realigning frame with egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1300
Hey all.
well the frame is removed...phew. pics posted of it removed and grinding has started. while I was grinding and thinking, a couple of questions came to mind.

what paint to paint it with.....?
I'm thinking Tremclad (rustoleum) in the USA. (i think).

And How do you realign up the egg with the frame. is it just shake shimmy and roll, till it all aligns up. a couple of guides down the holes to help align, is all I came up with so far.
Pics here..
http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g43/silv...ER/the%20frame/
steve J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
You could use the POR 15 paint. Just have to brush off the loose scaly areas and then paint right over the frame, as long as you have no repairs to do to it. This paint will last forever on there and it adheres to the rust. Have used it on car frames before but it must have a old surface to adhere to. If not this paint, Tremclad would also be a good choice. On my frame, we just used a couple of long locator studs pushed up from the bottom as we lowered the shell back on. If you have electric brakes, good time to rewire them while the shell is off. And I picked up a 1" wide foam from Home Depot to put on the frame for insulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer_Frame_9A.jpg   Trailer_Frame_8A.jpg  

Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Don's correct, POR 15 is great stuff! Just remember, you'll need an absolutely grease-free surface for whatever paint/rust-inhibitor you choose to use. This would be a good time to get the frame sand blasted so you can check the entire length for minute cracks and fatigue.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Just a quick note. The POR 15 will not adhere to a sand blasted surface without prepping it firs... and don't ask me how I know this!! The sandblasting is an excellent way to check the condition of your frame before you start doing any repairs.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry

And one other thing ... POR 15 is great, but don't get it where you don't want it. Wear gloves.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Quote:
... I picked up a 1" wide foam from Home Depot to put on the frame for insulation.
Don, I don't think the insulating foam is a good idea -- at least it wouldn't be on my Compact Jr.

The reason is that on my trailer there are only 8 bolts spaced about 2 feet apart holding the body to the frame. The foam will crush under the bolts, but not as much between them, so the body and floor will be distorted around the bolts.

I don't know about Bolers but I suspect that it also has widely-spaced bolts attaching the body to the frame.

Also, with the bouncing and abrasion the foam will compact over time, resulting is loose bolts. The foam was never designed for this kind of service and I don't think it will hold up very well.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper