Protecting the trailer pigtail - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2002, 06:34 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Protecting the trailer pigtail

Lou wrote in another thread:

noticed that our "pig tail" was dragging on the ground. this is the second one that we have destroyed. am now working on some fix to make sure this does not happen again. any suggestions will be appreciated

I brought his comment to a new thread, so we could all post some replies. Early on, I, too, lost a trailer connector by unknowingly dragging it on the roadway for who knows how many miles.

So, Lou, years ago, I used one of those little plastic zip-strips, zipped to a millimeter larger than the circumference of the connector cap/trailer plug combo ... even showed the folks at the factory who started slipping one loosely over the connected trailer plug so it wouldn't bounce out.

But I've developed a better system, using a little velcro strap ... bought a three pack of them at one of these large home improvement stores. The little straps have a little buckle, as well as opposing velcro on each side.

After I insert the trailer plug, and push down the tow vehicle connector cap, I quickly wrap the little velcro strap around the combo, and velcro it down.

Never had a problem since!

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:42 AM   #2

By the by

By the by, even if you've never had a trailer plug disconnect while driving down the road ... you probably will at some time ... so take time to insure you don't.

I was absolutely shocked at how much was "sanded" off the plug. It was ruined ... at the time, I was a complete rookie and didn't feel comfortable replacing the plug, so I had to find a "enroute" repair place.

Now I actually carry an extra trailer connector with me in the Suburban ... just in case.

Old 10-03-2002, 08:29 AM   #3

Pigtail dragging

Once again Pete "bunji cord guy" comes to the rescue!!!!

Yep, another use for the the old bunji cord.....
I clip one end thru the little hole in the plug handle and the other end wrapped around the Propane tank handle.

It gives it some stress relief too! Dual purpose!

I also like Duct tape, but that's another story.

Old 10-03-2002, 08:59 AM   #4

Mini-bungies

The nylon/plastic zip-strip that came on our '99 Casita bit the dust fairly quickly. My Skip is like Pete in that he's a firm believer in bungie cords. (You should see the gates in our back fence!) For this application, Skip uses a mini-bungie to wrap around the plug and tow vehicle connector cap.

Old 10-05-2002, 01:14 PM   #5

bungee

The little bungies with a loop and a ball, like the ones used to hold tarps to the pipe on 'garage covers' work great:lol . You can buy em in a pack of 4.

Plug in the electric cord then wrap the bungee around the connector door (which has the 'bump' that keeps the cord in place) and the cord. Easy on and easy off.

And I route the electric cord 'over' the trailer tongue, may not work for everyone, but it's an advantage of having the electric plug-in on the 'wrong' side of the tow vehicle. :E