Propane Fridge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Propane Fridge

Well, I finally got around to checking out how the Fridge works on propane. The previous owner said that they used it on 110 and it worked quite well, but they had never used it on propane. I had tried it out on 110 and it worked well for me as well.

Shortly after I got the trailer last fall, I took it into a RV service place to have the electrical and propane systems checked out. They spent several hours troubleshooting and repairing the 12 volt system that had had several modifications done to it over the years and got everything working fine.

They also checked out the propane system for any leaks and said all was fine. They only checked the fridge on electric and said it seemed to be working fine, but they only tested it for about an hour, didn't let it cool down completely. Told me if it was working on electric, it should also work on propane without problem.

Well, yesterday afternoon I finally decided to light up the fridge on propane. As expected, and found in all of my experience with Piezo lighters, the igniter did not work. The fridge was very easy to light with a conventional lighter, however (once I found the location of the pilot). I just left the temp setting where it was, at 3. Went out several hours later and the fridge was quite cold, so I added some water to the ice cube trays and went to bed. This morning the refrigerator section is at 37 degrees and I have very solid ice cubes in the freezer section.

My conclusion, this old fridge is working just fine. The manual for the fridge gives instructions for changing out the igniter, but my experience with them is so bad, that I doubt I'll bother. Other than still working on the new brakes which were installed earlier this year, I'm now quite confident everything is in working order and ready to go.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
What's the temperature outside? Not to try to make you worry, but my experience with my fridge so far is that it cools extremely well when the temps are below 70. Once it gets into the 70s it starts losing the battle, and in the 80s, my fridge is up in the 60s.

Just something to be aware of. If you haven't tested it in warmer weather, keep a close eye on it once you hit those higher temps.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, propane