Protection from the elements - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #1

Name: jeff
Trailer: 25b25fb
Washington
Protection from the elements

Hi Everyone! I am new to trailer life and this forum. I have a 09 Bigfoot 25 FB and plan on keeping her out in the yard while she is not on the road. My question is what is the next best thing besides storing her inside...should I
A. Build a carport.
B. Put a travel trailer cover on her
C. Use Vivilon clear coat and call it good. (high UV inhibitors, looks like good stuff)

Also, since I plan on leaving her plugged in, (for batteries) shall I always keep a fan blowing and or a ceramic space heater going in the winter or just after use?
She will be winterized when not in use but I plan on skiing a ton this winter. She will be parked on gravel with the tires covered when at home.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Jeff
stephonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
First and foremost I will get the formal stuff out of the way! Welcome , glad you joined us on the glass forum.................

Well, I would say all of the above, carport, cover and uv protection!

Personally I don't think a heater is needed if she is winterized, but I am sure some may just in case. Personally I don't keep mine plugged in, and she's in a barn right next to a plug in. But only go out the day before a trip and plug her in to get the fridge cooling. You might have to experiment with what works for you. But I haven't found a need to keep it plugged in all the time. Again, Welcome....... Enjoy your camping this summer!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Jeff, welcome to FiberglassRV

As a Pacific NorthWET coaster, I can tell you keeping the moss, rain, snow and other things that grow, off your trailer will add to it's longevity. If you have the room and budget for a carport, that would be primo. Be careful about tarps and covers, they can scrub the gelcoat if you live in a windy area and the trailer isn't scrumptiously clean when you cover it. Besides, do you really want to hassle with a cover. Makes my arms ache to think about it YMMV.

I winterize my trailer and it's under a carport. I don't leave it plugged in, nor run a heater in the winter. But battery is put in the garage and placed on a wood board on the garage floor.

There are many ways of dealing with winter as there are members here. I hope you find what works best for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

Washington
Thank you ladies, I think I will try this Vivilon clear coating out. Maybe down the road I'll put up a carport. I plan on skiing a ton in the winter. When I come down from the hill i'll air her out. Hope the tanks don't freeze on the drive up!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Oh your saying your taking it with you when you hit the slopes?

Well that is a whole different thing............. to which I know little about. My trailer goes into the barn first snow and stays there................ Call me a fair weather camper!

If your planning on hauling the trailer to and from the slopes then there are pre-cautions you can take to save the tanks from frezzzzzzzzzzzing. If so, hang in there I am sure there are some other members that do the same and will catch your post and give you better insight on how to go about using your trailer during winter weather............
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #6

Name: Derek
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25b25rq
Washington
Jeff,

I have an '07 Bigfoot 25RQ that I just purchased early this year. I don't believe it was ever kept under cover as it has some oxidation on the gelcoat, particularly in front. The difference between the gelcoat under the rockguard vs. the gelcoat just outside it is significant and I don't think I will ever get it back to the original gloss. If you can swing it, I would build a carport--sunlight breaks down everything. The UV inhibitor is a good idea, but I am in the process of waxing and these trailers are big. I am not sure how well I am going to keep up on this over time.

As far as the battery is concerned, check the model of your power converter and see what type of charger it uses. Mine was a Progressive Dynamics but without the optional "Charge Wizard". I purchased this add-on which gives your converter 4-stage charging. This charges the battery much faster at 14.4 volts, which is important if you recharge on site with a generator (otherwise you must run the generator much longer). It also provides a continuous "float" charge at 13.2 volts with a periodic "desulfation" charge to prevent sulfation and electrolyte stratification. In other words, you can plug the trailer in and forget about it--the battery electrolyte won't get boiled away, nor will the battery deteriorate due to sulfation caused by undercharging or self-discharge.

For the inside I purchased a small Eva-Dry dehumidifier. It is surprising how much water it extracts each week. I tried one of the chemical driers but decided I didn't want to mess with it.

Derek
Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #7

Washington
Thanks Derek, I wish they made a Eva-dry with a drain tube...I have to leave town quite a bit and would love the unit to keep working after a tankful. I'll look into the wizard also...I really want to try this Vivilon stuff, it looks promising.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Johnson View Post

For the inside I purchased a small Eva-Dry dehumidifier. It is surprising how much water it extracts each week. I tried one of the chemical driers but decided I didn't want to mess with it.

Derek
Derek, which model of Eva-Dry did you get?
Marina
Marinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #9

Name: Derek
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25b25rq
Washington
The 1100, which is the smaller one. It seems to fill up in about 2 weeks. The next size up might have been a good choice too, but it was quite a bit more money. Previously I had one of the Dry-Z-Air plastic cages that hold the chemical drier and it didn't capture nearly as much water. Plus, I had to be more careful with the resulting water and chemical to not spill it and damage something.

Someone online mentioned that their Eva-Dry died after a year or two, but that they just had to replace the inexpensive computer-type fan. We'll see how it does because I leave it on all the time.

Derek
Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
wow,,,so many ways to go with this...... if i had space and all things otherwise were equal....i would build a carport.

good protection above and with removeable panels or tarping can be protected from all sides.

move the trailer and you have a shelter for parties and the like,
add screen panels and you have a screen room for summer evenings.

john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #11

Name: christine
Trailer: looking..
Washington
I use those damp-dri s that are on hangers for the inside of my trialer which last for 45 days or get that big bucket of dri-eze too..
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #12

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
As a NW'er I would ask first whether you have a place protected from wind? The portable type carports do not hold up well to windy locations and would offer little in the way of protection even if they don't come down. Otherwise a carport needs to be pretty solid. In a protected area the portable type should work well. But lack of wind may also mean more green stuff such as moss and algae so a good protective coat will still help.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot