Question for rehab - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #21

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
It could be, but the closet is a pretty substantial piece of inflexable structure.I'm only second guessing. Mabee they left it off to make the end at the couch seem larger?????
Hi: This could just be a weighty issue...or maybe a cheepy issue Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #22

Registry
Again Hi: Just had a thought... The support that is there is closest to over the axle and opposite the closet Is that where they feel the support is required??? Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 01-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler Honey
Dan,
I just emailed you, taking you up on your kind offer. I think that would be the best solution for me, at least until I develop enough time and talent to hand carve blue herons. Or should that be bees and a hive for the honey?
Now, if you have an extra support, what did you replace your support with?
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #24

Trailer: 1975 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Dan,
I just emailed you, taking you up on your kind offer. I think that would be the best solution for me, at least until I develop enough time and talent to hand carve blue herons. Or should that be bees and a hive for the honey?
Now, if you have an extra support, what did you replace your support with?
I have not got to the point of figuring what I was going to replace with, just that I was going to replace it with something to hide some wiring and a surface for mounting some LED lighting. I have the body off the frame of mine now and all interior is now exterior. I will have to build a new counter as mine was in sad shape, but that is a ways down the road so to speak.
Dan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I've come to the conclusion that the supports are mostly decorative; some makes and models don't have them on either end -- However, like Brian, I feel more support is better than less support and I don't think a support like the typical iron on both ends would limit flexibility anywhere near as much as the cabinets (up and down) already do.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:33 AM   #26

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Our Scamp only had one twisted flat bar support, on the left side. The next fall after I installed a MaxAir fan I noticed a leak at the fan, and had to re-caulk the frame on top.

It got me wondering, so I rode in the trailer with my wife driving over some somewhat rough road. Sure enough, that roof was doing quite a bit of flexing at the fan location.

So I made new braces of wood at each cabinet end and a beam across. No leaks since.

But don't assume that adding a powered fan would cause the same problem on your trailer, because just the very nature of fiberglass in a thin-lightweight layup could make one unit quite a bit different from another.

Loren
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:02 PM   #27

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Boler
When we did our complete interior re-do of our 13' Boler, we replaced our twisted cabinet support with a metal shower curtain rod cut down to size, and then used the brackets that came with the curtain rod and attached those to the cupboard and counter top. It looks a lot better than the 70's twisted wraught iron.

Andrea

Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP7734.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	6206
Andrea Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #28

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Check my web site httpeb.mac.com/oksure Photos page 4
There is flexing going on!
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:38 PM   #29

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
I like the possibilities of attaching more storage to the twisted support.
Attached Images

Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #30

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan10094_01.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	6217

Byron gave the push.
Here's a sketch adapted and redesigned from an intarsia project. Could be done with 2x8 material or built up. Relief carve BOTH sides and there should be lots os strength. Make the bird to fit and add legs to suit.
Who knows. It might happen.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #31

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
That would be so totally cool James. I can "see" it

I can't draw and I can't carve...but for those who were interested in a Pink Flamingo interior...a piece of plywood and paint would do. Use a jig saw to cut out the rough and go for it.

Think of all the possibilities besides twisted wrought iron
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:09 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Attachment 6217

Byron gave the push.
Here's a sketch adapted and redesigned from an intarsia project. Could be done with 2x8 material or built up. Relief carve BOTH sides and there should be lots os strength. Make the bird to fit and add legs to suit.
Who knows. It might happen.
Hi: no might about it...Doooooooo it... Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 02-01-2007, 10:19 PM   #33

Trailer: Boler Honey
ok, now I have this idea of a support that looks like a large honeycomb, with the individual cells holding things like spices and utensils. A woodcarver friend and I are playing around with the idea. But in the meantime, thanks to Dan I have a new support for the other end of my cabinets. Maybe I'll start this whole redo by painting the supports this weekend!
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote