Protecting cushions from nighttime accidents? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #1
Name: Carrie
Trailer: Scamp 13
Protecting cushions from nighttime accidents?

My kids are 8 and 11, and generally don't wet the bed anymore, but every once in a while it happens. We're going to be in the scamp for up to eight weeks this summer, and I predict that it will happen at least once. How can I protect my cushions? We may try to leave the bunks up most of the time, but I need something that can be taken down and put away in case we don't. They are going to be in sleeping bags, so I wasn't planning to use sheets. Just putting down an absorbent pad might not work as it might get moved around. Any ideas or BTDT?

CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Chux (or Chucks). They're disposable pads that are plastic lined with light tack for holding in place to mattress or cushions. Often used between mattress pad and mattress for older people or anyone that may suffer from occasional incontinence. You can purchase at nearly any grocery store.
Attached Images

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #3
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
What does BTDT mean?
You might want to put a flat length of flannelized rubber mat (about 27" x 36") down on the bunks as this is often used in baby cribs. It sometimes comes with colorful designs and is easy to fold up and put away. It will stay in place as the flannel gives some traction on the bunk upholstery. If you find there is not enough traction you could also put down a layer of rubberized cabinet shelf lining which is used to keep dishes from shifting in an earthquake.

Here are some links for the rubber mats:
Babies R Us Waterproof Flannel Multi-Use Pads 2 Pack - Large - Babies R Us - Toys "R" Us

Rubber Sheeting White | Jo-Ann
The Gleeful Glamper
Gilda (Jill-da)
"Here we go again on another amazing adventure"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
Great ideas- thank you!

BTDT = Been There Done That
Old 03-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #5
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
What does BTDT mean?
I had to look it up myself, here it is:
Top Definition. btdt. Been There Done That
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #6
Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
I'd be tempted to get a queen sized waterproof mattress pad and split it to make two fitted pads that would semi-fit the bunks if they are 27" like many bunks.
If you are really motivated you could dye it or put a layer of colored sheet over it
This will also take care of any messy midnight snacks!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #7
Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
North America
We put waterproof mattress covers on top of our bunk bed cushions then wrapped that with fitted flannel sheets. It turns out that massage table sheets fit the bunk beds in our Escape almost perfectly.
sclifrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #8
Name: Craven
Trailer: Casita
Just make sure whatever it is you don't embarrass your kids. I was a bed wetter up until I was 11 years old. My biggest fear was my friends and school mates would find out. I was really scared when doing a stay over at a friends house. Fortunately I didn't have any accidents. I found if I put myself to sleep say, " I'm not going to wet the bed" I wouldn't. After some time of doing that every night I quit wetting the bed. I had plastic mattress cover on my bed under the sheet. I don't remember ever wetting my sleeping bag or doing it when not at home.
Try this website: Waterproof Sleeping Bag Liner: Bedwetting Store
Love our Schipperke
Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:18 AM   #9
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
A rainy day means a wet dog. Fitted plastic sheets protect the cushions. A top cover makes them comfortable.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:53 AM   #10
Do cot size sheets fit the bunks in a scamp? The way my kids sleep, unless something fit pretty well it will end up on the floor.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #11
Name: Miriam
Trailer: Scamp
A common way to get cushions back in there covers is to cover them with thin dry cleaner plastic and use a vacuum to shrink the cushion. Many people leave the dry cleaner bag inside the fusion cover as it provides some protection from spills. Here is a link to the video showing the process. This would still mean you would have to wash the cover if there is an accident but at least the foam wouldn't get wet.
Ruralredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #12
Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
great idea Miriam! when I recovered my cushions, I slid them inside giant trash bags so they would slide inside the covers easily. I left the bags on for protection, just as you said. I crinkles a little when you sit but I think its worth the protection.

sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote