reading lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
reading lights

Hello all. I'm replacing the 3 reading lights (Progressive Dynamics Bullet Light) installed new by Scamp about 18 months ago because they just aren't made to withstand the jiggle of road travel. I'm looking at Arcon Halogen Bullet Swivel Reading Lights, which look -- ONLY ON THE INTERNET!!! -- to have a much better mechanism for adjusting (and maintaining) the direction of the light, and won't self-destruct while the trailer is in tow. But I haven't been able to find any place in Calgary that can let me look at one before I put in an order. Does anyone know these lights and know of any problems, strengths, or reasons they wouldn't replace the "original equipment"? I've wasted way too much time trying to keep the Progressive Dynamics in repair. I wish Scamp had given me the option of spending a bit more money on the lamps and let them do the same wiring installation but with better equipment. Otherwise, we're pretty darn happy with our 13 footer! Richard
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davis View Post
Hello all. I'm replacing the 3 reading lights (Progressive Dynamics Bullet Light) installed new by Scamp about 18 months ago because they just aren't made to withstand the jiggle of road travel. I'm looking at Arcon Halogen Bullet Swivel Reading Lights, which look -- ONLY ON THE INTERNET!!! -- to have a much better mechanism for adjusting (and maintaining) the direction of the light, and won't self-destruct while the trailer is in tow. But I haven't been able to find any place in Calgary that can let me look at one before I put in an order. Does anyone know these lights and know of any problems, strengths, or reasons they wouldn't replace the "original equipment"? I've wasted way too much time trying to keep the Progressive Dynamics in repair. I wish Scamp had given me the option of spending a bit more money on the lamps and let them do the same wiring installation but with better equipment. Otherwise, we're pretty darn happy with our 13 footer! Richard
You didn't include a web link, so I can't see the actual lights. For durability and brightness, my impression form using halogens previously at work is that halogen lights would be more durable than traditional light bulbs. However, I have never had a traditional bulb fail in transit, or a compact fluorescent bulb either. Your trailer must be really bouncing around.

Is power consumption an issue? If so, perhaps LED bulbs would help? They are more or less indestructrable and use much less power.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
You didn't include a web link, so I can't see the actual lights. For durability and brightness, my impression form using halogens previously at work is that halogen lights would be more durable than traditional light bulbs. However, I have never had a traditional bulb fail in transit, or a compact fluorescent bulb either. Your trailer must be really bouncing around.

Is power consumption an issue? If so, perhaps LED bulbs would help? They are more or less indestructrable and use much less power.

Rick G
Thanks Rick. The problem is not at all with the bulbs, but with the lamps themselves. The original bulbs are still working fine and the illumination of the bulbs has always been perfect. I think, but am not certain, that they are halogen. The problem is with the construction of the "adjustable" component of the lamps. They "adjust" by having two plastic geared cogs "engage" with two wires running across the lamp. One problem is that the cogs disengage from the wires on any sort of bumby drive (hence, the lamp flops down and won't stay back up unless the cogs are re-engaged -- not easy to do). The biggest problem, though, is that the two wires -- with vibration -- come out of the plastic casings of the lamps. Of course, this means the cogs disengage AND the wires are virtually impossible to put back in place without removing the entire light fixture (which I've done more than once). When the lights are working as they should, they are perfect. And the bulb are also flawless (I've read many books with these lamps!). But the design of how they swivel and adjust up and down is just foolish for a trailer in tow.
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I purchased one from CW, solid brass, well built and you can replace the bulb with a led spot if needed- around $70 for one.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights