Propane Fireplace - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-21-2006, 09:43 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I DO have the perfect spot for such a thing, in the dead space below the closet where my current cat heater resides.

I would have to give up my nifty bed table tho.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:13 AM   #16

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
Massachusetts
I took a look at these for all of the reasons you all have mentioned. I ended up ruling it out for a few reasons. With these units they are either on or off. You do not have the ability to control your interior temp via thermostat. So you very well might be getting up in the night to turn it up or down. The other concern was the venting. Since it was designed for a boat the instaltion guide on their site indicates taking the vent straight up through the roof or at a slight angle but not 90 degrees out the side. I am not sure how well it will respond venting out the side. I was not prepared to loose that much space to the chimney. Then there is where to put it so that it was truely enjoyable for what it was intended. My rig just didn't have a good location for it. And finally, was the cost. Now I was looking at new but I can get a brand new 12,000 btu funace on ebay for $350-400 and these units were $550+ In the end I seemed like a lot for a little ambiance and there are a lot more efficient ways to heat the space.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:17 AM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I was looking at the fireplace manufacturer's fuel consumption specs which Loren quoted, and they don't look right to me. Google "propane 'heating value'" and a bunch of sources return about 92000 BTU/gallon, and the US Army Corps of Engineers calls that 21,560 BTU/lb (seems about right); that's before the inefficiency of the heating appliance. At a wildly optimistic 80%, that's about 17,000 BTU of heat output per pound of propane burned, so at 9000 BTU/hour of output a one-pound can might last about two hours, not 5. Maybe there's something about their test method (only on less than half the time?) that I am not aware of.

Propane is the obvious energy source for heating a trailer, and 9000 BTU/hour should be more than needed to keep our little trailers warm in the temperatures most of us would camp in, but I'm not expecting miracles from my furnace and the propane consumption of keeping warm does seem worth considering.

One watt (one joule per second, or 3600 joules per hour) is about 3.4 BTU/hour (see Online Conversion - Energy, for instance), so that 9000 BTU/hr output is 9000/3.4 = 2638 W (about what the fireplace maker claims in their specs), quite a bit more than you can get out of a 15-amp AC circuit. Maybe good for my 17-foot Boler, but maybe overkill for a 13-footer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:23 AM   #18

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
My calc's came about the same as yours, Brian. Looking back at my scribbles, I got approx. 3 1/2 hours per lb at 6000 BTU output. Crank that into a 20 lb tank and you are looking at about 70 hours burn time per tank. I can accept that.

My use of a heater is the 'killer' night in southern Oregon on the way to catch some winter rays in S. Calif, or Arizona, and the second 'killer' night on the way back. Now I want to assure you that I am very much still alive, but those nights just aren't quite up to the pampering that I am accustomed.

Also be assured that my rebuilding the interior of this Scamp has little to do with being practical. I'm old enough to retire, and I have. I'm also old enough to be tempted by a yellow Mustang convertable -- hmmmm, maybe that' the problem!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:33 AM   #19

Gina -- I also haven't found a space I just need to get rid of to dedicate it to a fireplace.

I thought about the bottom of the closet, but ruled it out for three reasons. 1) the smoke/air pipe that comes with it is only 28 inches long. Another 28 inches runs nearly $100, and you might just need a third to complete the installation. 2) the smoke/air pipe then would need to run right through the closet above. 3) that position wouldn't allow for good viewing of the fireplace.

Since I've deleted the front bunks, that area is the most promising -- perhaps in the front/right corner next to the door.

Anyway, it's not a done deal yet. I still have my money and they still have their fireplace.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:34 AM   #20

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Heck, why not just stay at a CG with hookups and use an electric blanket? Silent and comfy warm, no installation hassle.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I know of a person that almost died from a smouldering electric blanket.....she`d passed out from the smoke and if her husband hadn`t returned home from partway to work because he forgot his work keys, she would have been gone...she spent about 2 months in hospital because of the smoke and heat in her lungs,....I`ve used an electric blanket to pre heat a bed at our cottage in the winter but always pulled the plug before retiring....Benny
Old 01-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #22

Electric blanket would be another possibility. Might be a good idea to install a smoke alarm or two. They don't cost all that much.

Problem is; in the winter we beat feet big time for rays. Oregon and Northern California just don't cut it. Our camping experience would be pull in about 11:30 pm, sleep for a few winks and pull out about 4:30 am. There aren't many campgrounds that cater to our needs. Usually in the winter we have found most closed and the few still open aren't interested in making a deal after 9 or 10 pm.

Several times we have been stopped in the Siskou's (mountain range in southern Oregon) overnight waiting for the highway patrol to open the road due to snow, ice or slides. I'm sure a little propane fireplace would be kind-of cheerful on such an occasion.

Not a done deal yet. I hadn't considered an electric blanket. I've never used one. And I wasn't aware there was a smoke hazard in using them. But I can understand with repeated folding as you would do in a camper, internal wire strands could break, cause a high resistance and a hot spot.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:41 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Gina reports that there is a definite smoke/fire hazard with electric blanket if it's improperly used by placing something on top of it (or letting it clump up, I would guess).

I prefer a good sleeping bag as backup to my propane heater which is backup to my electric cube heater.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:14 PM   #24

West Coast USA
Registry
I actually HAD to resort to my electric blanket this weekend. One of my children got ill on my sleeping bag, so I had to make up a "Real" bed, with sheets and stuff. I only had the blanket and nothing else. Not warm enuff even with the heater going.

The blanket I have detects hot spots.. Like when the dog decides to join you when you are not looking, and it shuts itself off.

I had to turn it on several times during the nite, move the dog off and try to COVER her, but she always migrated back to the top..

It shut off each time tho.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #25

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
Massachusetts
Well Gina you need a dog like mine. When she was about 12 weeks old she managed to climb up onto the bed and crawled under the covers between us all the way down to our feet. We were concerned at first that she would sufocate but its now 10 years later she's still fine. For those of you who might say Eww I'd never let my pet under the covers, I didn't have much of a choice in the matter. She trained me to lift the covers for her in my sleep. I kid you not, my wife has watched me do it and questioned me in the AM. No idea at all.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #26

I was surprised to watch this subject develop into a two page topic, but the downside of it all is to see it finally go to the dogs.

Just kidding!!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:34 PM   #27

West Coast USA
Registry
Loren, go to your room!
Old 02-02-2006, 06:39 AM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I was surprised to watch this subject develop into a two page topic, but the downside of it all is to see it finally go to the dogs.

Just kidding!!
Topic titled Propane Fireplace suddenly becomes "Two Dog Night."

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote