Rear of my Scamp.. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
As I was sanding, prepping and poking around my 85 13' Scamp I found another big job...

#1 The spare tire mount was cracked... I removed the tire, sanded the area, glassed and filled the holes... I hate the mount on the back, anyone ever mount the spare under the trailer? I can't find any hits with the search function.

#2 The previous owner had put bolts right through the body to mount the table? So, I removed them and water came out of the hole? I started pushing on the inside of the wall where the table mounts and it was all "squishy"! Out came the grinder and chisel. The board that was glassed in the the rear inside for the table to mount to was nothing but mush. I think that someone ripped the table out of the factory hole years ago and rather then use an anchor and use the same hole, they drilled all the way through and used bolts. This they did not water proof! water came in through the bolts and rotted the transom type board....

I think I might just build a column style table mount? Or, I could reglass a new transom in place and remount the table the original way.. any suggestions?

I'll post pictures next week.... my camera is on the frtiz.
Joe Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 77 Scamp
since reglassing a new piece of wood is so easy I vote for that. No idea about the tire good luck.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
I don't see any reason that you could not engineer a carrier under the floor and between the frames rails. I remember pickup trucks often stored their spares under the bed...

That said, given the standard 13' wheels, clearance is typically low. You have to be sure you're not losing any more.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I vote for glassing in a new board too. My table is mounted on a column, and it always seems tippy/wobbly. I am thinking of modifying over to the wall mounted table system to have more stability.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
With the frame out from under my Boler I decided to add a spare tire mount underneath. Mine never had a mount on the outside and this seemed like the best option for me. If I ever need to use it I'm sure I'll be cursing myself for having to climb underneath and unscrew 2 lug nuts but with the likelihood of that being low I thought it was a good compromise. It keeps the spare out of sight and puts the weight much closer to the axle.

I was already adding another longitudinal member to the frame to support a new gray water tank (didn't have one of those either) so I just made sure it allowed enough clearance to fit a tire up in to the frame. I then added a cross piece as far forward as possible to support the wheel. To this I welded a support structure that holds 2 lug studs that I salvaged off the axle I was replacing. I also salvaged some nuts and welded some round tube and flat pieces to that where I drilled aligning holes so I can place a lock or bolt through to ensure that the nuts won't come loose dropping the tire.

Once the frame is back under the trailer I'll add a couple 3/4" plywood blocks where the front and back of the tire will hit the subfloor to ensure that the tire can't rock on the mount.

Russ

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000137.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	27603
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:39 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Thanks Russ... that is what I am thinking of...
Joe Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 1997 Scamp 13 ft
Why not build a mount that attaches to the rear bumper? The bumper is certainly strong enough to hold a tire rack if it can support the 2" receiver for my bike rack.
Ben Kadas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp