Question re Bigfoot Weight - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-25-2003, 03:19 PM   #71
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When we first got our Trillium all the lights worked just perfect in the driveway. So we took it for a 30 mile test tow only to get home and discover that it had burned out all the lights at the back of the van. Not just burned, melted to the point of needing pliers and chisel to get the bulb out of the socket. Luckily it did nothing to the actual wireing.

The cause was a bad ground in the trailer.

Now we know that if we turn on a signal and both blink that the connection between van and trailer is dirty.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 03:48 PM   #72
A lot of trailer wiring arrangements rely on frame-ground and hitch-ball contact to get a ground. I prefer to run a ground wire around to each light and ensure it gets into the ground connector of the plug system. On trailers with house batteries, I also connect the frame ground to the battery (-) terminal. In fact, I recently ran a stout ground wire from my truck battery back to the rear frame *and* also connected it to the trailer ground connection.

When you stop and consider that it's possible to have all your trailer lights, your reefer and your trailer brakes full on all at the same time, plus maybe some other parasitic loads, while your truck is trying to recharge the trailer battery, you realize that you want a grounding arrangement that can carry the returns for all these loads simultaneously without failure or degradation of current -- that's a potential for a *lot* of amps headed for the trailer with only one ground lead to serve them all, and it might not be a good time to expect the other stuf to give up their share to the brakes...

Pete and Rats who don't have any grounding wires at all...

Old 03-25-2003, 07:29 PM   #73
I went to u-haul today and the installer came out and quickly determined that the wiring adapter he installed -- just like the one Pete recommended-- was shorted out. I'm betting I did that when I was goofing around with the wiring.

He said just bring the whole rig in and he'll fix it all, no prob.

Nice service, huh? :)

bigfoot, weighing, weight