Rear Bunks in Trillium 4500? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium
Hi folks,

I've purchased a Trilium 4500 (bathroom model) and the dealer who's been refurbishing it said that it had a "stock" fold up bunk over the rear dinette. When I try to imagine how this would work without taking up too much space over the table, even when folded up, I can't see it working. I might ask him to leave it off. Was there really such on option with the original trailer?

Cheers!

Glen
GlenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Yes, there was a bunk available for over the main bunk. I assume this is because otherwise the bathroom model only sleeps two.

I'll attach some photos of it so you can see how it works. It's all in the metal arms that fold out from by the side window frames. It's still only a 3/4 size bunk and I don't think it's rated for adults. It precludes the normal shelving that Trillium put around the upper ceiling corners. Personally, although it's "nifty," I would leave it out unless I had to sleep those more people (maybe they'd like their own tent on the site ). Save the parts, sure, for potential future use, but mount them? I wouldn't, but it's all personal.

On the Bolerama site there is a Trillium brochure that shows a photo of the bunk, but this will give you a slightly more "nuts and bolts" view.

The last photo is a Trillum 1300, which shows the shelving that would normally be there if the trailer did not have the bunk option installed (oops, over my limit for one post; will add Trill 1300 shelving photo to next post).

Click image for larger version

Name:	trill_4500_bed.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	19059

Name:	trill_4500_bunk_open_no_cushions.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	19056

Name:	trill_4500_bunk_open.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	19057

Name:	trill_4500_bunk_up.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	19058

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #3

First photo:

Trillium 4500 style shelving in a later model 1300

Name:	dinette__bright_copy.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	19064

Second photo:

Trillium 1300 earlier model molded shelving (I don't think this style ever went in 4500s, but it shows the location of the shelving well).

Name:	Dinette_1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	19061
Old 04-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Hi Raya,
Two years ago I had a 1978 4500 front bath model that had the rather flimsy molded fiberblass shelves above the table. I only used it for one weekend to see if the larger bed was better than the 1300 version, then sold it. Your photos of the upper bunk are the first I've seen. Our first trailer( a 1984 1300 Bonair stick built) had this style of bunk which when half folded became an overhead storage cabinet and it was easier to sit down at the table without hitting your head. I think if you planned on sleeping 2 additional people on that upper bunk you might want to place the rear jacks very carefully, otherwise I could envision the bumper hitting the ground in the middle of the night!!
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #5

Hi Bill,

Oops, maybe I wasn't clear. What I meant to say was that the bunk was offered as an option in the 4500, and then as far as rear shelves...

Bunk = no shelves
No bunk = shelves

I'm thinking that maybe the bunk was only offered on bathroom models (to make up for the lack of front bed/bunk), but I don't know that for sure.

So I guess you liked the 13 better than the 4500 Was that direct Trillium 1300 to 4500? Or were you comparing to your Bigfoot. I've thought that I would like a 4500, but maybe it seemed "too" bulky to you?

Always interesting when someone elects to go smaller instead of getting "two-foot-itis"

Raya
Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium
Hi folks,

Thanks very much for the replies. They helped me decide to tell the guy I'm buying the trailer from to not reinstall the bunks, but I'll keep them for when I sell it.

Cheers!

Glen
GlenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Hi Bill,

Oops, maybe I wasn't clear. What I meant to say was that the bunk was offered as an option in the 4500, and then as far as rear shelves...

Bunk = no shelves
No bunk = shelves

I'm thinking that maybe the bunk was only offered on bathroom models (to make up for the lack of front bed/bunk), but I don't know that for sure.

So I guess you liked the 13 better than the 4500 Was that direct Trillium 1300 to 4500? Or were you comparing to your Bigfoot. I've thought that I would like a 4500, but maybe it seemed "too" bulky to you?

Always interesting when someone elects to go smaller instead of getting "two-foot-itis"

Raya
Hi Raya
You're probably right saying shelves would be an optiion on front bath model. I tested the 4500 while I had the Bigfoot. The reason for the test was I had an existing 4500 with no cushions that I was going to refurbish, and wondered if it would be worth the effort. I saw this front bath model nearby and was able to get it at a price where I could flip it and make money and also do the test. We took it to Bolerama 2 years ago, and sold it a week later knowing that the larger bunk was worth it. In the meantime my wife retired and we took the Bigfoot for a 3 week trip to Myrtle Beach. During that trip we decided we wanted a shower/bath as well as the larger bunk. After a long search we found a 16.5 stick built with a slide and the larger bunk and shower. We found this to work real well on a recent 7 week trip to Texas. I've been thinking about trying to put a shower base in the 4500 on the floor between the seats of the front dinette, and a track above to fasten a 360 curtain. The 4500 would not catch as much wind as the stick built and therefore would tow easier so I havn't given up hope of finding a way to use the 4500. This is a 1981 4500 and it appears it could of had a factory front dinette which I havn't seen anywhere else(it has two cabinets with a space on the floor between them where I could install the shower base), but there is no sign of either a floor or wall mount for the table and there is no upper bunk or hardware to mount one. Have you seen a front dinette in your travels?
Bill
Old 04-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Bill,

I was looking at a front dinette model last year. It was a lovely 4500 but with the front dinette there was no room for a bunk and 2 we have 2 boys. The rear dining table turned into a standard bed.

Dave Baston (self proclaimed Trillium king) has the optional dining area bunk model. He has posted pictures in the past of it so you can search on his threads to see it.

Cheers,
Booker

EDIT: Odd, I found the referral post I made for it but the picture I put up is no longer there - I will see if it's on my home computer : Trillium 4500
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi Bill,

I was looking at a front dinette model last year. It was a lovely 4500 but with the front dinette there was no room for a bunk and 2 we have 2 boys. The rear dining table turned into a standard bed.

Dave Baston (self proclaimed Trillium king) has the optional dining area bunk model. He has posted pictures in the past of it so you can search on his threads to see it.

Cheers,
Booker

EDIT: Odd, I found the referral post I made for it but the picture I put up is no longer there - I will see if it's on my home computer : Trillium 4500
Hi booker,
I don't understand why there wouldn't be enough room for a bunk. There is probably 8" or 9" more room in my 4500 than there was in the 13.5' Bigfoot, and it worked.
Bill
Old 04-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium Manufacturing
I'll shine a little light on this subject.
Early 1300s had a removable bunk over the rear dinette. This was later re-designed into a swing up/down bunk. Neither was designed for full sized adults, although one could probably squeeze in if they were a 'quiet sleeper'.
With these 2 bunk systems, the rear shelving was deleted for space reasons.

The 4500 front dinette was the same mold as the front bunk version. A permanent board was screwed in the center where the table would be fitted for sleeping, and the bunk hinged at the bottom of the window. The front bunk is mounted lower, so that the upper shelving could be retained. This was exactly the same as in the 1300 model. The front dinette table was a pedestal unit, and is still commonly used in the industry today.

Hope this clears things up.

Tom
Trillium RV
TomA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #11

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the input. I've never seen the removable rear bunk in a 1300 (or evidence of it); they must be rare. Of course now I want to see one

Raya
Old 04-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #12

Exclamation

Quote:
I'll shine a little light on this subject.
Early 1300s had a removable bunk over the rear dinette. This was later re-designed into a swing up/down bunk. Neither was designed for full sized adults, although one could probably squeeze in if they were a 'quiet sleeper'.
With these 2 bunk systems, the rear shelving was deleted for space reasons.

The 4500 front dinette was the same mold as the front bunk version. A permanent board was screwed in the center where the table would be fitted for sleeping, and the bunk hinged at the bottom of the window. The front bunk is mounted lower, so that the upper shelving could be retained. This was exactly the same as in the 1300 model. The front dinette table was a pedestal unit, and is still commonly used in the industry today.

Hope this clears things up.

Tom
Trillium RV
Hi Tom,
I've owned several 1300's and 2 4500's and like Raya have never seen evidence of any upper bunk in the back. I just looked at my 4500 again and there are holes just below the window where you say they mounted the upper bunk hinge. There are also ledges formed in the two floor cabinets to support a board/table in the lower bunk. But there is no sign of holes in the floor for a pedestal to support the table. Did they do a front double bunk arrangement and not go the extra few dollars for the pedestal to make a front dinette? Do you know what year they started the front dinette version? Hope you can shed even more light.
Bill
Old 04-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #13

Trailer: Trillium Manufacturing
Hi Raya:
I should have more clear. These bunks were optional, and not very popular. Most didn't want to lose the upper shelves, so visitors/kids were usually thrown into a sleeping bag somewhere.
The bunks would be a rare find.

Hi Bill:
If you have holes under the rear side windows, they were probably for this bunk. Try contacting the previous owner to see if they still have it hiding in a garage or closet.
The front gaucho was the most popular model back then, which was started about '75/76. We played around with different attachment methods. Pedestal was one, another was the same hinge that was for the rear dinette table. If you still have the 4500 front dinette, I'd be interested in knowing what's there. We built so many Trilliums that I can't remember all the combinations that customers ordered.

Tom
TomA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #14

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Dave does have a good point Raya. I don't think there is anybody else on here that has owned 4 different Trilliums, never mind all 4 in one year. He should be ables to shed some thoughts and photos on these units.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #15

Don,

I'm not disputing Dave's title, or saying he doesn't deserve it; I'm sorry if I implied otherwise.

As far as I'm concerned, he's welcome to shed all the thoughts and photos he'd like to. I love to hear about Trilliums.

Raya
Old 04-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We have some Kings, some Queens and a whole lot of Jokers on FiberglassRV... does that help?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #17

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Whoa, I didn't realize my Trillium King comment would result in side tracking this thread! The context of my comment was around Dave's knowledge of Trillium 4500's due to his having so many and not about the acutal title.... and on that note still haven't found a 4 sleeper 4500 any closer than calgary yet =(
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
All in fun. Now, who are the Queens on here but better yet, how about the Jokers???
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
All in fun. Now, who are the Queens on here but better yet, how about the Jokers???
Well, I know I'm a QUEEN... just ask my daughter THE PRINCESS . And the Jokers abound! We even have an entire forum dedicated to JOKES.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Hi Raya:
I should have more clear. These bunks were optional, and not very popular. Most didn't want to lose the upper shelves, so visitors/kids were usually thrown into a sleeping bag somewhere.
The bunks would be a rare find.

Hi Bill:
If you have holes under the rear side windows, they were probably for this bunk. Try contacting the previous owner to see if they still have it hiding in a garage or closet.
The front gaucho was the most popular model back then, which was started about '75/76. We played around with different attachment methods. Pedestal was one, another was the same hinge that was for the rear dinette table. If you still have the 4500 front dinette, I'd be interested in knowing what's there. We built so many Trilliums that I can't remember all the combinations that customers ordered.

Tom
Hi Tom,
I,m still not sure this 4500 ever had a front dinette. Since it has floor space between the floor cabinets(looks original) I thought it might have had the front dinette, but if the holes under the window were for an upper bunk then there are no holes in the floor for a pedestal. Possibly there was no upper bunk and the holes under the window were for a wall mount table(same as the rear table configuration). I've added a couple pictures showing whats there now(not much). This trailer came with the fridge(not working) in the middle of the floor, no cushions, and no belly band. Recently I found a used fridge out of an old stickbuilt trailer. I have to enlarge the opening in the 4500 to accept this fridge but it will be worth it because I'll gain more freezer space. The belly band area is going to be filled like Paul did on his 1650 Boler.

Name:	4500b.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	19547

Name:	4500c.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	19548

Bill