Propane while traveling ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I'm puzzled. Everything I have ever heard about the older propane, or propane/electric fridges says they are really touchy about needing to be level when run, both for effective operation and to prevent damage. Pretty sure not going to stay level being towed.
The issue with not being level while parked is that the fluid might separate and gather in one spot, then the liquid would boil off and the now un-suspended solids would plug the piping and the fridge won't function at all after that happens.

While driving the agitation of the trailer going down the road prevents this effect, so it is feasible to run on propane in motion without fearing separation/boil-off/clogging.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #22
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell O View Post
Why not flip the switch to 12v and let the battery (and alternator) run the fridge?
When you stop for any length of time the fridge needs to be turned off or you risk dead batteries. Also I have found that the high current demand of the fridge doesn't allow the trailer battery to charge as well. While there are cures for both these issues, we bring the ice chest anyway, might as well use it. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #23

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
No. i plug in the day befor i leave and bring the fridge to temp with 120 volt. when i travel i put it on 12 volt, it will hold the temp till i get where i am going. boon docking i use gas, otherwise 120volt.
if you travel with it in gas mode your tank valve is on. in case of any accident you have a potential gas leak with the dangers that involves.
if the pilot light blows out the thermocoupler will shut the pilot off anyway so thats not an issue.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #24

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Traveling thru Canada and Alaska, we found that our new battery would not be charged enough, to run the heater at night (cold nights). The fan would come on but the furnace would not ignite because the power was below 12volts. We shifted to running gas while traveling and had no problem again, (2 months, went above the arctic circle). We now have a 50 watt solar panel on the roof and run electrical while traveling all the time.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #25

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Not saying it don't work just wondering how well and what long term effect running while driving would have on the fridge.
This article explains it in the very last line, following a lot of information on how these fridges work.
Frederick is right on the money.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #26

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
thanks Roy; read the article, very informative
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell O View Post
Why not flip the switch to 12v and let the battery (and alternator) run the fridge?
One of the reasons people do not like to use the 12V option on 3 way fridges is due to the *BIG* battery draw that many of the older fridges use up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #28

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
if you travel with it in gas mode your tank valve is on. in case of any accident you have a potential gas leak with the dangers that involves.
I thought the newer valves on the tanks automatically shut off with leaks. I know my BBQ at home would not light some times if we cranked the valve open too quickly.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I thought the newer valves on the tanks automatically shut off with leaks. I know my BBQ at home would not light some times if we cranked the valve open too quickly.
LOL dont count on that working for you. One of my neighbors lost his home last week due to a faulty propane tank and yes it was a new one. I was sitting the border line up heading out of town when a breaking news story came on that there was a house fire up on the hill and the gave the name of the street & that it was so big it could be seen from all over Vancouver - had to phone another neighbor to make sure it wasnt my house. Good news is that no one was hurt but the house is gone.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #30

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H

One of the reasons people do not like to use the 12V option on 3 way fridges is due to the *BIG* battery draw that many of the older fridges use up.
I wired the 12v option to my 3-way fridge for the Yellowstone trip wondering why the PO hadn't done it. Now I know! You can't have it on
For more than an hour without draining your battery and the alternator has to work to hard to use it while traveling.

Are there better 3-way fridges now?

I am using ice now because the propane flame is still in the wrong place. And I don't like having propane on all the time as a general thing.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I wired the 12v option to my 3-way fridge for the Yellowstone trip wondering why the PO hadn't done it. Now I know! You can't have it on
For more than an hour without draining your battery and the alternator has to work to hard to use it while traveling.

I am using ice now because the propane flame is still in the wrong place. And I don't like having propane on all the time as a general thing.
Brooke, what gauge of wire do you have running from the tow vehicle battery to the trailer battery? If it is too small, your trailer battery won't charge due to the voltage drop, especially with the refrigerator on 12 volt option.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #32

California
10 gage.

Charges my battery to 13+ quickly as long as the 12v fridge is not draining the battery.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #33

Quote:
10 gage.

Charges my battery to 13+ quickly as long as the 12v fridge is not draining the battery.
Right. The fridge draw amperage causes a voltage drop in the 10 gauge wire severe enough so that the charging voltage at the trailer battery is inadequate. It might be worth your while to add a second and/or heavier wire to allow you to run the fridge while the tow vehicle is running. You really can't run a 3 way fridge off the battery alone.

You could measure the voltage at the battery with the tow vehicle running with and without the fridge turned on (12 volts) to prove this to yourself.

Voltage Drop Calculator, Amperage Tables, Wire and Cable Technical information
Old 06-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #34

California
The fridge is connected to the battery with the recommended 14 gauge wire and it draws down the battery very quickly.

The DC option doesn't keep the fridge very cool anyway. Ice works better and it is easy. I have dedicated the middle shelf to an ice holder and it works for 2-3 days depending on the weather.

AC is best but I haven't gotten any hookup sites this trip.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #35

Quote:
The fridge is connected to the battery with the recommended 14 gauge wire and it draws down the battery very quickly.

The DC option doesn't keep the fridge very cool anyway. Ice works better and it is easy. I have dedicated the middle shelf to an ice holder and it works for 2-3 days depending on the weather.

AC is best but I haven't gotten any hookup sites this trip.
Sounds like you have a solution that works for you.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:

Keeping small ice packs in the freezer while running the fridge at the campground and then just transfer then into the fridge beside dairy products & meet to keep them cold while on the road and dont open the fridge!!!

Yes some of the much newer fridges are a lot better on battery power.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #37

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
We leave the camper plugged in all the time, that way all the ketchup and mustard etc can stay in there. Then, although the longest trip we have made is 3 hours we just load it up and unplug right before we leave, everything stays cold and we have never had a problem. I am just not comfortable with the propane on while driving.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #38

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoss View Post
We leave the camper plugged in all the time, that way all the ketchup and mustard etc can stay in there. Then, although the longest trip we have made is 3 hours we just load it up and unplug right before we leave, everything stays cold and we have never had a problem. I am just not comfortable with the propane on while driving.
We do the same thing. The fridge is running 120 at the moment. The difference is our longest trip can be 2 days. Even then I don't worry too much about it. The fridge stays cool enough for that long, except in 90°+ temperatures.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #39

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoss View Post
We leave the camper plugged in all the time, that way all the ketchup and mustard etc can stay in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
We do the same thing. The fridge is running 120 at the moment.
I also keep the trailer plugged in and the Fridge running on AC since I replaced the old original converter with one that has a smart charger. It seems to be easier to keep it cold than it is to make it cold.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #40

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Carol, as you say, you can blow the place up. And a few people including yourself with it. We have no desire to take such a chance when we can use ice packs for travelling. By the way, Good Sam gets lots of calls for refrigerator fires.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane