Propane regulator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #1

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
Propane regulator

This evening I removed what is possibly the original LP tank off of the (new to me) 1987 16ft scamp, and part of the regulator crumbled in my hand. I admittedly don't know much about propane regulators- I can describe what crumbled and I know that rv propane regulators are not the same as the regulators used on gas grills.

On top of my regulator there was a white (ceramic/plastic?) circle, and it collapsed in when I brushed against it. I'm assuming that this piece was part of proper function of the regulator.

Also, I am headed out for a quick weekend trip on Saturday midday and would like to have propane on this trip. Does anyone have any Minneapolis area suggestions for where to find this kind of propane regulator? I think I found a suitable replacement at Menards: Propane Two Stage Regulator at Menards
DrewSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Any RV shop or Propane Dealer can sell and install a new regulator. Replace the hose from the regulator to the tank.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The plastic was just a cover. RV propane regulators are 2 stage regulators. To get from the high, variable pressure in the tank they regulate it down to where it's easier to regulate the low pressure needed for RV appliances.

I would replace the regulator, they can be found an any RV place. The propane tank will probably have to be replaced too. Look at the valve handle, if it's hide of triangular shape the tank could be OK. Easiest way to check is to take it to one of the places that fills propane tanks and ask them about it. By law they can't fill it if it's not current. The safest way is to replace it.

Most newer regulators mount to the frame and have a hose to the tank. Less stress on the fittings. This regulator doesn't have the current preferred threads.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #4

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
you have to get a new hose anyway, the old style end can't be used anymore. whaich of course means a new tank to go with it,,,,and a new regulator......oh heck just order a new scamp....(wink)
Old 10-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That little protrusion on the upper right which looks like a hose connection should be vertical when mounted, it is a vent in the regulator and water should not accumulate to block the vent.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #6

Minnesota
I already have a new, full propane tank on hand (I do a lot of grilling)- headed to menards after work for propane fittings to convert this "old school" system to the current one.
As you can see in the photo, small diameter metal tubing was carrying the propane from the regulator all the way to the scamp. Long term, I'd like to reduce this back to the trailer and run more flexible (less likely to be damaged) tubing. This is more common, yes?

Thank you everyone!

Sometimes I wish I could have afforded to buy a new scamp instead of a scamp born the same year as me- but then I remember I would miss all this fun!

(Photo is date stamp on original fire extinguisher, going to replace that too)
Attached Thumbnails
image-1181723433.jpg  
Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Don't forget your propane and smoke detectors need replacing also,
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #8

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Just changed our regulator and drained the black goo from the line. Upgraded to a unit the has a lever that can be set to each tank will turn red and auto switch to second tank than when you look you can flip the switch to the current tank running and go fill the empty tank. Thought what a great idea!
We have a two year old propane/carbon monoxide detector and just tested it and added a new battery.

Still have the original brackets on trailer had to hacksaw through the rivets holding the regulator at brackets cutting a little of the regulator to prevent loss of galvanized material on the brackets then used tech screws in holes for new unit, first screwed them in to make threads then used needle nose pliers to reinsert screws into new unit.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #9

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
In the picture top center looks to be position of original brackets?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #10

Minnesota
On my Scamp, the black marks in the picture are from the battery box rubbing against the shell. I am currently on a 1-tank setup. Battery had been removed to make maneuvering the Scamp on an uneven surface easier.

After replacing the regulator (thankfully the tank was a new kind)- I discovered a large tear in the "flexible" copper piping right where it has been run to make a 90 degree turn out of the Scamp. Not the best design.... cut it back and added a flare fitting to connect to a rubber propane hose, which now runs out of the scamp to the regulator/propane tank. Everything works great, thank you everyone!

Ps- yes definitely need to ADD a smoke/propane detector to the Scamp. I'm hearing battery powered is the way to go?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I use 1" Aluminum angle to mount LP regulators parallel to the frame. Shorten the service line with compression fittings, then add a flex hose to the tank and you are done. BTW: You may need a special "RV" adaptor to connect the flex line to the fitting on the input side of the regulator.

Best bet is to just bite the bullet and get it done right the first time at an RV or LP shop. An LP fire will ruin an otherwise nice weekend.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #12

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I think it's worth mentioning that the "flex hose" mentioned above is the rubber kind- metal flex hose isn't approved for mobile applications. RV regulator-to-tank flex hose is readily available in a wide variety of lengths, and comes with the correct fittings already installed.

Also
The "old" regulator in the photos above is NOT meant to be mounted vertically- it's a "horizontal mount" and won't function properly in a vertical position. I only bring this up in case you bought a similar one as a replacement.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewSK View Post
This evening I removed what is possibly the original LP tank off of the (new to me) 1987 16ft scamp, and part of the regulator crumbled in my hand. I admittedly don't know much about propane regulators- I can describe what crumbled and I know that rv propane regulators are not the same as the regulators used on gas grills.

On top of my regulator there was a white (ceramic/plastic?) circle, and it collapsed in when I brushed against it. I'm assuming that this piece was part of proper function of the regulator.

Also, I am headed out for a quick weekend trip on Saturday midday and would like to have propane on this trip. Does anyone have any Minneapolis area suggestions for where to find this kind of propane regulator? I think I found a suitable replacement at Menards: Propane Two Stage Regulator at Menards
The new design bottles have both internal and external threads which allow the old style regulators (like the one in the photo)to be attached.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #14

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
flex lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewSK View Post
As you can see in the photo, small diameter metal tubing was carrying the propane from the regulator all the way to the scamp. Long term, I'd like to reduce this back to the trailer and run more flexible (less likely to be damaged) tubing. This is more common, yes?
\In most of our trailers, the rubber flex hose from the trailer connects to a copper line which then runs to the distribution points for appliances. Personally, I would put it back to the way it was designed.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane