Putting Together a Tool Kit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2007, 11:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe Side Dinette
I am putting together a toolkit for my 16' Scamp, and I am looking for suggestions. I want to have any tools that I might need, but not have to take every tool I own (just thinking of the weight for example). What tools have you found useful and what tools would you not travel without?

Thanks in advance,

John
John Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:13 AM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
John,

I carry a bottle jack and a four-way tire speed wrench. I also carry both metric and SAE combination wrenches, a 3/8" socket set, a 1/2" socket set, a Reese hitch ball wrench, set of screwdrivers, SAE & metric allen wrenches, a cordless drill, electrical tape, Teflon tape, and a VOM. I've also got a small Snap-on mallet, and a small ball-peen hammer. There are other odds-n-ends, but they all fit into a small tool bag and a plastic Craftsman fitted case for the 3/8" socket set.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer 13 ft / 2005 Honda Element
I find electrical tools to be the most useful for the trailer. While tire changing equipment is a must, wire strippers, crimpers, tape, an assortment of connectors, a meter or test light, etc. are very, very handy. Even if you don't need it for your trailer, you may be able to help another trailerite along the way!
ERIC B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Bunji cords and duct tape Glues epoxies small hose clamps, spring clamps, one of those spare tire in a can, Butain torch, Electric adapters of all kinds Hose "Y" A good camper always puts a y on the water spicot before his hose. also one of those folding GI shovels
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:56 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Lots of folks take too many tools on the road--I know I do. Try to be realistic. If you have road service, you don't need a lot of car tools, for instance.

No matter how many tools you take along, the one you need won't be among them (Murphys Law).

I let rivet replacement, electrical repairs and plumbing repairs wait until I get home and can take the time to do them carefully.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:58 AM   #6

Name: Nita
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Along with the tools previously mentioned we always carry a squeezable tube of white caulk in case of an unexpected leak, and various lengths of zip ties. Of course we never leave home without a roll of duct tape! You can temporarily fix just about anything with it!

Congratulations on your "new" camper. Hope to meet you down the road sometime.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I carry my AAA card and a Visa card with zero balance.

Actually, I carry some stuff, duct tape, hammer, vicegrips, rivet gun and assorted rivets, zip ties...but really nothing "specific" to the trailer...and about half the time I forget to put the tool box in the tug. Whether or not you even carry a tool box has more to do with WHERE you are traveling. If you're off the beaten path you may have to rescue yourself. Typically where I travel, there's plenty of cellphone service.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:02 AM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I carry my AAA card and a Visa card with zero balance.
Gina D's Oil Change Instructions

I am an Electro-Mechanical Technician and I am never without my regular tool case. It looks like a suitcase, has pallets with individual tool compartments, and weighs 35 pounds.

What I find essential is a Reliable Strong Light Source with good batteries. When my brother quit working as a pizza delivery driver, he gave me his hand-held spotlight that plugs into a 12 volt outlet (cigarette lighter type). I carry a 20 amp-hour 12 volt battery that I have rigged with such an outlet connector.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #9

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
I am putting together a toolkit for my 16' Scamp, and I am looking for suggestions. I want to have any tools that I might need, but not have to take every tool I own (just thinking of the weight for example). What tools have you found useful and what tools would you not travel without?

Thanks in advance,

John
John; we have a 16' Scamp '99. All of the tools I carry fit into a moderate size tackle box that will store at the side of the furnace (I'm assuming you have the front bath model Scamp like us). I'll take an inventory of what I carry but it includes:
--pliers
--channel lock pliers
--12V circuit tester
--hammer
--large wire ties (zip ties...can double as hose clamps in a pinch)
--4 way screw driver
--multi tool
--velcro ties
--adjustable wrench
--a couple lengths of electrical wire
--a few wire nuts
--electrical tape
--spare bulbs for turn/brake lights on the trailer
--nylon cord
--"nail" style tent pegs
IN THE TUG
--scissor jack (tire change and can be used as a rear stabilizer for the trailer)
--socket for trailer lugs and 1/2" "swing arm" wrench
--12V air compressor

I'll check a bit more carefully later today but I have been able to fix most everything we have encountered in the past several years well enough to last until we get home and I can do a more permanent job.
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:32 AM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
If you would carry it in your car toolkit, it's in my trailer. And then some.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:38 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
A multi-tool of some kind can replace a whole fist full of tools. I never leave home without one. I have some that are very expensive but even a cheapo (less than $15.00) has saved my day.
EricMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:59 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I am a relative newby at this. What may I ask is the rivet gun used mostly for? And what specific typr of gun do you suggest?
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I had no idea that Gina watched me change oil..

