Propane while traveling ? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #41

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
The Dometric is supposed to shut off the LP supply if the pilot light goes off going down the road.But...your propane tank will still be open.As they say...Manure Occurs.
I travel with most of my perishables in coolers w/ ice,keeping the dometric running on 12 volt while driving,then switch back to 110 or LP upon destination.And I agree...the last thing I want is to be involved in an accident with pilot light on and a propane tank open.
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #42

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We pretty much always get the fridge cold on AC at home. For short trips in cooler weather, I don't turn the propane on until I get to where I am going. For longer trips and hotter weather, I always turn it onto propane (except of course where not allowed).

No way I am letting my ice cream melt or my beer get warm.

Most folks we camp with do the same too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #43

Name: Rod
Trailer: 2014 GWV Trillium Sidekick 1500
British Columbia
Registry
I have an older dometic 3 way in my '78 Trillium and the DC works fine for me, you just have to remember to turn it off for stops of more than an hour. I always start it on AC at home and stuff it with everything cold and switch it to DC while towing. I found the DC to be less sensitive to needing to be level and the AC the most sensitive, but after reading the "how it works" post above I guess this could just be my imagination. Once I get to where I am going I use propane, assuming that there is no AC. Once I forgot to switch from propane to DC as I broke camp and drove about 1000 KMs with it on. The pilot never blew out and I drove through rain, winds, etc. The way the pilot and burners are setup I am not sure how the fridge would catch on fire. The one thing that I know that is super important is to make sure the back of the fridge is properly sealed to the inside of the camper shell or you might not wake up! I bought a combination CO2 and Propane alarm because I love being alive.

I am a Trilliumaire - I can go camping anytime, any place, anywhere.
Rodre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #44

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodre View Post
I have an older dometic 3 way in my '78 Trillium and the DC works fine for me, you just have to remember to turn it off for stops of more than an hour. I always start it on AC at home and stuff it with everything cold and switch it to DC while towing. I found the DC to be less sensitive to needing to be level and the AC the most sensitive, but after reading the "how it works" post above I guess this could just be my imagination. Once I get to where I am going I use propane, assuming that there is no AC. Once I forgot to switch from propane to DC as I broke camp and drove about 1000 KMs with it on. The pilot never blew out and I drove through rain, winds, etc. The way the pilot and burners are setup I am not sure how the fridge would catch on fire. The one thing that I know that is super important is to make sure the back of the fridge is properly sealed to the inside of the camper shell or you might not wake up! I bought a combination CO2 and Propane alarm because I love being alive.
My concern has never been with the fridge catching on fire. Modern gas appliances are pretty safe that way. My concern is traveling where all sorts of stuff on the road get thrown around by tires, not necessarily my tires, cutting the hose between the propane tank and the regulator. Even between the regulator and trailer. Leaking large volumes of propane around hot exhausts is the concern.

Things fly around a lot on the roads we travel. Ever notice how roadside workers all have hard hats on even though there's nothing overhead. Stuff flying around is why.
My experience -- Traveling on the freeway a gravel dump truck 4 lanes away, through a rock out from between the dual tires and went through my grill. When I saw him and there wasn't much traffic I moved as far as away as possible and still got nailed.
Stuff does fly around.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #45

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
How about one of those freezers that plugs into an outlet in your pickup bed. I have three "cigarette lighters" in my shell that I could use. Anyone seen anything like that? Marg in NW California
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #46

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
check this out: 12 Volt TV, GPS for Trucks, 12 Volt Refrigerators, Truck GPS,12 Volt Heaters
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #47

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Ummm.....

The thread is about "Do you turn off your propane when you are traveling"?

I'm struggling - perhaps someone can help me here?

I'm trying to understand how a bunch of discussion on 12 volt stuff has some bearing on a simple yes/no question about turning off your propane when traveling
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #48

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
I have just rewired and hooked up the 12 volt for travel with my Dometic 24A. I was never comfortable about travelling with an open flame behind me, even with the built-in safety features. My tanks are closed for travel and this is part of my check list. Like many other options available to us, this appears to be a matter of personal choice based on need and experience.
Scouter Dave
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane