Propane cylinder vs tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #1

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Propane cylinder vs tank

I realized that the only propane device in my Burro is an Atwood two burner cooktop. We would usually only be using one at a time. (We plan to do most cooking outside) The stove probably uses about 5kbtu. If I leave the big propane tank at home, I can screw on a 16oz cylinder, rated at 22kbtu and should get about four hours of burn time, plenty enough for a weekend. I have an adapter that lets you hook them up. You can also refill those cylinders from the big tank. I can carry 2 or 3 and swap if needed.
(One reason for this is to make room for adding a ductless AC to the tongue.)
So why do they put big propane bottles on these campers anyway? Seems like overkill.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Cost, for one, and environmental concerns with throwaway cylinders. We cook a lot on a Coleman stove outside, and when we use only the cylinders, we can go through almost one a day.

Here's another possibility. It addresses the environmental concerns, but not the cost. Don't know what the current status is.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nia-75214.html

Usually I disconnect the tank from the trailer and use it to fuel the Coleman stove and a lantern. And yes, the tank lasts a long time. Many trailers have a fridge, furnace, and/or water heater, so they'll go through a lot more propane. We do have a furnace, so on the rare occasions we anticipate needing to use it I leave the tank on the trailer and use the small disposables on the Coleman.

I've considered replacing the 20# tank with a smaller 11# one to save weight and make access to the battery box easier. Having the standard size does have the advantage that you can do an exchange at a 24-hour convenience store in an emergency rather than having to find an open refill station.

Be careful when matching appliances and fuel sources. Different systems are regulated to different pressures.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
So why do they put big propane bottles on these campers anyway? Seems like overkill.

Generally because most people have other propane powered equipment besides the two burner stove. For example, in addition to the two burner stove, I also have a 3-way fridge, which can be run on propane, and a propane fueled furnace, and my water heater which can also be run on propane.

That being said, I don't often use my trailer's propane equipment (on propane) because we generally camp with full hookups or at least electricity. I downsized my trailer tanks to 2 1/2 gallon ones because I couldn't see hauling around all that extra weight for something I rarely if ever use. I filled these 2 tanks two years ago, and they are both still full.

When we camp, I take an extra 5 gallon composite (lightweight) tank along as a stand-alone propane source for my camp stove. We don't cook in the trailer and I like to do a lot of grilling anyway that create a lot of smoke and cooking odors which are best left outside.
Attached Thumbnails
casita 012.JPG   Keder Rail1.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If you lived in a moderate climate and had a furnace you would soon discover that the one lb propane cylinders are not practical.
Running our furnace , water heater , refrigerator and cooktop on propane , we can go through 3 to 4 , 20 lb propane tanks in a summer. I can have a 20 lb cylinder filled for $12 to $15 and the one lb cylinders cost $3 to $7 each , hardly a bargain.
We use to use 1 lb cylinders of propane to run our gas grill .
After one year we abandoned that Idea and bought an 11 lb propane tank. I got tired of having to change out gas cylinders in the middle of grilling supper.

I too have the adaptor for filling one lb cylinders from a 20 lb propane tank . Never worked well from day one . Lucky if I could get the cylinders half filled .
The twenty pound propane tanks are only overkill if you highly restrict your propane usage.

My A/C sits on my trailer roof where it doesn't take up useable storage space.
If I didn't wanted to carry propane tanks on my trailer then I would get an all electric trailer and plan on always camping with hookups.

PS ; We got 6 " of snow on Tuesday morning , still better than living in high heat and humidity . Turned on the trailer furnace and 2 hours later the roof was clear of snow . Another use for propane SNOW REMOVAL
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
U Haul has refillable 1 lb cans I think.
You might Google it to see.
We used the 1 lb cans with our tank less water heater until we swapped our VW TDI for a Town & Country.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Billy has a Burro, similar to our Uhaul, which most likely was not designed to support a rooftop A/C unit, therefore his idea for mounting it on the tongue as others have done with those trailers. As for running the interior stove off of the disposable tanks, I don't think that will work as the trailer probably has a two stage regulator. Cooking on an outside stove or grill can be done using the little green tanks or any larger refillable such as a 5, 7, 11, or 20 lb cylinder. Where to carry a larger cylinder may require some inventiveness with a tongue mount A/C. Amount of propane to have on any trip will be determined by duration and type of use. Billy's use will certainly vary from others, so he will have to decide what his needs are. We downsized our Casita to one 11 lb cylinder, and on a recent 3 month trip did not use any.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #7

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
The first thought was to unbolt the tank and carry in the car. Or just get a smaller tank. Or I might just carry the butane stove inside if I need to cook inside and just leave the damn tank at home!
(The butane stove works pretty well, is smaller and lighter than most propane ones. Been using one for years.)
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There are some of us that use the propane to power the fridge, the furnace and cook. We also camp in cold weather, sometimes way below freezing and furnace in pretty necessary. I've had the 5 gallon (20lb) tank run out in 3 days when the temperature outside dipped to 5°F.
Some of us camp for a lot longer than a week-end. We've been know to leave home and not get back for over 100 days.
My point there's lots camping methods, lengths, etc., Most trailers were designed to be off the grid, that unfortunately is changing. But that's OK as long as there's still place where I can camp without the need for electricity.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #9

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
I realized that the only propane device in my Burro is an Atwood two burner cooktop. We would usually only be using one at a time. (We plan to do most cooking outside) The stove probably uses about 5kbtu. If I leave the big propane tank at home, I can screw on a 16oz cylinder, rated at 22kbtu and should get about four hours of burn time, plenty enough for a weekend. I have an adapter that lets you hook them up. You can also refill those cylinders from the big tank. I can carry 2 or 3 and swap if needed.
You could use one large tank and not two if you have two. We have 2 tanks on our trailer and when one goes empty we can change over quickly by turning a lever. We've run out of propane when using our furnace before we bought our little electric heater. Sometimes it is cold enough to run both heaters for a little while. Not sure it would be safe to use a little 1 lb tank for a cook stove. Pressures could be different. Just because it might light doesn't mean it is safe. Might do weird things. I'd want to go through the regulator since it takes care of the pressure problem. Our trailer has a lot of propane use like the fridge, hot water tank, furnace and stove.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #10

Name: Roger
Trailer: Trails West Campster andTeardrop American
California
Registry
Quote:
I too have only the trailer stove to run off the tank. I plan on doing most of my of my cooking outside. I do have a furnace but I don't know if it works. So, I plan to use tank with my Coleman 2 burner outside. I assume that I need to get a regulator/adapter.
That being said, my local propane company sells a refillable cylinder for $12. They will refill it after that for $2 a pop. I'm in California so I don't availability elsewhere. This arrangement addresses the environmental concerns. The propane co. will also properly dispose of my "disposables".
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
It depends on how much propane you need. I have 5lb, 10 lb 20lb and 30 lb tanks. I always boondock and use them for my stove, oven, fridge and furnace. Running out, especially at night, is inconvenient.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
PS ; We got 6 " of snow on Tuesday morning , still better than living in high heat and humidity .
Says you. I used to live in cold areas (Idaho & Ohio), and have spent a winter in Minnesota, I'll take Florida any day. At least as long as I have to be somewhere, when I retire and can go where I want that may change!

That said, all my current camping propane appliances were made for the little cylinders but I run them off conversion hoses and a 20 pound bottle. I only carry the one 20 pounder but keep two of the little 1 lb disposables on hand in case we run out. This does not happen as I do not leave on a trip without enough propane in the 20. I have several (way too many) of the 20s and just swap to a full one for a trip using up the partial smoking or grilling at home. But then I am not using propane for snow removal.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Says you. I used to live in cold areas (Idaho & Ohio), and have spent a winter in Minnesota, I'll take Florida any day. At least as long as I have to be somewhere, when I retire and can go where I want that may change!

That said, all my current camping propane appliances were made for the little cylinders but I run them off conversion hoses and a 20 pound bottle. I only carry the one 20 pounder but keep two of the little 1 lb disposables on hand in case we run out. This does not happen as I do not leave on a trip without enough propane in the 20. I have several (way too many) of the 20s and just swap to a full one for a trip using up the partial smoking or grilling at home. But then I am not using propane for snow removal.
"Different strokes for different folks" I was only speaking for myself.
Winter in Minnesota and Wisconsin is my favorite time of the year.
Cold can affect your thinking just like extreme heat so take my comment with a grain of salt
Ohio is in the banana belt by my definition but I suspect you would disagree.
Time to go back outside and finish waxing my trailer , it's a balmy 48 deg and I'm enjoying the WARM weather.

Best Wishes
Steve D
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Why not just get a fill it yourself addapter and save $$$$?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1724545...D1200329100237

Disposable Propane Cylinder Connector / Adapter
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #15

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
...So why do they put big propane bottles on these campers anyway? Seems like overkill.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I hate to use this for a why but I believe it is illegal to transport disposable cylinders which are refilled, ostensibly for safety reasons. Not sure how they could tell though.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:07 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I hate to use this for a why but I believe it is illegal to transport disposable cylinders which are refilled, ostensibly for safety reasons. Not sure how they could tell though.
From the smell of leaking propane.

I have found that if I remove a half full 1 lb. from my Coleman lamp, next time I go to use it, it is empty.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:50 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
From the smell of leaking propane.

I have found that if I remove a half full 1 lb. from my Coleman lamp, next time I go to use it, it is empty.
I have used a single one pound cylinder about six times over two seasons removing it each time with no apparent loss. I have also removed partial cylinders from my torch kit for storage without apparent loss. None of these are refills though which is said to be the reason for the rule.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:33 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
If I DON'T remove the one lb cylinder from my torch it's empty the next time I need it.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:40 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Interesting. I have to remove the cylinder from the lantern to fit it into its custom case and I've had several instances of empty cylinders.
I've also found that the butane cylinders empty themselves when left in the stove, even though there is no pressure on the valve because the mechanism isn't in contact.

Tags
propane