Question for rehab - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2007, 11:34 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler Honey
Why do the Bolers only have upper cabinet support (twisted metal) on one end of the base cabinets? It seems that it would provide better support to have them on both ends. I'm considering ordering a second support for my cabinets since the unsupported end fell off the wall on the trip home. If I shouldn't do that, someone let me know!
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I can't see why it would be a problem.

The suuport there should come from the cabinet mounting itself, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a little back up.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
Sorry about the REHAB. I told my kids 'If you don't start using that stuff in the beginning then etc. etc....................
As to the upper cupboard support. Many of the later model Bolers were not equipped with one at either end of the counter. Ours has never had one and I can't see a significant difference to a model with one. I have seen just as much "bellying" on models with a support. I have thought of adding something at one end if only to have something to which I can attach a spice rack.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: The twisted metal supports are still being used by Scamp trailers...and only on one end of the cabinets. They can be ordered from Scamp Via their 1800# ask for Justin in the parts dept Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Why do the Bolers only have upper cabinet support (twisted metal) on one end of the base cabinets? It seems that it would provide better support to have them on both ends. I'm considering ordering a second support for my cabinets since the unsupported end fell off the wall on the trip home. If I shouldn't do that, someone let me know!
Hi: For those who don't feel well supported...We replaced the pop rivets that hold up the upper cabinet with #10 x 24 pan head S/S phillips head screws 3/4" with a nylon washer on the outside of the trailer(roof) and a nylon washer and S/S washer and S/S acorn nut on the inside of the cabinet edge...Looks the same as the old fasteners but no leaks and no rust Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 01-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #6

James, you are so right about the rehab...I am afraid it is too late, I have now become addicted to eggs! the fiberglass sort. And I suspect that this entire group may have the same addiction!

Thanks for the idea. Spice rack on one end, towel rack on the other!

Gina,
I am afraid I will be having to reconnect the cabinets. One end has fallen off the wall, and the other is supported only by the metal support. But, that should make cleaning the walls easier?
Old 01-21-2007, 01:43 PM   #7

Alf,
Thanks for the info. I'll put those on my shopping list. Am I right in suspecting I should buy a big box of the screws, washers and nuts? oh, screws or bolts?
Old 01-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Linda, don't just settle for what you have to buy from the "factory." The supports present a chance to add a touch of class...or whimsy if the mood strikes you. I've seen pictures of supports out of carved plexiglass, faux stainglass, turned wood...even a piece of polished driftwood. I think using imagination is what makes one trailer stand out from another.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
My 17' Boler (B1700RGH) has wrought-iron supports at both ends of the kitchen... but in that case the rear ones also form part of the support structure for the bunk over the rear gaucho. I prefer to think of these supports as the primary structure for the upper cabinet, with the rivets through the shell just to stabilize it, and I would not consider going without them even without the bunk issue. I have been accused of being pessimistic about designs...

(A similar B1700RG interior is shown in the Albums, but it has only a single chrome tube for each support, instead of my wrought iron)

The overhead cabinet in the front (over the dinette) is only riveted to the shell, but it wraps around to the sides, which seems less shaky structurally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Mine had one because the holes were there but it's long gone. I decided not to replace it, so far so good.

Linda, having that cabinet down will make it easier to clean and paint!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:20 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Alf,
Thanks for the info. I'll put those on my shopping list. Am I right in suspecting I should buy a big box of the screws, washers and nuts? oh, screws or bolts?
Hi: I bought them from a local fastener supplier and they let me pur. 50 ea. at the 100's price rather than bubble packs of 6ea. @ the hardware store I will be doing the closet/rear over window cabinet and also the lower cabinet...Then the curtain rod supports with smaller S/S screws nylon washers etc. I found that if you can see the sky through the pop rivet there is something wrong with the picture Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 01-21-2007, 11:26 PM   #12

Registry
Sorry S/S BOLTS not screws Some of us "EGG" lovers are a little bit screwy
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 01-22-2007, 12:59 AM   #13

Trailer: 1970 Boler
My '70 has a chrome pipe on one side, it appears it was more for running wires to the lights then as a support beam anyway.
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #14

This is good info. I started out just wondering if it would be ok to use two supports. Now I am thinking two is not only good, but maybe better for several reasons. I was just going to get another twisted wrought iron frame, but now I think I might go for some sort of pipe or panel so I could mount racks and run wire. Oh, the possibilities are endless! As long as I keep it lightweight. I also saw a very shiny metal or mirror backsplash in one of the photos. That would make the trailer appear larger and give me more areas to hide wiring. I also wouldn't have to worry about water or grease on the wall.
Thank you all for the ideas. Now I need to get out my notebook and write it all down!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:04 PM   #15

What do you think Byron? A couple of hand carved great blue herons. One at each end of the counter to hold up the upper cupboard. Would be the hit of the campout mabee.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
What do you think Byron? A couple of hand carved great blue herons. One at each end of the counter to hold up the upper cupboard. Would be the hit of the campout mabee.
That would probably do it. I think the neck might have to be scaled a bit larger, but it would be the talk of the campout.

You gonna carve them? ?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #17

Trailer: 1975 Boler 13 ft
lwehrly, if you decide you need an OEM one drop a line I have one I probably wont have a use for.

Dan
Dan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #18

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

When I got my Love Bug, it only had a support on one end. I built a lightweight angle iron support for the other end and used it to hang a small shelf for my alarm clock and to store my glasses at night. I remove everything from the shelf before towing or stuff falls on the bed.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:34 AM   #19

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Howdy, just thinking a bit about the use of one twisted iron brace vs. two....is it not possible that only one brace was used from the trailer manufacturers to not try to limit the natural flexing of the trailer body by using two, but only using one allows the body to flex/twist while being towed or even allows for some twisting when the trailer is stabilized when parked maybe two would stress the braces too much as they aren`t that strong... ...Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:01 AM   #20

It could be, but the closet is a pretty substantial piece of inflexable structure.I'm only second guessing. Mabee they left it off to make the end at the couch seem larger?????