Question for Fantastic Fan Owners - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-28-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe
Hello, Fine Folks

I am looking at getting one of SHURflo's Comfort Air Vent fans -- they are much like the Fantastic Fans except you can run them with the dome lid closed thereby operating it like a ceiling fan. Also, they have variable speed controls as opposed to the three speed controls on the FF.

My questions is: do you usually run it on the exhaust mode or the intake mode? And what percentage of the time on each mode and which mode is best for cooling the Casita.

Camping World has sold out of the reversible models. But I figure if most of you use the exhaust mode on your fans, I would go ahead and get the exhaust only mode model that they do have in stock and also save about $30.

What say ye?

Blessings from Kanab, Utah
Doug Hounshell

Doug Hounshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

I run mine almose exclusively on exaust mode. If I were to try to run the ShurFlo with the vent closed, I would want to run it blowing down, so I'd wait for a reversible one...

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe
I run mine almose exclusively on exaust mode. If I were to try to run the ShurFlo with the vent closed, I would want to run it blowing down, so I'd wait for a reversible one...
Good point. I would tend to think the same thing, but here is a quote from the Shurflo's own Comfort Air brochure:

"Comfort Air can be used to circulate air in your RV even with the dome closed. By closing the dome and setting your fan to exhaust mode, the airflow bounces back in the living area creating a breeze similar to a ceiling fan. This feature allows you to circulate air during bad weather as well as keeping the warm air from your heater fresh."
Doug Hounshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:02 AM   #4
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Exhaust only with a small window open at opposite end.I will put it in other position if trailer is in good shade.
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:15 AM   #5
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
I use mine both ways and about equally. When cooking, I open the window above the stove and use the intake to pressurize the trailer. The heat and steam from cooking exhaust out the window and not into the trailer that way. Otherwise, I run it on exhause with a small window open for flow. I wouldn't buy one that isnt reversible.

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:42 AM   #6
Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
I wouldn't buy one that isnt reversible.
Right. Buying a cheapo is false economy if it doesn't do everything you want. I use my FanTastic almost exclusively on exhaust, but there have been times when intake was really good to have. I have never regretted buying top quality goods, but have often regretted money spent on 'bargains' that fell short.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:55 AM   #7
Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
I'd say it depends on your trailer.

With our first Casita, that had a small window in the galley, we almost exclusively used the Fantastic Fan on exhaust, leaving that galley window open, as Chester suggests doing. That TT didn't have a screen door, either, so the exhaust was very effective.

With the current Casita, the exhaust setting isn't nearly as effective. (The only window we can pull the air through is the one in the bathroom.)

I do use the exhaust if I'm cooking indoors on a warm day, but I probably use the downdraft setting even more, especially at night, when it blows right on the bed.
Mary F Fiberglass Rules!
FGRV Forum Custom Search
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:56 AM   #8
Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Pretty much both. I wouldn't want one that I couldn't reverse.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Tell you a little secret.

The only difference between the two is the switch. On a d.c. motor (or on an a.c. universal motor) rotation can be reversed by reversing the polarity of the input power. Same idea as your reversible drill, whether battery powered (dc) or corded (ac universal).

So, all you need to do is replace the spst switch with a dpdt switch and wire it to the motor so that the center position is off, and one end position sends the +12vdc to one input lead and ground to the other. Then wire the other end position to reverse the polarity. If you get confused, just open up your reversible drill and wire it the same.

Worth $30.00? For me, if I wanted it right away, I'd just go do it. Otherwise, I'd wait for the chance to lighten my pocket by another $30.00 when the reversible one arrived.

Actually, what I'd really do is offer them a price about 25 - 30 percent less than the asking price (knowing they probably are working with around a 40% mark-up), and if they hesitate I would comment "I'll check some other sellers, someone must have one of these in stock."
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I have a MaxxFan, not a Fantastic Fan, but this is also a multi-speed reversible high-flow vent fan, so I assume that the question applies...

We have not used ours for long, and have used it exclusively on exhaust to remove hot air. Roger has an interesting idea - supplying fresh air to help the kitchen exhaust go out the kitchen vent - which I intend to try when the trailer thaws. In my case, it will be going out the vent hood, not the kitchen window, but it might still work.
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #11
Trailer: Trillium
my fan won't run with the dome closed, it has a switch to shut it off as it is closing.
So I bought a hood from maxx-air, Ed Shook was kind enough to bring it to Emily for me last year.
I didn't actually test it with an air flow meter, But I couldn't tell the difference with the hood on or off.
I bought the cheaper non reversing fantastic fan, and put my own switch on it.
the fan was on sale 40.00 off, and the switch cost me 12.00 so I still saved about 40.00

Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote