Pump Sprayer for Showering and Pet Cleanup (split from Bathrooms) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Pump Sprayer for Showering and Pet Cleanup (split from Bathrooms)

Moderator's note: This thread has been split from the "Bathrooms worth the space?" topic, as they actually address quite different issues.

Since we're on the topic of outside hot showers, I'll put in a vote for my converted garden sprayer, which I've used on boats and can use with the camper too. It's simply a 2-3 gallon "pesticide" sprayer (never used for that of course) with a longer hose installed. I simply cut the wand down a bit shorter, but you could put on a different, more shower-heady end as well.

A few pumps, a shot of hot water from the kettle, and it's all sorted. Turning the wand nozzle changes the stream from wide shower to piercing stream, as needed. The pressure makes it easy to conserve water, as the air included kind of "blows" the soap off in addition to the water.

It's also super useful for any number of other things around boat/camp in a way that I have not found a bag-type sun shower to be. Rinsing things under pressure, etc.

Mine is dark green so oftentimes if it's sunny out I don't need the kettle water to heat it up. I wouldn't be without one, and as an extra bonus they're inexpensive.

I post this not to convince anyone, as to each their own, but simply to pose an option for those who are interested.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Since we're on the topic of outside hot showers, I'll put in a vote for my converted garden sprayer, which I've used on boats and can use with the camper too. It's simply a 2-3 gallon "pesticide" sprayer (never used for that of course) with a longer hose installed. I simply cut the wand down a bit shorter, but you could put on a different, more shower-heady end as well.

A few pumps, a shot of hot water from the kettle, and it's all sorted. Turning the wand nozzle changes the stream from wide shower to piercing stream, as needed. The pressure makes it easy to conserve water, as the air included kind of "blows" the soap off in addition to the water.

It's also super useful for any number of other things around boat/camp in a way that I have not found a bag-type sun shower to be. Rinsing things under pressure, etc.

Mine is dark green so oftentimes if it's sunny out I don't need the kettle water to heat it up. I wouldn't be without one, and as an extra bonus they're inexpensive.

I post this not to convince anyone, as to each their own, but simply to pose an option for those who are interested.

Raya
I use the garden sprayer too. Works great.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Raya, I think I've read about your shower before, but it never "clicked" how handy that would be till now! I don't suppose you have a picture do you (sorry, sometimes I need the visual)

Anyhow, what do you mean by "cut the wand down a bit shorter"? Is that a metal piece (see what I mean about visual????)

Thanks!
Vickie
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #4

Vickie,

My computer died and I'm using an old, creaky laptop in the interim. So I have no access to my photos and saving new images on here to post is a real bear. I wanted to post one though!

So, okay, go to this link and check out the sprayer. There are many varieties but this is similar to mine, except mine is dark green (got it at Lowes). That thing that looks like an electrical cord on the right is a shoulder strap, I think, so don't be fooled by that.

Solo Chemical Sprayer — 2.25 Gallon, 45 PSI, Model# 456 | Portable Sprayers | Northern Tool + Equipment

Now, see the "wand" on the left? That can either be plastic or metal, depending on the model. The tip has a rotating thing like a garden hose tip where you can change from strong stream to wider "sprinkle." At the other end where it connects to the hose is a "trigger."

I found the long wand to be a pain for showering, so I cut it down. The end(s) come off and it was just a tube that I could cut and then reassemble. I made it about 3" long. Then I took off the hose clamps and put on a longer hose, to make it easier.

The top comes off and leaves a pretty wide opening - about 5" - so you can easily add water from whatever source or a kettle. Then you screw it closed and give a few not-too-difficult pumps on the handle and, voila, pressurized water.

If you would rather buy one all set up for showering, I can highly recommend this one from Duckworks. It is black, so heats up in the sun, plus has a shower handle already. I don't have one but friends do and really like it. I would probably have bought one if I didn't already have mine. These are a nice couple who own this company, and they sell fiberglassing supplies too.

Duckworks Boatbuilders Supply

Raya
Old 10-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 2001
showering

Quote:

Raya
We use a set-up very similar to Raya's description of the garden sprayer. However, we made a change to the existing wand/nozzle attachment and swapped it out for a trigger sprayer/hose attachment like the one used for rinsing on a kitchen sink. We have found it to fit our functional needs when boondocking.

As Raya stated, if the water isn't heated sufficiently in the tank by solar power then we just add hot water from the kettle. OR, if we remember to set out the Sun shower bag (with broken fittings) , we use that as a secondary hot water source.
Deb
Deb&Sam D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Thanks Raya and Deb, seems like a perfect solution! And will be great for dirty dogs, or muddy paws, too!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #7

Vickie,

One reason I have kept the standard wand (tho' shortened) is because you can dial it down to a very forceful, pinpoint spray. That's really handy for things like rinsing dogs Yet it's not bad for showering either when turned all the way "open."
(Whereas the kitchen spray/shower head type are always on "gentle shower" spray.)

One of those "just depends on your uses" things.

Raya
Old 10-21-2010, 05:47 AM   #8

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Thanks for the idea for cleaning our dog paws after the shower is installed
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #9

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Pump up sprayer!

To use as a fast portable shower, rinsing the dogs feet before they come inside, or even a hand washer are really useful ideas.

These sprayers just might work their way into the "Don't leave home without it" catagory, like WD-40 and Duct Tape.

Hope somebody will have a working one at the rally Saturday.

Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #10

Hi Kip,

If you want to "ease" into the world of the sprayer, they also make a little one gallon hand-held one. It has a grip kind of like a flour sifter, or a syrup dispenser at a pancake house - right on the side of the body. Then you just lift the whole thing. It's not as handy for a shower, by any means, but it still has many uses around camp. Either those or the larger type can be had at Lowe's or etc. and they are not too expensive.

Of course if someone has one for you to check out at the rally so much the better.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #11

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Hi Kip,

If you want to "ease" into the world of the sprayer, they also make a little one gallon hand-held one. It has a grip kind of like a flour sifter, or a syrup dispenser at a pancake house - right on the side of the body. Then you just lift the whole thing. It's not as handy for a shower, by any means, but it still has many uses around camp. Either those or the larger type can be had at Lowe's or etc. and they are not too expensive.

Of course if someone has one for you to check out at the rally so much the better.
Thanks Raya,

I have a couple of sprayers for various yard jobs. A small one for spraying fertilizers and such on vegeitable gardens, and a large one for Round Up, stains, cleaners and such. Just never thought about one for simply presurizing water for other uses. A really neat Idea.

Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote