Proper Loading - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #1

Name: Dee
Trailer: Triple E
Ontario
Proper Loading

I am about to begin loading our 14 foot SurfSide for the first time. It towed well when we picked it up, but I know that how I load our belongings into it will affect how it tows.

Is there a guide as to where to put the weight in the trailer to optimize towing? Any tips will be appreciated.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Watch your weights at the extreme ends (front or back). Try and store heavier items was close to the axle as possible. Also keep heavier items low and not high up in cabinets.

Also watch your stow when traveling with water in the tanks. For example if you fill your water tank and it is behind your axle you need to try and store items ahead of the axle to compensate for that. In my 16' I used a rubbemaid tub for all my water hoses, electrical and other odds and ends needed that I would carry on the floor of the trailer so I could just move it along the floor to adjust the stowage weight when traveling with water in the tanks for example.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
For me and my Scamp 13 I use an imaginary line on the floor where the axle is. I pack as little as I can on the backside of that line towards the back of the trailer. My water tank resides back there so there is already a fair amount of weight back there to offset the balance with the trailer. Pretty much just blankets, pillows, and sleeping bags and other very light weight items in the back.

In front of the imaginary line towards the tug anything goes within the weight capacity of your trailer. keep it heaviest close to the axle and weight down low. If you have an open floor plan where stuff can shift around keep this in mind when packing. You don't want stuff sliding to the back of the trailer upsetting the balance of the trailer. Just remember the last thing you pack is the first thing you unpack. Usually a tote with all your hook-up needs. Things like the leveling blocks, wheel chocks. Tools to change a tire and level the trailer. The last thing you want to do when arriving at a campsite is to have to unload your whole trailer and search for the equipment needed to level the trailer and unhook your tug.

We pack with us allot of comfort junk and really try to keep the trailer pretty much empty, so if we had to stop and sleep we don't have to unload the whole trailer. Our tug pretty much carries all the extra stuff. Whatever you do don't tow a dancing trailer, if the trailer isnt steady as a rock behind your tug stop and readjust your trailers balance. Running a poorly balanced trailer is a serious accident waiting to happen.

Learn how to use your brake controller to steady a swaying trailer. Slamming on the brakes in your tug while the trailer is swaying can make the situation worse. Learn what to do in advance so you are mentally prepared when things don't go as planned.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:30 AM   #4

Name: Dee
Trailer: Triple E
Ontario
Thanks Carol and Steve, I really appreciate the tips!