Punch list for new Scamp Owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2019, 08:40 PM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 19'
Virginia
Punch list for new Scamp Owner

Tomorrow I will be the very excited (and slightly nervous) new owner of a 19' Scamp. I stumbled upon this site while researching the purchase, and have found a very welcoming group, so thank you!

I would love to do a very thorough check through of the entire Scamp so that I can start repairing things that may be long overdue. Specifically, repairing rivets, checking seals, and looking for leaks. Do you all have any advice on a sort of punch list that I should run through on a new-to-me Scamp? Something that I could get through and know that it's in good shape, moving forward with a clean bill of upkeep. Thanks! I'm excited to be joining the ranks and eager to learn.
brettrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:10 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Enjoy your Scamp

They should give you a great “introduction tour” of your “new” Scamp. How old is it? I hope they started the refrigerator today because they take over night to cool. Run everything, heat, air conditioning, water heater, and fans. The big one, get under and check the floor for rot and the frame for rust. Surface rust is ok, but no cracks or flaking, they are thin to start with. If all is OK have brakes inspected and bearings packed before any long trips and check the date codes on the tires and if they are 4-5 years old get them replaced. (A Proper hitch and a brake control will be needed also.)
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Start with structural stuff first: window seals, any leaks, floor patch, frame, axle, etc. People tend to focus on the cosmetics first and lose steam before critical structural repairs are made.

You want it leak tight and road worthy. Everything else is secondary. Myself, I do not use systems until I have tested them (electrical, plumbing, and propane), particularly on a 20 year old trailer.

Having a covered work area is VERY desirable. Even one of those temporary Harbor Freight carports can work (depends on your local rules).

Inspect the windows carefully. If you see signs of silicone caulk on the outside, I would assume that window leaked (and may well be still leaking) and would be high on my priority list. Fiberglass itself does not leak (unless it has been damaged). Its where holes were cut (rivets, windows, vents, etc). Those can leak. Once the water gets into the trailer, it heads to the floor. Then you get floor rot. Its the cycle of leaks. Plumbing leaks inside are already in the trailer, and head to the floor as well. Floor rot is the result of a leak, not the source.

Google is your friend. Every single repair you might face has been done in the past by others. Check out the manufacturers section too. Some repairs are Scamp specific, others aren't.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp