Propane Tank Storage Options - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-21-2006, 10:04 AM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
I for one don't like big booms of that type.
Spoilsport...

FWIW, there are many applications for horizontal LP tanks. I have two forty-pound Worthington aluminum horizontal tanks on my Airstream. As was mentioned above, forklifts use them, as to most motorhomes. The don't, of course, adhere to the OPD valve standard because OPD valves won't function horizontally. Tanks manufactured to be used horizontally are exempt from the OPD requirements. My tanks are under the tapered cover on the tongue.

I decided this winter to cover the tanks on the Scamp. I used a good quality black trash bag. It fit snugly over the two tanks and regulator and has been happily protecting them from the elements all winter. It doesn't even look trashy! (pun intended...)

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Airstream_3021.JPG  

Old 03-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
...The(y) don't, of course, adhere to the OPD valve standard because OPD valves won't function horizontally. Tanks manufactured to be used horizontally are exempt from the OPD requirements....

Hmmm. I'm going keep my opinion open on this. Manchester makes horizontal tanks with an OPD valve, so perhaps the industry has caught up some since the OPD standard was introduced.

http://www.mantank.com/products/steel_propane/20.htm

As to whether they're exempt or not, I will defer to Roger who has probably looked this all up. Probably a different set of rules for permanently installed tanks vs. portable tanks.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Interesting reference, Steve.

The linked page at Manchester Tank does clearly show a horizontal tank with OPD-equipped valve. It's also clearly apparent in the photo that the horizontal tank has distinct top side - although the cylinder shape is horizontal, the valve is still always on top.

Their Product Safety page has a Helpful Hints link, which has a nice clear section entitled...
CAUTION: USE LP-GAS CONTAINERS IN PROPER POSITION.

The same page also addresses the use of 80% fill ports and weighing for control of filling (FILLING YOUR LP-GAS CONTAINER), which addresses the issue we discussed in the topic Propane tank Level?. The dip tube (to 80% level) and port are what Manchester calls a "fixed level gauge"; note that these are not provided in all tanks, and in fact are not in any of the tanks I have seen for sale in the Edmonton area (OPD or not).

Manchester Tank seems to be a good source of clear propane handling information. Thanks, Steve.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #18

Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Fascinating, Steve! That's a new development since last I looked!

I would say at this point that for the forseeable future, most of the horizontal tanks are permanent mounts, although the Worthingtons I have are portable and remain exempt. It'll be interesting to see how long they stay that way, I guess. That new Manchester tank obviously has an "up" side that my Worthington aluminum tanks don't have.

Roger
Old 03-25-2006, 10:43 PM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
That new Manchester tank obviously has an "up" side that my Worthington aluminum tanks don't have.

Roger
Im not sure how your tanks dont have an "up" side to them unless they are made to be filled to less than 50%. If they have a standard vapor tube in them, you have to make sure the vapor tube is in the proper place or it will allow liquid to go to the regulator (Unless of course your regulator is made for this, I dont know anything about Airstreams). Forklift tanks have 4 fittings on them, vapor and gas mounted horizonally and vapor and gas mounted vertically. Usually the vertical connections are plugged as forklifts use the horizonal mounting but they are usually there.

Rich
Old 03-26-2006, 08:38 AM   #20

Iowa
I don't know either, Rich. Obviously the valve is different, but the tanks are identical to a 40# Worthington vertical tank. There is no "up" indicated when the tank is lying on it's side. The valve is located in the same place as well, in the center of the collar. I've never paid much attention to the regulator though, so it may in fact, be OK with liquid LP reaching it.

Roger