Propane & Electric vs Just Electric - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 10:28 PM   #61

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
I'm buying the converter! Look out bears!
Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #62

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Propane clearly has a long (many decades) track record of safe use in campers. If you want the ability to park anywhere from a rest area in a bad storm to a totally awesome rustic campground with all the comforts of home you want propane and 12 volt. Solar makes a longer stay possible. Essentially limited only by your water and ability to deal with waste tanks.

If you use your camper more as a personal portable motel suite then maybe all electric will work for you. I don't think my sister has camped anyplace without 50 amp service in at least 7 years. Maybe from time to time they have roughed it with 30 amp. They have propane but except for cooking and maybe fridge when they only had 30 amp service they don't really "need" propane. But I bet it won't hurt the resale value to have propane when it comes time to sell.

Propane has been used in campers for way too long to have a manufacturer say it's a safety issue. I think if you have propane the camper may have to be certified, at least in some states. Bet that certification of the camper propane system has a fee to the manufacturer.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #63

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
In the US, Trailers, RVs, etc. must meet NFPA 1192 regulations. And any trailers sold in Canada must meet CSA.
As Carl H. said earlier, you are dealing with startup companies with sales in the per hundreds. That may not have the expertise to integrate Lp into there manufacturing, yet. And or decided it wasn't worth it, nor wanting to except the liability.
The placement of just one screw in the wrong place could be catastrophic for a manufacturer. Heck ya, I'd be frighten as someone putting my name on the final product.
One gets what you pay for. Mines better than yours doesn't get it. If you don't like there product, don't buy it.
When I bought my first camper I thought I knew what I wanted. Guess what, I didn't. Sometimes I still don't, depends what day it is.
But, I'm glad I can find some constructive points of view when I need it.
Just my $ .02
Old 03-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #64

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
In the US, Trailers, RVs, etc. must meet NFPA 1192 regulations. And any trailers sold in Canada must meet CSA.
At least in the U.S.A., there's no agency charged with actual oversight of RV manufacturers, nor are there any enforceable "codes" attached to the construction of the living areas. The NFPA sets standards, but compliance by manufacturers is voluntary.

The RVIA does have a compliance certification program that includes inspections etc., but membership is strictly voluntary. My look at the various websites of American-made fiberglass trailers indicates that of that group only Oliver actually subscribes to this service. See this link. ( Oliver also belongs to/submits to inspections by the NATM, another industry group aiming to improve safety etc. in the construction of light-to-medium-weight trailers.)

Rules may be different in Canada...I think I read somewhere that Canadian manufacturers must get CSA (Canadian version of RVIA) certification. But I don't see any language re. such certification at Escape's website, so not sure if that's true or not.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #65

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Going back a few posts, (59, 60 & 61) a very important question was not asked:

What do the Bears do when their black tank is full???

I've heard to: a) never get between a mother bear and, her cubs and: b) to never get between a bear and their black tank......... and c) Always hike with a friend that you can outrun should you inadvertently do a or b.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #66

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Bob,
You left out answer D. Simply bring along a tank of propane and throw it at the bear. The propane, being so dangerous, will explode or at least combust, eliminating the bear. Problem solved. Even the slow runner doesn't get eaten!
Old 03-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #67

Now you did it....

Next post may well be from the BWA (The Bear Whisperers Association) who will be after us for even suggesting that we might hurt a bear that is attacking us.

But I am sure you are right about your suggestion. Every one knows that when an LP tank brushes up against anything furry that it's sure to explode

Old 03-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #68

Virginia
If the tank is empty, it isn't dangerous to any form of life, and is a lot lighter for carrying. The bear, however, will see the tank, think it's dangerous, become scared and run away. So the BWA can rest easy when it sees me and my (empty) tank.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #69

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I'll still use a .357 magnum
in my camp.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #70

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Bear? No problem...A little squirt of honey goes a long, long way!

Old 03-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #71

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Thanks Francesca for giving me a great idea for scaring off bears when camping.

At home when they come into my back yard I normally I just tell them to take off or bang something if they decide to ignore my polite request. When camping I always seem to have a few empty Sminoff Ice (the real *good* stuff not the US version ) bottles around - could just clang one of those up against the propane tank....oh yea it might explode... guess just clinking a couple of empties together will have to do.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #72

Virginia
Carl will have to use the Smirnoff method in Canada:-)
Old 03-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #73

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
Carl will have to use the Smirnoff method in Canada:-)
Yup he would but he could try in the US as well he just needs to get himself on the special delivery list of a Canadian Camping buddy and have a standing order of the *real* stuff each time they cross the line to camp with him... just as many others south of me do.... only issue is it tends to start fights amongst friends as to who's turn it is to get the special delivery. Seems no one likes to share these days
Old 03-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #74

Why Empty LP Tanks Are Better.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
If the tank is empty, it isn't dangerous to any form of life, and is a lot lighter for carrying. The bear, however, will see the tank, think it's dangerous, become scared and run away. So the BWA can rest easy when it sees me and my (empty) tank.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW... That gives me a great idea...

I am going to start carrying empty LP bottles on my FGRV.

1. They are much less dangerous when empty
2. They are easier to throw at bears and at the occasional menacing "Camp Cougar" often found lurking around FGRV's with single males therein
3. It will reduce tongue weight.
4. And by reducing weight that much I should get at least 3 more MPG's.

it's a win-win deal and, if I need to cook, have lights, watch TV, pump water, get warm or any of the other amenities associated with real camping, all I have to do is plug in my 50amp service cable to the always close by power outlet.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #75

Virginia
Bob, I think you've Got it!
Old 03-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #76

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I see that this thread has gone totally off topic. It is now closed.

Tags
propane