Rain=leaks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #1

Name: bobby
Trailer: 1979 trillium 4500
California
Registry
Question Rain=leaks

well it finally rained in California and my new to me 78 Trillium 4500 leaked everywhere. I have searched the forums and I know what to do to reseal the windows with butyl tape. The roof is a different story. I have an A/C unit on the roof and it looks like Trillium added a raised panel to increase headroom for the inside A/C vent. Someone put what looks like black Henrys roof patch on every seam.The roof vent's plastic sides are cracked & it has duct tape to seal it. I ordered a new one & butyl tape for the seal. I will clean around it but removing all the black sealant is a huge task. I am considering covering all the black with Kool Seal white elastomeric roof coat. Am I on the right track ?
Thanks, Bobby
bobby62g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Two wrongs don't make a right. You will be much happier if you just bite the bullet and remove the ac and put a new gasket under it.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #3

California
Registry
It's not the A/C that leaks, it is the windows, the roof vent & the seams on the roof. I will have to remove the tarp & take a picture.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
There are no seams on a Trillium roof, or shouldn't be. There are cutouts, and it sounds like that's where the leaks are.

Best treatment is the same as for windows- remove fixture and replace "gasket", probably with butyl tape in all cases.

That said:

Since the A/C and roof vent edges don't show like the windows do, you might give Eternabond tape a try in those locations. It'll go on without removing the vent or A/C. Bear in mind, though, that it needs a good clean surface to adhere properly, which means you'll have to get the gunk off that's already there.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Trillum actually build a roof support "thingy" for the roof A/Cs from the factory. I didn't know about it until someone posted a picture! That panel actually straddled most of the roof. I'll see if I can find a picture in the archives...

On EDIT: Does your roof have a panel like this?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rts-51044.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:46 PM   #6

Registry
The factory A/C support panel for the Trillium consisted of both an inside and an outside piece that were will fit either the 1300 or the 4500 and looks like this:

It was fitted directly over the shell- the cutout would be limited to the size of that in the smaller shroud piece in the pic.

Lots more info/pics at Randy Bishop's 1300 reno thread at this link.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:19 AM   #7

California
Registry
thank you Francesca, I hoped what I was looking at wasn't somebody's "good idea". I just need to decide whether to remove what I think is a reasonable amount of the old seal so I can coat over it. It seems as the elastomeric is a good product and suitable for fiberglass. Are you near Forks?
Thanks,
Bobby
Old 02-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #8

Registry
I did live in Forks for awhile years ago but now live on the east side of the Peninsula. I still camp near there several times a year, though.

As a fellow West Coasterner (no sticky climate like the East has), it occurs to me to ask whether you intend to keep/use the A/C? Depending on camping style, it can be excess baggage since use depends on available power.

And you're blessed with perhaps the best ventilated fiberglass trailer ever made...jalousie windows on all four sides and at least one roof vent. Including the window in my door, there are SEVEN openers in my trailer walls, eight if counting the escape window. It's really remarkable how much air one can get moving by way of the cross venting this allows.

I boondock almost exclusively all up and down the West Coast including some pretty hot inland areas and have never suffered by way of the lack of an A/C unit.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #9

California
Registry
I replaced the shroud on the A/C, but I don't know if I ever will use it. Most of the places we used to camp had no hookups. Eventually I will take the trailer to our place in N cal that is off grid & I will/can not use the A/C there. When not in use it will double as a guest bedroom.We have finished the interior for now, I just need to be sure it's raintite.

Tags
leaks