Rear Bunks in Trillium 4500? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #21

Name: Tom Young
Trailer: Trillium Manufacturing
Arizona
Hi Bill:

As I remember, all 4500s had the front dinette fiberglass front as in your pictures. I don't think we ever built one with the flat front as the 1300s had. It's hard to tell from your pics if there was a bunk in your trailer. Look at the wood frame directly under the window. If there's about 10 screw holes going across this wood frame work, then it had a bunk. The wood board across the 2 dinette seats is not original, so it's hard to say what was there before. Are there screw holes in the 4 corners, indicating a previously anchored board? (In the fiberglass.)
We tried to accommodate as many customer requests as possible. This trailer could have been built without a bunk or fixed table. Perhaps the original customer had a portable table in the this spot. A factory installed front dinette table would not have been anchored onto the window frame wood. It's way too high.
On further reflection, you have a newer 4500, as evidenced by the bump out for the larger fridge. At this point all 4500s would have had the same front end - dinette or bunk.

Hope this helps.

Center seam molding: Bolers/Scamps have a different joining method. Not knowing what Paul did, you may want to contact me about fixing the seam.

Fridge: Be sure to seal the back of the refrigerator to the interior of the trailer. You don't want to have the combustion exhaust gases entering the trailer.

Tom
TomA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
Hi Bill:

As I remember, all 4500s had the front dinette fiberglass front as in your pictures. I don't think we ever built one with the flat front as the 1300s had. It's hard to tell from your pics if there was a bunk in your trailer. Look at the wood frame directly under the window. If there's about 10 screw holes going across this wood frame work, then it had a bunk. The wood board across the 2 dinette seats is not original, so it's hard to say what was there before. Are there screw holes in the 4 corners, indicating a previously anchored board? (In the fiberglass.)
We tried to accommodate as many customer requests as possible. This trailer could have been built without a bunk or fixed table. Perhaps the original customer had a portable table in the this spot. A factory installed front dinette table would not have been anchored onto the window frame wood. It's way too high.
On further reflection, you have a newer 4500, as evidenced by the bump out for the larger fridge. At this point all 4500s would have had the same front end - dinette or bunk.

Hope this helps.

Center seam molding: Bolers/Scamps have a different joining method. Not knowing what Paul did, you may want to contact me about fixing the seam.

Fridge: Be sure to seal the back of the refrigerator to the interior of the trailer. You don't want to have the combustion exhaust gases entering the trailer.

Tom
Hi Tom,
My trailer is a 1981. Do you know what year production ceased?
It has the screw holes under the window, so it seems safe to assume an upper bunk was there, but there isn't any holes to anchor the lower bunk board so it may have had the portable table like you're suggesting. On my Bigfoot we had 3 different configurations,upper and lower bunk as well as a pedestal table with the upper bunk in the down position, or a couch(lower bunk as seat and upper as backrest). I hope to have all 3 on the 4500 as well by building an upper bunk and adding a pedestal table support.
As for the center seam the metal molding is missing so I plan on filling the seam with fiberglass putty and possibly using automotive vinyl trim.
I know about the seal around the back of the fridge but it's good to mention it because others might not be aware of the danger. I will be adding a carbon monoxide detector as well.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #23

Name: Tom Young
Trailer: Trillium Manufacturing
Arizona
Hi Bill:

I believe the last units were built in '82, although some stragglers may have gone out as '83. There were no trailers left by mid '82. Yours is certainly in the last 30, or so.

Good luck with the bunk project. Let me know if you need anything else, like dimensions, etc.
The original center seam molding can be found/ordered from most boat/RV dealers, or from TrilliumRV.com. Shipping may be expensive as it comes in 12' lengths. (Or, it can be cut in half for UPS.)
Fridge seal: It will be a little complicated since the old rear shroud seal piece probably won't fit the newer fridges. Make sure whatever you make fits well.

Note for others: If you have one of these trailers, with the rear bunk, please advise me. I'd like to assemble a data base of vintage Trilliums to address questions like this in the future.
Thanks.

Tom
TomA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #24

Trailer: 1978 15 ft Trillium 4500 and 1980 17 ft Boler
Send a message via MSN to Linda S

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Hi folks,

I've purchased a Trilium 4500 (bathroom model) and the dealer who's been refurbishing it said that it had a "stock" fold up bunk over the rear dinette. When I try to imagine how this would work without taking up too much space over the table, even when folded up, I can't see it working. I might ask him to leave it off. Was there really such on option with the original trailer?

Cheers!

Glen[/quote]

Hi, I am very interested in this upper bunk topic. I just purchased Ian Harrads 78 Trillium 4500 and need to build a bunk for my grandson to sleep in. Ian has a great idea using a welding method that he talked to me about.

I think I can put some sort of a fold out sitting area by day and bed by night piece tucked into the area between the porta potti and sink. I will check out the screw holes in my Trillium, there are lots around the window and Ian and I thought they were for a bunk that no longer exists.

I am looking for an awning as well if anyone knows where to find one, I live in Alliston, Ontario.

Thanks, Linda
Linda S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium