Question for Compact owners - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the market
California
Question for Compact owners

Hello!
We have recently purchaced a 1971 Compact Jr.
We are "remodeling" and would like to "retro-fit" ours to have the diamond pattern vinyl on the bare fiberglass walls & ceiling that came on the 73 Jr.'s as well as the Compact II's.
My question is: how did they adhere the foam backed vinyl?? Any help would be appreciated!

Old 08-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #2

Name: James
Trailer: Trillium 4500 & Hunter Compact II
New Jersey
maybe call 3M to see if their spray adhesive used on auto headliners would work on fiberglass. I didn't see anything in their documents.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:54 AM   #3

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
It was quite likely done with this stuff, it is high heat resistant and will bond to the foam backed vinyl and to the fiberglass as well as to wood. It is the same product that I found when I took the foam backed vinyl off the fiberglass interior in my Sunrader. Also the same stuff that was holding up the carpet on the walls in my Campster. It has been around for ages.

They do make a spray version. In a factory setting it most likely would have been purchased in bulk and sprayed on. It is the old go-to standard contact cement. I remember my folks using it when they made projects in the 1950s and 1960's. I still use it, great product and easy to find in local hardware stores.

While there are lots of newer adhesives around that are good I like this one for brush on and or roll on applications where I need a contact cement. I used some 3M 80 and 3M 90 recently and they also worked well but were pricey per square foot of coverage. Still the convenience of a rattle can spray is certainly nice at times. But if your budget is tight the Weldwood is easy enough to do with disposable rollers and roller pans. Work as a team if you can because that makes it much easier to install large pieces and pay attention to the directions for how long it needs to dry before putting the two pieces together.

Remember...practice makes perfect. practice with some scraps and the glue so you know how quick it grabs, etc. You can buy it in little pint size cans and even in small bottles to test it out before you invest in a gallon size.

It is the adhesive I will be using to put the foam backed vinyl and the marine vinyl that has a fabric type of backing on the surfaces of my Trails West Campster project. It will also be what I use if I decide to put laminate on my countertops and table. As I said, it is budget friendly and easy to find at the local hardware stores. After getting only a few square feet of coverage out of a can of 3M 90 that I paid $20.00 for after tax my mind was quickly made up as to which adhesive was the clear choice for the job.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #4

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Also remember to wear a respirator when you apply it in an enclosed space, unless you are willing to sacrifice a few million brain cells and get really, really high from old-style glue-sniffing.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #5

Name: Caroline
Trailer: Compact Jr.
California
Hi Thunderdome -- may I take the liberty of piggybacking on your post to ask where you are getting the diamond patterned vinyl? My Compact Jr. came without it and I've been wondering where the vinyl or something similar might be found. Many thanks, and good luck on the project!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:58 AM   #6

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia View Post
Also remember to wear a respirator when you apply it in an enclosed space, unless you are willing to sacrifice a few million brain cells and get really, really high from old-style glue-sniffing.
The instructions do state not to use it in an enclosed space, that you must have good ventilation but for sure a respirator is important too so that was a good reminder that they are needed. Open windows, doors, use fan to increase the flow of fresh air and reduce the concentration of flammable VOC fumes, etc. No open flames.

I would choose a relatively cool day, 60s to mid 70s to work with it as you get more open time for adjustment. Hot temperatures will cause it to evaporate and dry out very quickly which is fine for little pieces but not so good for doing a major interior installation. Fall weather should be perfect and that is right around the corner!
Old 08-24-2016, 03:02 AM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Diamond Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Caroline View Post
Hi Thunderdome -- may I take the liberty of piggybacking on your post to ask where you are getting the diamond patterned vinyl? My Compact Jr. came without it and I've been wondering where the vinyl or something similar might be found. Many thanks, and good luck on the project!
:Check with SMS in Canby, Or. there is a place there that supplies auto, boat, trailer upholstery from as far back as 1890 to present day, plus they will run off 50 yards and only charge you for the amount you would need as they know some one will come along and buy the rest.
We have bought headliner, upholstery, carpeting, plus other items from them many times and if you go there as a group u should arrange for a tour, you will be amazed of what goes into all motor vessels in the world.
Stude