Propane & Electric vs Just Electric - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #41

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Propane 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
I have a Scamp that will heat with propane, hot water with propane and fridge with electric (12 aand 120V) or propane. Spoke to a mfgr. today who will only build moulded FG campers with electric, no propane. From the way he made it sound, propane is extremely dangerous in a camper. But, if I were boon docking say at Quartzsite, and wanted hot water, heat/AC, it would seem that a generator would be necessary. Courtesy dictates that a generator should not be used during sleeping hours. Two questions for those reading this:

1. Is propane all that dangerous? Are there that MANY explosions in campers every year? Are they caused by user oversight (leaving propane turned on while traveling). Or just the dangerous nature of the beast.

2. For those who are electric only, how do you handle heat/AC and hot water for bathing when there is no electric post to plug into?

I would be interested in knowing, to judge whether I would be willing to camp without the convenience propane affords and am I in THAT much danger.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
Propane Explosions 101
Propane tanks do not explode. They do not implode and nor do they rupture or come apart on their own. In fact, bringing a propane tank to the point of "explosion" is a tremendously difficult and time consuming task that's not as simple as most people think. Many people believe that a propane tank "explosion" can occur with the slightest of ease. This is not the case whatsoever and people should understand that a propane tank, operating under normal circumstances will not explode or rupture. Safety devices and mechanisms are in place to prevent explosions, accidents and propane tank ruptures or breaches. Just like any other hazardous material or activity, human error is a primary factor in preventing or contributing to any type of accident, however serious in nature.

Propane Tank Explosions, Accidents and BLEVE's
Old 03-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Found a Wood Burner

Here's a home made wood burning
stove in a camper. I digress.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:34 PM   #43

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I recall a few years ago someone had a real fireplace in their fiberglass trailer - was it at Bandon?
Old 03-05-2014, 02:04 AM   #44

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I wouldn't go near a camper without propane, but that's just me. I refuse to put that much money into something that I might possibly not be able to use somewhere. What if it's cold and you lose power at the campground? Grab more blankets? What if it's hot? Throw your food out? Campfires are great and I prefer them, but they don't work well in the wind and rain, or during burn bans.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:39 AM   #45

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
Jim, though I really like the Escape, it's not the delivery that made me choose another, but the 5-day drive to BC to watch over it like a mother hen. I'm sure to pester Snoozy to death, so maybe Escape escaped!
I'm a former Snoozy owner who now owns an Escape and live in northern VA. You can come see my 19 Escape to compare if you want! Just send me a PM.

I sold my Snoozy when it did not meet my personal needs and standards. My Escape exceeds all my expectations. I pestered Escape to death when designing my trailer and they NEVER lost patience! I think most Escape owners pestered ETI because we have so many options. Their QC is wonderful so there is no need to do "the 5-day drive to BC to watch over it like a mother hen." Besides, the build takes several weeks ... not days.

However, that said, only you know what will make you happy. If it is a Snoozy - then enjoy!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Old 03-05-2014, 06:07 AM   #46

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Propane dangerous? What about that tank of gasoline in your tow vehicle? Better tow your trailer with a bicycle! Sheesh! I know about trying to put one's product in its best light but I think that's going too far.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:34 AM   #47

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
I'm 70 years old & have had campers with propane most of my life, have 2 with tags on them right now The only problem I have ever had is a flex hose on the (outside tanks) developed a pin hole could smell the tracer they put on propane. changed the hose never another problem.
Camping on total Electric will NEVER happen for me.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #48

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Not afraid of propane. I heat my house with it. Fear of propane is not necessarily the reason to have a trailer without it.

I'm outfitting my Snoozy with it because it's a more efficient heater (water and air) than electricity, which will, for the most part be generated by solar panels, another option that will be done at the factory to my specifications.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #49

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
What I find most interesting about this whole gas-v-electric thing is that there are so many people for which is appears to be an article of faith.

Where we tend to camp here in Indiana - all the parks have electric hookups so I end up plugging in all the time. I also largely prefer cooking outdoors. I've warmed up water inside and cooked some side dishes - but most stuff goes outside on a grill (which is acceptable during burn bans here) or a portable propane stove. As a result, there's very little we use the onboard propane for. Basically, I turned the furnace on a couple of times.

I won't be bothering with propane in the Amerigo rebuild. The above pretty much explains why. Course, I won't be bothering with an electric stove either. Everything else will be electric. It's easier to rig up and the trailer didn't come with any gas stuff except the stove.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #50

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The entire issue was that a builder was hyping LP as being "Dangerous" and the OP was asking about comments on that. If someone wants do go with out LP gas in an RV that's their choice, but that choice shouldn't be made because of unsupported fearmongering....

BTW: Almost all federal parks and many state parks don't have hook-ups .....

Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #51

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Well, it appears to be obvious from the remarks here, that people are not afraid of propane, but their camping preference dictates it's importance in their trailer. I don't think propane is any more dangerous than a home having a gas stove, hw heater or furnace. When speaking to EggCamper yesterday, instead of focusing on the dangers of propane, if he had instead shown me how I could camp and be comfortable at a National or state park without propane, then it would be worth considering.

Bob Miller: Thanx for keeping the subject in focus.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Old 03-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #52

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
So many opinions. There are oodles of campers available - just pick the one (or more) that suits your wallet and has pretty much what you want inside. I'm pretty sure that there are lots of people towing a camper that isn't exactly what they dreamed of - but it was available close to home at a good price.

Personally - what we have is a 13' Trillium - don't particularly like the interior layout, but its good enough. We often camp off grid so 'no propane' would be a big disadvantage (likely we wouldn't seriously consider it). If it suits someone else I'd happy for them - lots of people don't want to camp anywhere except fully served campgrounds.

I like the interior of the all electric brand with those twin beds - but am nervous about the back door. We drive a lot on gravel roads and aren't convinced the back door won't let in the dust that gets kicked up.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #53

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Propane tanks do not explode. ...
In fact, bringing a propane tank to the point of "explosion" is a tremendously difficult and time consuming task that's not as simple as most people think. ...
Just like any other hazardous material or activity, human error is a primary factor in preventing or contributing to any type of accident, however serious in nature.
They can explode. Any flammable material needs to be handled correctly, including compressed gasses. This happened in extreme conditions.
Toronto propane explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think our governments would allow propane to be used to power engines, BBQ's, water heaters and furnaces etc. Whether in an vehicle, trailer or home if it was not safe to use in normal conditions. Proper training in the use and maintenance are key.

On edit: I use propane, using the appropriate precautions, without fear.

I just noticed sentencing in the explosion is due in the courts next week.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle15820691/
Old 03-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #54

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
Well, it appears to be obvious from the remarks here, that people are not afraid of propane, but their camping preference dictates it's importance in their trailer. I don't think propane is any more dangerous than a home having a gas stove, hw heater or furnace. When speaking to EggCamper yesterday, instead of focusing on the dangers of propane, if he had instead shown me how I could camp and be comfortable at a National or state park without propane, then it would be worth considering.

Bob Miller: Thanx for keeping the subject in focus.

Most us use propane and yes are not afraid of it. For me I haven't been "plugged in" to power in over a year and have camped over 150 days. Furthermore, there are few RV fires. Most of those fires are caused by other things than propane, candles, electrical, etc. In fact I believe that there are more electrical fires in RVs than propane fires.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #55

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watters View Post
What I find most interesting about this whole gas-v-electric thing is that there are so many people for which is appears to be an article of faith..
Faith? or actual experience? Think you will find that not only has the OP camped in more than one state so have many that have responded to their question as to whether or not propane appliances are dangerous and whether or not they could get by with an all electric trailer.

Not only have some of those who have responded actually owned all electrical trailers many also have actual experience with solar panels, as well as propane appliances and/or combinations of each. Many camp each year in more than one state/province. Due to their experience they have learned though experience the limitations of each under different conditions and their comments no doubt are based on that experience.

There are many places in North America that you will not find a sport to camp with electrical hook ups unless you go to a commercial campground. For example here in BC few of the Provincial campground offer power hooks ups and those that do have a very limited number of spots. I know that some of the nicest places I have stayed in the US and Canada (including a number of National Parks) had no power hook ups and there wasn't a campground with power anywhere near were I was camping or if there was it was it was not nearly as nice. Bottom line is for those who purchase a trailer with the intent on seeing more of North America as many do then having a trailer that is very flexible in regards to where you camp is a big part of making some of us very happy campers.

As far as using a campfire to keep warm at night or cook your food on you can forget it in a better part of the western & interior parts of NA from early summer to late fall due to camp fire bans. Thus the reason small portable propane fire pits have become so popular an item for many here.

As been said the issue/debate here isn't really about electrical vs propane equipped trailer and what each of us chooses to use. Thats a personal choose thats totally up to the trailer purchaser. But one of the big benefits to this type of user forum is people get to hear what other peoples actual experiences have been in order to help them make an informed choose.

The real issue is as I see it and apparently a few others is that a trailer manufacture is suggesting to someone that propane appliances are dangerous in order to justify why they do not offer them.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #56

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
In fact I believe that there are more electrical fires in RVs than propane fires.
This is true, but unfortunately if there's any propane appliance involved most folks presume propane to be the "cause".

One need look no further than discussions of the very widespread and ongoing Norcold fridge recalls. There have been a number of fires associated with those fridges, all of them caused by the electrical problem that's the target of the recall. And yet, nine people out of ten will mistakenly interpret the recall as due to some propane-related defect.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #57

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
when I camp out in my field, I have a 15 amp circuit to keep the battery charged--if I use the "cube electric heater" to keep warm, I'm More afraid of it, that I ever would be cooking on the 2 eye stove. & the fire extinguisher is @ the door.
I see no use of having any Camper if it's all electric.
i'm way out in the boonies to begin with, when the power goes off a lot, I can always keep warm & cook in "Cassie" if it were all electric it would be (absolutely useless).
my 2 cents to this conversation..
Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #58

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Propane & Electric vs Just Electric

Personally, I find it rather humorous that anyone, trailer manufacturer or otherwise would even suggest that propane is dangerous, and then would hitch up the trailer and drive at highway speeds on roads utilized by other drivers, some of whom are incapacitated by alcohol or drugs, distracted by cell phones, shaving or putting on makeup while driving down the road, trying to deal with misbehaving children in the back seat, etc. I hardly think propane ranks anywhere near the top of the list of dangers we face while camping or towing. Maybe we better start reinforcing the roofs of fiberglass campers in case of an unexpected meteorite storm.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #59

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
I'm afraid of bears.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
I'm afraid of bears.

I've heard a propane torch is an effective bear repellant!

Tags
propane