Recharging battery and shore power - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Recharging battery and shore power

This is probably a silly question... but will your battery normally re-charge when you're plugged into shore power?
Old 08-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
This is probably a silly question... but will your battery normally re-charge when you're plugged into shore power?
You're right.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That's a "Maybe" with your Lil Bigfoot.

When we bought ours, for some reason or another, a previous owner had wired in a separate battery charger to charge the coach battery. Most (but not all) converters also have a battery charging function. The easiest way to find out is to read your battery voltage when unplugged and then read it again when plugged in. It should jump from the mid to low 12 volts to about 14 volts. I think that there is also a switch on your power panel to switch from battery to plug in power.

We replaced the original stuff with a Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 power center with a built in smart charger.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #4

CA
Ron has done that and the voltage did not change.

One thing neither of us know is whether we HAVE a converter. Isn't there usually a panel inside? I don't see one.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
That's a "Maybe" with your Lil Bigfoot.

When we bought ours, for some reason or another, a previous owner had wired in a separate battery charger to charge the coach battery. Most (but not all) converters also have a battery charging function. The easiest way to find out is to read your battery voltage when unplugged and then read it again when plugged in. It should jump from the mid to low 12 volts to about 14 volts. I think that there is also a switch on your power panel to switch from battery to plug in power.

We replaced the original stuff with a Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 power center with a built in smart charger.
Do you check battery voltage while the battery is connected to trailer, While plugged in, or unplugged, ??? I just got a mutimeter and trying to figure everything out. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #6

Converter

Quote:
Ron has done that and the voltage did not change.

One thing neither of us know is whether we HAVE a converter. Isn't there usually a panel inside? I don't see one.
The Lil Bigfoot converter/power panel is usually in the lower section of the left bed/dinette seat, just aft of the sink counters. Look under that seat and see what's inside.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #7

North Carolina
Ellpea , I have been watching this thread, and others you have been involved in, and I have come to one conclusion.

It is not an insult to say that you do not know your trailer - it is something new to you and I can assure you that if I somehow became the owner of a Cessna Piper Cub, then I would be just as unfamiliar with the plane.

But the good news is that camping trailers are all more alike than different, just as small planes share many common features. Therefore, if I woke up tomorrow with good title to that Cessna, I would go to the local airport and find an owner (or three) of similar planes to walk me through the basic construction and operation (as a first step toward getting my pilot’s license).

I strongly suspect that your trailer does have a converter and it would charge the trailer’s battery if it was operating properly. But only an onsite inspection can confirm that. My best guess is that you have a converter that is not fully functional, but that is only a guess. And that’s the rub, dealing with this issue in the forum, with limited information and no actual inspection, means that we can only take uneducated guesses. The power systems in most trailers are not that different, although larger campers and motor homes have more stuff. If I could get a look in your trailer, I am sure I could help you figure it all out, and I am not even one of the more knowledgeable trailer owners.

So my suggestion is to network with one or more local camping trailer owners and have them over for a glass of wine, a pizza or similar enticement, and start a conversation about the trailer sitting in your driveway (after it gets back of course). There is no substitute for someone who knows just a little more than you taking a look at the actual hardware.

Best of luck and if you ever get this way I will be glad to have a look at your rig and offer my mostly uneducated two cents.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #8

Ellpea... Do you have more pics of the interior that you have posted somewhere? If you take some we can see, it will help immensely.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:33 PM   #9

CA
No, additional pictures, but I can take and post some tomorrow. I'm guessing you're interested in the inside works? Under the bunks and where all the wiring is?

Thank you, Bob, I do appreciate your willingness to help.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:39 PM   #10

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Ellpea , I have been watching this thread, and others you have been involved in, and I have come to one conclusion.

It is not an insult to say that you do not know your trailer - it is something new to you and I can assure you that if I somehow became the owner of a Cessna Piper Cub, then I would be just as unfamiliar with the plane.

snip

Best of luck and if you ever get this way I will be glad to have a look at your rig and offer my mostly uneducated two cents.
Gordon, It's probably very tiresome to see repeated questions from someone who barely understands the subject. Having local trailer acquaintances would be ideal and is certainly a goal. Thank you for your kind suggestions.

LP
Old 08-07-2015, 05:23 AM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Gordon, It's probably very tiresome ..
LP
I think a better adjective is unproductive but we do what we can with the inherent limitations of the online medium.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #12

CA
unproductive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I think a better adjective is unproductive but we do what we can with the inherent limitations of the online medium.
We used to admonish students that there was no such thing as a silly question, because if they had it, it was guaranteed that many of their colleagues had the same one. Perhaps I have been mistaken as to the purpose of this forum. Is there a better location where I and others with *unproductive* issues might flounder?
Old 08-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Gordon2 was trying to help you and offered good advice. If you have no clue, you can't ask intelligent questions and get a useful answer.
You need one-on-one instruction from somebody familiar with your trailer.
There are silly questions.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #14

Hang in there Ellpea, at least you are asking multiple questions about a rig you actually own. If need be I will PM you my private email address. But if you can post those interior pics it will help.

This is a place to learn. I too was a Teacher/Trainer/Instructional Designer (M.Ed.) and, so far I haven't seen you post any irrelevant questions.

BTW: I would be on the phone to Volvo North America in NJ wanting to know where my parts were. If they haven't gotten here within a week I'd question if they actually exist in the U.S. or if they are coming from Sweden (or China?)

Tags
battery