but this is 1 I want to try to get done this Spring(if at all possible).
Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
I know Escape will add one as an option to a new trailer. The issue is pressure. I believe if you connect after the regulator on the tank you do not have enough pressure to run a grill. One option is for those who have two tanks you can run off the second, you would then loose any automatic switchover. There is possibly some method of running it with one tank but I would leave that to the professionals.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #5

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Outdoor and RV shops sell products by Mr. Heater that provide quick connect propane attachments. Some have an additional shutoff valve. They look similar to the quick connects for air lines but I'm sure they are different enough that they won't interconnect.

google "Mr. Heater propane accessories" for pictures and descriptions.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #6

I would think the 1st fitting would have to be installed just before the regulator,
because as you say, you would not have enough pressure.
Thus leaving full pressure going to some quike connect adaptor on the front side of the trailer,
witch in turn would feed thE portable BBQ(that already has it,s own regulator).

All makes perfect sense to me, but would sure like to find out where I can get the pieces that I need to do the mod.
Of course, I would also have a shut off valve that feeds that line.

I have been thinking about this mod for weeks(and those who know me know I won,t give up ti'll I pull it off).LOL
Old 04-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Outdoor and RV shops sell products by Mr. Heater that provide quick connect propane attachments. Some have an additional shutoff valve. They look similar to the quick connects for air lines but I'm sure they are different enough that they won't interconnect.

google "Mr. Heater propane accessories" for pictures and descriptions.

Orlen
That's exactly what I was thinking of.
Not real sure if I should go with the 1/4" or 3/8"
I would think it's the 3/8", as that's what's on the trailer now I believe.

I,m going to check into this for more info guaranteed.

Thanks soo much for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Check with Panda Propane in Bradford.

The primary problem is that most BBQ's run off a higher pressure than the stuff inside the trailer. The regulators are set to different pressures. There are burners and BBQ's designed to work outside on the inside pressures.

Someone on here has posted a picture of a quick release takeoff that connects to your tank before it hits the regulator for your trailer. A hose connects that to the regulator of your outside equipment.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
First off you must put your T for the BBQ before the regulator, if you do not you will need a BBQ that is designed for low pressure input (those are expensive). My neighbor has just what you are looking for on his trialer. He put it together with parts from Home Depot. If you only have 1 tank it is pretty simple, with two tanks it is a little more difficult.

With 1 tank, disconnect your regulator and hose going to the tank. Install a T on the regulator, high pressure (input side). Reconnect the hose from Tank to T/regulator. Connect copper tubing to the T and run your high pressure line. To install the T the series should go tank-hose-T(for high perssure line)-regulator.

With 2 tanks and an auto switch, you will need an autoswitch that does not have the regulator attached, can be screwed on but not scimped. To install the T the series should go tank-hose-autoswich-T(for high perssure line)-regulator.

Having said all of this I just looked into it and opted to buy a 4.5# tank 12" by 8" and use that for the outside BBQ, stove and oven. It sits under my table and this way I can move it anywhere I want. With the connectors I have I dont need any tools which is cool. Downside is it takes a little longer to set up and I need to refill the 4.5# tank every 2 trips. Upside I can set up my outdoor kitchen whereever I want.

Good Luck.

Matt
Matthew A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Do a search here for:

+propane +adaptor

And you will get a lot of hits to find your answer.

This thread seems to hit your problem.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #11

I know it would have to be connected before the regulator(if there is a regultor already on the BBQ).

Here are the fittings I foung from the info that was just giving to me.

http://www.propaneproducts.com/catalog/qui...ctors-39-1.html

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/pro...06159_200306159

The fitting with the shut-off ball vavle is a great idea.
To protect the fitting,I will simply but a small Trailer utility service door kit (like hydro,or water),and have it mounted in there safe/sound, and out of view when not in use.

I,ll check Home depot tomorrow to see if they carry things like that,
otherwise I,ll just order them.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Instead of running copper, you could just buy a long gas hose. It's nice to be able to put your grill downwind of the trailer...
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
go simple... they make a thingy for just this.

Extenda-Stay

goes between tank and regulator

If you have a motorhome, these are worth their weight in gold (and cost about as much) They make is so you don't have to drive off to fill your onboard tank all the time. You can just hook up a portable one.

I had one on the Burro for my portable fireplace, it stayed on the tank all the time. Worked great.
Attached Images

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
Can't you get a "T" conector at Canadian Tire and put it on the tank and then run one hose to your regular system and the other to the door-side of your trailer with some kind of shut off valve for protection.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane