Propane & Electric vs Just Electric - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #15

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Scamp 5th Wheel
Pensacola Florida
I have been camping for more than 50 yrs using propane and have never heard of a (explosion) caused by propane. I have heard of a few fires caused by smokers. I also worked as a service tech for a propane company for 16 yrs. In that time I only heard of one explosion caused by propane but on investigation it was caused by a 9 and 10 year old trying to heat milk in a pan when milk boiled over put out burner kid got scared and left the house. There was the very rare case of fires but everyone of them was caused by human error. Sounds better than stupidity. Sorry to have written so much but as a ex propane it makes me mad to see or hear false info about propane. Herman

Old 03-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #16

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Quote:
As an afterthought?
As a customer preference.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Pretty well, the way it was explained here a few weeks ago the trailer purchaser needs to supply the propane appliances to them... go figure...
I saw that post, too, and my thoughts are that if propane is to be included in a trailer it should be part of the design process. There are some basic considerations that really can't be worked around later.

One retrofit obstacle that occurs to me in the case of the Snoozy is the location of its "escape" window. As I remember, it's on the wall behind what looks to me like the only location available for a cooktop. That egress location is already non-standard due to its proximity to the door, but putting gas appliances directly in front of it would make things that much worse.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #18

Trailer: Snoozy
Florida
In a Snoozy the window over the couch is also an escape window. If you are boondocking an all electric trailer will have issues. For me it isn't really a problem, I haven't really camped with my Snoozy it is more of a portable motel room. So I'm either staying with someone that will let me plug in or I'm running the generator to keep the AC on. And for those of you that experiencing "cool" weather right now, my house AC just came on while I was typing this just to rub it in a little. Down the road I am going to install a 12 volt refrigerator to keep from having to run the generator while I'm going down the road.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #19

Virginia
OK - On the Snoozy, I plan to have a propane water heater and a small propane furnace. The rest is electric. The batteries will be supplied by a solar system. I've given up the generator, because the more I study it, the more I believe I can do off-grid camping without a generator. My electric needs are few - I can live without a microwave or air conditioning (though I will have an installed A/C for when I'm parking).

For the Snoozy haters, it still is each to his own. I chose the Lil Snoozy for several reasons, not the least is the the customer service. They will work with me to design the power system that I need - solar, AC/DC and yes, propane.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
For me personally it sure wouldn't be my preference to have to do my own homework & shopping for what propane appliances will or not work with their layout. I have used propane appliances for years and I can say with absolute certainty that I don't have the knowledge or qualifications to be doing that! Don't know why but it certainly sounds a bit like a recipe for disaster.

Don't get me wrong I love the look and layout of the trailer. I just think there needs to be a little rethink in regards to current situation with propane and how they are handling the situation. Giving your customers a chooses is a good thing and being willing to do custom requests is also a good thing - heck thats the #1 reason Escape became so popular so fast and have done so well. But IMHO your are either as a manufacture offering a trailer equipped with propane appliances as an option or your not.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #21

Virginia
I wouldn't be surprised if Lil Snoozy doesn't list a propane option in the future. It's a new company, and they have to feel their way along. More and more are asking for propane, and as a viable company, they would have to recognize the demand..
Old 03-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #22

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I wouldn't call people who post reservations about an all-electric trailer "Snoozy haters". I think they are only trying to make sure you have all the information before you plunk down a lot of money.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post

For the Snoozy haters

Lighten up there, podner. It's a trailer, not yer blood relatives!

No product appeals to everyone- that doesn't make folks "haters". Just "non-customers".

Sheesh!
Old 03-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #24

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
More over, the builders of said Trailers seem to be conducting a vendetta to bad mouth those with LP systems.

Sell on what ya got......
Old 03-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #25

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face Only one incident for me in 10 years of use

I had a REFRIGERATOR FIRE in my Fiber Stream about 5 years ago. Because I am observant and notice immediately when circumstances are not quite right, I was able to take control of the situation. My partner OTOH...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Robert told me later that he would not have grasped the significance of the yellow flame so quickly, and probably not notice the fire until the whole cabinet was burning.
The Fiber Stream was then 31 years old with the original 2-way refrigerator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Ooops, another Urban Myth surfaces.

That camper fire was not caused by the LP tank being left ON, it was cause by something else failing, usually through operator or maintenance error.
I agree!

In today's world, almost everything is either automatic or remote control, and powered by electricity. People generally do their work at a desk on a computer by pushing buttons. To young people, everything before 9-11-2001 is pre-historic and incomprehensible. This is the future of the recreational vehicle market.

How many younger people today are familiar with the life my grandparents and parents lived every day during the last century? I am familiar with those circumstances, and propane use is second nature to me. That is why I am not afraid of it. Younger people today never lived that way, thus the fear.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #26

Virginia
My first choice of trailer was Escape. But logistically, from the east coast, it didn't make sense. I appreciate all information here, but belittling the fact that Lil Snoozy is electric isn't helpful.

It starts out as electric, but that doesn't meant that it can't be something else. Just as an Escape's floorplan can be adjusted to suit the new owner, the Snoozy's energy system can be fitted to any lifestyle.

I really enjoy the research into what I need and want. I like to be a part of the process. I like being a part of the design, having been published for two renovations for my last two houses. And I'm still ready for more information. Carol has gotten me thinking about propane. I'm not afraid of it - just thought I could do without. But it looks like it will be more efficient with propane, so I've adjusted my thinking.

That's all I'm asking - that people be open minded about the Lil Snoozy. Perhaps their answers about propane were unsatisfactory in the past. But I think they've shown a willingness to adjust their thinking, given the propane-fitted trailers they've produced and those that are on the drawing board.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #27

Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Kansas
I prefer to not use propane-we usually camp where electric is available.
When it is cold we use a small electric heater.
I also learned that I can survive without a/c -found this out at Eggstravaganza 2013-when our a/c didnt work.
I cook with a small electric skillet.
Also have a battery for the lights and Fantastic fan, if no electric available.
Hurry up spring-go away winter.
Propane or electric-just go camping and have fun.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #28

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Lil Snoozy doesn't list a propane option in the future. .
Well the reality is the fact they are offering it is actually very NEW thing. They didn't when they started out but I suspect they got nerves about the fact that a number of their trailers were hitting the used market way to quickly as some purchasers discovered the all electrical didn't work for them. Word travels fast in regards to trailer issues around here!

As I said I think they have put together a nice trailer and layout just haven't bought into their current approach to dealing with the all electric or some propane issue. Nothing belittling intended. Like you originally did a lot of people buy into the idea they can get away with all electric and we have had a number of people here who have purchased the trailer in question only to sell it shortly after. If no one raises their concerns or questions posters as to what their expectations in regards to how they camp and where, the odds are that someone else will quickly make the wrong choose in trailer as well. Its a great choose of trailer but only if purchased by someone who will use it in the fashion it was actually built to be used or like you is willing to do a lot of homework and their own research on how to get extras installed to make it work for them.

As far as the logistics of the Escape being on the West coast goes if you check their webpage you will see a listing for the trucks heading out your way and if they have space on them..... a number of people here from the East coast have had their trailers delivered. Cheaper than the gas needed to go get it yourself.

Closed Thread

Tags
propane