Anyway, Part of a tool kit, most important,
2 ounces Bourbon whiskey
1 capful Vermouth
several ice cubes
2- Marischino cherries.

maybe some coke.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I found that I`ll take anything that I may need....then take everything that I will never need...again...Murphy`s Law........Everything from fuses to a 12V winch with snatch block and comealong with straps and chains...have a 2WD truck......lots of hand tools, auto wire,saws, axes, cordless and corded drills w/bits, chisels,punches, hole punches,tire plug kit with 12v compressor, pop rivets, screws w/ ass`t hardware...ratchet straps,2 VOMS, one digital and other analog, Pop rivet gun, grease cartridge, various tapes, tie wraps, tying wire, spare tent pegs, various lubes and oils, 2 high power spotlights, one cordless and the other 12v corded, a 12V lantern, couple regular flash lights, smaller amber rotating beacon, and a few other items....this is all carried in the back of my pickup.....had a wheel come loose one time in Wendover, Nevada and damaged/loosened a couple wheel studs in the hub....since a couple stud holes were elongated somewhat, I acquired two over size shank studs but didn`t have a 3/8" round file to enlarge the holes to a large stud shank...had to buy one at the same parts place where I got the studs...hated that! .....picked up a used wheel with tire at a local wrecker because of the damage to the holes of the wheel that was on the trailer and I wasn`t going anywhere without a spare, and then carried on with my trip West... ..there`s always something that you`ll need but don`t have......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I had no idea that Gina watched me change oil..

Anyway, Part of a tool kit, most important,
2 ounces Bourbon whiskey
1 capful Vermouth
several ice cubes
2- Marischino cherries.

maybe some coke.
Hi: Bourbon and branch is far less weight to carry Secret is Never add water to Bourbon Add Bourbon to water It improves the water
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. try Old Haven Hill Kentucky Bourbon smooth
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:48 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
--><div class='quotemain'>
I am a relative newby at this. What may I ask is the rivet gun used mostly for? And what specific typr of gun do you suggest?
[/quote]

Everything is riveted through the shell on my Scamp...from tailights to vents to cabinets. I use a Stanley MR77C Swivel Head. They're all over eBay, some with Buy-It-Now for less than $10...just watch out for the shipping costs.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:24 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Everything is riveted through the shell on my Scamp...from tailights to vents to cabinets. I use a Stanley MR77C Swivel Head. They're all over eBay, some with Buy-It-Now for less than $10...just watch out for the shipping costs.
ours is a 2006 16 ft side dinette, was one of 2 on the lot after the factory caught fire and burned down that were unsold. I think I may have a use for the rivet gun already.
Thanks for the info.
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma
A tool kit...my favorite subject----

Wow! I had to go out and look at what we actually have drug around with us for a number of years. It seems we do some in our case of field repairs but are always offering something to some one else in camp. Being an old Boy Scout--the motto is "Be Prepared".

Too many people dont carry enough to even replace fuses or lost bolts and nuts, or to fix a minor leak...but that is only my viewpoint--we boondock a lot and being equipped to fix most common repairs is second nature.

But for some folks all of that is way too over the top--Like Donna, a AAA card and a Visa card are more that adequate.

But since this thread is for a Tool Kit--and there are some really well prepared folks out there...here is our bag of stuff....

Always in the tug, or both of them in our case is a full set of auto tools, wrenches, both SAE and metric, pliers--needle nose, wire cutters, water pump and slip joint, wire ties, hose clamps of different sizes, ignition wrenches both SAE and metric. sockets up to 7/8 or 23 MM in metric and SAE, screwdrivers phillips and regular, drift pins and a punch or two, crescent wrenches, a small hammer, round and mill bastard files, a small hacksaw, a prybar or two, a pipe or two of bigger conduit (1 1/4 inch by 1.5 feet) for more leverage on socket wrenches, duct tape, baling wire--steel, not iron, 4 way lug wrench, hydraulic jack and the original screw jack, electrical tape, a plastic tarp to lay on if necessary and a few cotton rags in a ziplock bag. Don't forget several types of lighting, headlamps, flashlights..etc.

All of this only weighs about twenty five pounds and fits in a canvas tool bag, under the rear seats. Add jumper cables, a 12v volt air compressor, some tire plugs, fuses, a couple of standard bulbs to fit tug and trailer and most of that is covered. I have a few feet of different colored wire of different guages, a few common short pieces of hose, 1/2 and 3/8 inch, air and water, with a handful of common 3/8 gas and flare fittings with a piece of 3/8 copper tubing and a flare tool. (why carry the flare tool in the trailer? it is the only place it is needed)

Some wire nuts, and crimps, and a new tube of caulk--clear paintable silicone. A small tube of wheel bearing grease, a spare set of correct size wheel bearings with races, with a few screws, nails, nuts and assorted bolts, a spare lug nut and stud or two.

An axe, a bow saw, a broom and short gardening shovel and we can take on the world.

Overall weight of the the whole kit? maybe considering what is in the tug and trailer? less than thirty five pounds---or about the weight of the wife's weekend bag!

OH! Almost forgot--plenty of batteries for all kinds of lights and a good bottle of merlot and some 25 year old single malt scotch for thinking fluid.

Good luck on your kit---

Garo
Gary Carvajal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #19

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
We've got the Merlot and Scotch in our kit like Garo, so I think we're over halfway there. That way if something breaks we won't care....

I did remove all rivets and replace with stainless steel bolts and nuts per Con's thread, so a Phillips head and 3/8" wrench will take care of 90% of what we'd run into now. Stocking the rest of the kit with wire ties, lubes, caulk(non-silicone), electrical items and the tire changing necessities. If it's anything major beyond that then the Merlot and Scotch come into play...
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #20

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: I found a handy tool kit @ Ikea... It contains a small adjustable wrench/claw hammer/ 11 screwdriver/allen key bits and handle and a pair of pliers in a plastic carry case!!! All for $9.95 Canadian dollars. I couldn't resist it Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote