Questions about Clips around the interior / exterior windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr
Hi, I have a Compact Jr. On the interior top piece of wood (of the frame of the window) (both on the left and right) are 2 flatten U shape hooks - (brackets?) the same bracket is up on the ceiling on the lip of the roof that goes up. Would these be original? Hardware for some type of curtain treatment?

The Exterior Windows (left and right) - on each side of the window about half way up are brackets as well. However there are no other brackets - at the top or bottom of the window that would indicate some way to support an awning. Any ideas?

I can post some pictures if that would be helpful.

Thank You...

John
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
On the exterior of a Compact Jr. in front and behind both side windows there are a pair of screws that hold nothing. There was an optional window awning over each side window and these are the attachment points for the hardware. If you look at the brochure photo in the Document Center, you will see the side awning in its stowed position.

Our 1973 has the same interior brackets bolted to the edge on the lower top. I have no idea what function they have.

Tom Trostel
Old 02-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #3

Tom - Thank you.. I'll look closer on the exeterior windows - when I remove them and the 3lbs of slapped on silicone...

I saw the stowed awning in the documents.. Have you seen one upclose... would love to find originals (HAHA) or I'll get creative and fabric something. But I'll look for those screws you mentioned.

As far as the interior hooks - so they are there for some reason - as of yet unknown.. Must be a state secret..LOL.... Ok I'll keep them when I replace the wood.

The only thing I could think of would be for another panel to hang over the window... Like another storm window...

Hmm. the we'll keep looking...

Thank you again..
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Even though we don't know their original function, we found many uses for them. We string a clothsline for damp towels while in transit. We hang a net from them while sleeping for light weight storage. And, we use them as a attachment for the rear of a shelf that rests on top of the front window frame.

I assume we're talking about a bracket that looks like this .......

http://www.drivingessentials.com/pop%20up%...s_sfootloop.htm
Old 02-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #5

My sister's trailer has the outside awning brackets; during the last fix-up session I made up some support rods. Sis plans to sew the awnings herself (someday ). The upper support rod fastens to two threaded studs which protrude from the upper edge of the window frame.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=294989
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows