Propane Regulator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 Scamp 13 ft
I am reinstalling propane in my Scamp 13 which was missing when I got it. I have the bottle and got a repacement Suburban 2 burner cooktop. I have the propane bottle and I need to install the regulator and line. Would a regulator available for grills etc at Lowes or Home Depot work? Is there anything better than copper line for gas and propane to connect the cook top to the tank? My plumber has the copper and parts for that part but wanted to hear what others here have to say.

Greg
Las Cruces, NM

'86 Scamp 13
Greg G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
By RIVA specs; should run black steel, but I've seen copper and even rubber hose used.

I use a grill regulator on mine just connected to the piping and tested.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
My Uhaul has iron pipe underneath, and copper inside.

I presume the iron pipe outside is for protection from debris.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 1986 Scamp 13 ft
If I can find and use suitable hose or the softer bendable copper, I can thread mine inside. I will only be using it with the cooktop for coffee, heating water etc and the tank will be off the rest of the time. I just have to figure a secre and weather proof way to go through the front fiberglass shell. I saw one once that used a wire/conduit clamp and wrapped the copper in hose then clamped it and caulked it.

Greg
Greg G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #5

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Remember: When using 3/8" or 1/4" (inside diameter) flexible copper tubing your connecting links can ONLY be flared connections. Do not under any circumstances use soldered connections, and you'll be fine.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Our Scamp uses rubber hose from the regulator to the front of the trailer fiberglass shell. At that point there is a waterproof feed-through with flared connections on both sides.

I would think you could source these at a trailer supply, or if that comes up empty, the Scamp factory would have them for sale.

Once inside our trailer, the original installation was copper and flared fittings. Over the 25+ years the stuff had become stiff and corroded, so I changed it out to rubber hose several years ago with no problems.

In any case, I would recommend a propane detector. They are quite accurate and reliable if mounted in the right position and not very expensive. You never know, it might save your life!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
When running piping and wiring thru a wall; always use a grommet!! This not only creates a seal but prevents chafing. This is a SAFETY ITEM!!
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Loren,

Yes the gas regulator will work, this regulator has a smaller gas flow fixed orifice than the ones at a trailer supply, the total amount of gas flow is smaller than the RV type, two appliances like a two burner stove or gas light with it or a furnace is about all it can handle.

The inner connective surface is designed to depress the inner working parts of the newer tanks, it is not compatible with other tanks being a different thread.

I have used these in emergency situations with good results as long as the total gas requirements are small with the correct tank.

The other irritating issue is they may not seat properly and simulate a gas restrictions more than the rv type. Also the O rings on the valve need replacing more often.

There have been cold weather issues too in 0 degree climates with these.

I prefer two stage regulators myself for more even regulation across a broader range of total gas flow conditions. eBay saves allot over the stores that gouge.

To answer the question though to your specific question here...Yes...They can within their design specs for an average barbecue.

Happy Camping, Safe Trails.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane