Propane Tank Cover suggestions please - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Propane Tank Cover suggestions please

I bought a nice hard covered one at Camping World and it will not fit the Scamp due to where the gas lines are placed. Grrrrrrr!
I have a brand new Propane tank cover that I can not use

Are there any Scamp owners out there with a propane cover over their tanks, and if so how did you fit them over those tanks? Thanks.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Karalyn,

We recently bought a Camco tank cover from RV Parts Outlet for our 1999 Scamp 16' and it fits perfectly: RV PARTS OUTLET I don't know what brand Camping World sells, but we have not been able to use their covers in the past, and got really tired of replacing the flimsy vinyl zippered covers.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
Karalyn,

We recently bought a Camco tank cover from RV Parts Outlet for our 1999 Scamp 16' and it fits perfectly: RV PARTS OUTLET I don't know what brand Camping World sells, but we have not been able to use their covers in the past, and got really tired of replacing the flimsy vinyl zippered covers.
My tank cover looks exactly like yours Vivian. Thanks for your reply. My propane hose from the tanks to the camper is in the way of sliding the cover over those tanks. The only thing I can think of to do is to cut part of the tank cover off to make room for the hose. Thinking that could cause the tank cover to be really losse and possibly blow away going down the road.

Those flimsy vinyl zippered covers are only good for one season. Not worth it.

Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
My tank cover looks exactly like yours Vivian. Thanks for your reply. My propane hose from the tanks to the camper is in the way of sliding the cover over those tanks. The only thing I can think of to do is to cut part of the tank cover off to make room for the hose. Thinking that could cause the tank cover to be really losse and possibly blow away going down the road.

Those flimsy vinyl zippered covers are only good for one season. Not worth it.

Anyone else have an opinion?
Could you put on a longer hose so that it would flex out of the way and come out the bottom?
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Could you put on a longer hose so that it would flex out of the way and come out the bottom?
This is what my hose does, it is long enough to go down through the gap in the bottom between the tank shelf and the generic Camco hard cover, which I modified to better fit the short 20lb tanks by cutting the bottom 1/3 off of the cover.
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOTTOM VIEW.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	31766
7-pin cable to left, flex gas line to right; next to center rail

Click image for larger version

Name:	SIDE VIEW.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	31767 Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0607.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	31768
Look for nut at center of top of cover (with flamingo leg inserted into hollow drilled into all-thread)

I also use the long piece of all-thread that the pressure regulator and the top tank clamp are attached to... mine is long enough to protrude through a small hole I cut in the top of the cover, where a washer and 3/4" nut hold the tank cover securely in place.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I have a Scamp with twin tanks and the hard cover.

I just went to a barbecue/repair store and had them make a longer hose for me.
I also bought longer pigtail hoses so I could put a twist in and make them fit.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
I bought a nice hard covered one at Camping World and it will not fit the Scamp due to where the gas lines are placed. Grrrrrrr!
I have a brand new Propane tank cover that I can not use

Are there any Scamp owners out there with a propane cover over their tanks, and if so how did you fit them over those tanks? Thanks.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #7

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
It look slike the fiberstream is afraid to touch the ground! You must take excellent care of it.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #8

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Do they make those plastic clamshell covers for single 20 lb tanks?
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:02 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Not in the catalog I have, just doubles. (

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
I haven't seen a hard plastic cover for single tanks, while they do make soft vinyl covers, that don't seem to last long or close up properly.

I always thought a round trash receptacle of the correct diameter might be inverted and re-purposed as a cover...
Old 10-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
:I always thought a round trash receptacle of the correct diameter might be inverted and re-purposed as a cover...
I like that kind of thinking!
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #12

I ordered the vinyl ones from Amazon. When they wear out hopefully I will remember the garbage can idea.
Thanks for your help everyone. Maybe next summer I will take the Scamp in to have the propane line extended as it should have been in the first place.
THANKS EVERYONE
Old 10-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
I always thought a round trash receptacle of the correct diameter might be inverted and re-purposed as a cover...
I did just that for the single on my 13...sort of. It was actually a scale in a bucket that I have not been able to find since. Its called a Mugadot. I don't think they are made anymore.

As a scale it stunk, but it sure was easy to use! Simply drop the tank down into the secured "Bucket", bungie down and be done with it.
Attached Thumbnails
ScreenHunter_01 Oct. 26 20.17.gif  
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #14

Well the single propane covers I ordered from Amazon did not fit either. I give up for now. I miss my Casita more with each thing I try to spruce up with this Scamp. Next summer I will have the line redone so I can use the hard cover like I had on the Casita.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #15

I amiled my propane covers back to the company I got them from through Amazon.com yesterday. They came UPS so I sent them back UPS. The shipping charge was over $14.00 and the covers cost just over $22.00.
RETURN MAILING CHARGE WAS UNREAL! How does Amazon and these other mail order companines do this? There was no chage to mail them to me, yet it cost me over $14.00 to send them back. I feel I got took big time!!!!!!!!!
I won't be doing mail order again in the near future. I feel I almost paid for the coveres that I had to return.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #16

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
You should have just kept them at that price. Shipping is getting more expensive every day, especially on heavy items or large bulky items. I think most of these retailers have a large discount with the shipping companies based on volume, the shipping companies make up for it by gouging the individual shippers. You do have to be careful and make sure you know what you are ordering online is exactly what you want, I do my best to rely on product reviews and recommendations before I order something online to avoid your situation.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote