Propane cylinder vs tank - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 01:04 AM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I've had a few 1 pounders go empty after being used a short time and removed. But on the other hand I've never had a 1 pound Mapp gas tank do that even after being screwed on and off many times..... I do use the 1 pounders for the BBQ and hope they still have gas for the next use. I need to put a tee off the big tank.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:41 AM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I had one of those adapters back in the days when I was a tent camper. In order to get the 1 pound disposables to fill completely, I had to put them in the freezer and get them very cold. That wasn't a problem. The problem was that at least one out of every three would leak after filling, and "exercising" the valve (by attaching it to and detaching it from) a Coleman stove or lantern would not correct the leak. Typically, I could hear a slight audible hissing. That then created a problem not only because it was a waste of propane, but the disposable also had to be emptied for safety and/or environmental reasons. Since I didn't want to vent unburned propane to the atmosphere, I would have to attach the leaking tank to the stove and run both burners on high for several hours. It was a real PITA. So IMHO, the adapter does work as advertised but it really is a waste of money because of the weak link in the chain: the disposable bottle's valve. Anyway, that was my experience.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:12 AM   #23

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I agree with Steve.
When I got my trailer it had a roof-top AC unit but previous owner was from FL.
I live in Maine and the first 3 years used the AC unit twice but use the Furnace all the time so the larger LP gas bottle is what I need.
I also had a 20 pounder with a tree distribution pole that my lantern screwed onto the top and it had 2 other outlets to screw in has hoses to go to coleman stove and grill but found out if all 3 were being used the volume of gas wasn't sufficient enough and lantern would dim and flames would go low, Got rid of that and just use the small bottles for my lantern and still carry the 20# for coleman stove and table top grill.
OH YEA...I also cook just over the wood fire with a wire basket with burgers or hot dogs...YUMMMMY
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:01 AM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
We find that the standard #20 tank works well for our 13', providing enough gas for a multi-week trip without refilling (fridge, furnace, and some cooking). We do however do much of our cooking outside and disliked dealing with the disposable #1 tanks. I fabricated a mount for a #5 tank on the tongue adjacent to the larger tank (photo posted on the forum a year or so ago if you are curious). It can be refilled by the same vendors as the larger tanks and can be easily removed and set up in our screen tent for cooking at the camp site.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:30 AM   #25

Name: Rudy
Trailer: Burro
Alabama
Registry
We live on and acerage and have a 1000 gal propane tank for the house, garage and shop. Has anyone filled their #20 from one of those?
Old 04-14-2017, 06:38 AM   #26

Nothing worse then grilling supper or boiling water and wondering why is it taking sooooo looooong only to see flame is out. You now have to get out of your lounge chair / find another 1# propane bottle / change bottle, and by then every thing is cooled off so it's like starting over.
A few years back I found Dad's vintage red Coleman lantern that takes white gas (they call it Coleman fuel now)
I know it's another thing to carry and is not as bright as the propane ones but it gives me a warm feeling, remembering, back in the 60's, how proud my dad was to have such an extravagant item, when all we had before were candles.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #27

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Here is a link to the Uhaul 1 lb cylinders.
I have gasketed brass caps to seal my 1 lb cylinders that I bought at Camping World. I use these not because of the leaking refilled cylinders, because I haven't refilled one yet and may never, but rather just because and I found these on clearance sale.
Propane Cap: Camping & Hiking | eBay

Refillable 1 lb can
https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YS...2RPWXPVDG6YE1Q

https://www.uhaul.com/Refillable-1lb-Propane-Tank/

Refill rig
https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YS...2X5V34539C48EP
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #28

We've found that after using some new 1# cylinders and then storing for trip to next campground they sometimes leak out. NOT GOOD
Old 04-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Interesting. I have to remove the cylinder from the lantern to fit it into its custom case and I've had several instances of empty cylinders.
I've also found that the butane cylinders empty themselves when left in the stove, even though there is no pressure on the valve because the mechanism isn't in contact.
I've got one of those butane stoves (a Coleman)... what a great product and only twenty bucks! I usually get about 4-5 meals from one little cylinder. no leakage so far.
You know all this does illustrate the advantage of a pickup over an enclosed vehicle for carrying combustibles or loose items outside of the passenger space.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #30

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
propane

For us it's not an either - or, but both. We use the camper cook top when weather demands it or when we are cooking more than the grill and microwave can handle. I always grill, weather permitting. I use the 1lb tanks and get about 8 grillings to a tank. That's warm up and 6 minutes to a side with a 1" steak, a bit more for pork or chicken and less for burgers. OUR 20 LB tank isn't used often and lasts a couple of months if we're camping every day.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #31

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Throw away tanks are designed for one time uses and are prone to leaks if reused.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin748 View Post
Throw away tanks are designed for one time uses and are prone to leaks if reused.
When I mentioned the tanks leaked, I was talking about brand new tanks off the shelf.
I rarely use a full tank when cooking a few meals between camps and dismantle the grill or stove to travel and some, not all, but some of these tanks will have leaked out the remainder of the gas that was in the bottle.
I do not trust the refilled ones and I think someone told me that it was illegal in some states.
As some of you do use them, tell me, is this true?
Old 04-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #33

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Gerry
The DOT do not refill and transport is posted on each bottle.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #34

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Here's what it says on the label of one of my Coleman 16.4 oz. cylinders:
"Federal law forbids transportation if refilled - penalty up to $500,000 and 5 years imprisonment. "
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #35

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
Here's what it says on the label of one of my Coleman 16.4 oz. cylinders:
"Federal law forbids transportation if refilled - penalty up to $500,000 and 5 years imprisonment. "
It's a hollow warning/threat. There is absolutely no way anyone, other than the person who refilled one, could possibly know it was refilled. If someone were to make an inexpensive adapter valve that could be turned on and off like on a 20 pound cylinder, the leaking problem on partially used "new" tanks and refilled tanks would be alleviated.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #36

Wife reminded me that we did see 1# bottles at our dealer that said right on them "Refillable" right on them. Sorry can not remember manufacturer.
Wonder what makes these different, if anything, from others you get off the shelf?
Old 04-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #37

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida

redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've had a 5lb and now have a 10lb cylinder for the camp BBQ. I have a couple 1lb as backup.
Nothing screws up dinner like running out of propane, or having to change tanks while cooking. For that reason alone, I wouldn't use 1lb tanks.
However, it should be noted that if you take a ferry, such as BC Ferry, there are regulations on how many cylinders you can transport. I have two 20 lb on the hitch and put my 10lb. inside the trailer. Thus, I am illegal. Limit is two cylinders.
As ferry rates go up, this becomes less of an issue.

CORRECTION:
Propane Tanks

Propane valves must be closed and sealed with the tags issued at the ticket booth, and the cylinders must be upright and firmly secured, to prevent tipping.
  • Service repair vehicles may carry one 25kg cylinder.
  • RVs are permitted a maximum of two cylinders of not more than 25 kg each (50L water capacity each), provided they are connected to a regulator, and secured in or on the vehicle. Recreational vehicles may carry a third cylinder no larger than 15 kg (30L water capacity) for BBQ needs.
  • Passenger vehicles are permitted to carry one cylinder not to exceed 15kg.
  • SAFETY ALERT: "The brass valve in a propane cylinder will be damaged if it comes in contact with anhydrous ammonia. This deterioration will lead to cracking of the valve body or its components and can ultimately result in a violent, unexpected expulsion of the valve from the cylinder, causing personal injury or death." See full Safety Alert for more details.

Tags
propane