Recommendations? TV, DVD, CD syst. for Scamp 5th - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
New owner...will pick up new Scamp 19' from Backus this Wednesday! Any recommendations for sound system: TV, DVD, CD player? Pretty excited here!

By the way, how late in the fall do I dare use full water facilities in this part of the country (I think I read somewhere to cease when temp dips below 32 for more than 2 hours...rule of thumb?)?

David from Duluth
David Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 86 Fiber Stream
When I purchased my Fiber Stream I ask myself these same questions. My son recommended that I purchase a lap top computer and a TV tuner. I thought this was a good idea. That way you have DVD, CD and TV and computer for not much more than what a TV, DVD would cost. Trailer had am fm radio with tape player. Only mistake I made was not buying a HDTV tuner.
Dwight Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
When I purchased my Fiber Stream I ask myself these same questions. My son recommended that I purchase a lap top computer and a TV tuner. I thought this was a good idea. That way you have DVD, CD and TV and computer for not much more than what a TV, DVD would cost. Trailer had am fm radio with tape player. Only mistake I made was not buying a HDTV tuner.
The only thing I would add to that is a good set of Speakers for your laptop. They’ll plug right into your notebook and give Full Bodied stereo sound, say if your watching “Top Gun” or something
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
This is a very GOOD tuner more info at
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=373&type=expert
Video at
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #5

Great idea!. I was planning on getting a laptop soon anyway, so that really makes sense. Thanks.
(Hope I'm replying correctly...first time)
David Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Winter Camping: I did it in Maryland 7 years ago. I was connected up to running water and sewer and I insulated all water lines and used heat tapes and put rock salt in the gray and black tanks. Did not have water in the clean holding water tank. The electricity was free and I ran 3 electric heaters along with the propane furnace.

If you are going to just do it for a weekend or so what I would do is to winterize the water lines with antifreeze and then take bottled water to drink and wash dishes, use a tub in the sink and dispose of it that way without using the campers fresh, gray or black systems.

TV on the Laptop: What an outstanding idea.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
I agree, the laptop with a HD seperate tuner is a great way to go. It gives you a TV, a DVD player and a computer eccentually all in one!
We bought the Pinnacle HD Pro Stick for about $100 at Bestbuy. Works like a charm!! Ron
Old 10-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
David,

I picked up my Scamp 5er 1 April this year. We really like it. I have two 15 inch HDTV's. One in the loft and one in the pantry area. I bought the mounts at SAM's club for about $50 each along with a DVD/CD player for about $50. I would reccomend the Polorid 15 inch HDTV, about $200 at WalMart. The one I bought for the loft is an Insignia from Best Buy, It cost more and not as good of a picture. The antenna from Scamp works real well. Most places i get 15-20 channels.

Ed
ehawkins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You might want to check the specifications in the manual to make sure they can survive in the camper where it will either get to HOT or to COLD when you are not camping.

The manual may caution that to Hot or to Cold could ruin the LCD.

DR
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
For the time being our trailer only has a 12V DVD player on a swing arm mount, something I picked up from Walmart for $99 and is intended to be one of those strap-to-the-headrest-and-amuse-the-kids kinda things. With 2009 set as the date that traditional analog TV stations turn the lights out and move to HD digital, I'm putting off buying anything more fancy until 12V LCD TVs with built-in HD tuners come down in price. My ideal tuner would be one of those kitchen under-cabinet mounts that includes a DVD/CD/AM/FM/HDTV tuner.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1976
Quote:
New owner...will pick up new Scamp 19' from Backus this Wednesday! Any recommendations for sound system: TV, DVD, CD player? Pretty excited here!

By the way, how late in the fall do I dare use full water facilities in this part of the country (I think I read somewhere to cease when temp dips below 32 for more than 2 hours...rule of thumb?)?

David from Duluth
i have a 13 foot trilly so my needs may be different but i had a under the cabinet cd/mp3/dvd/cd/jpeg player installed under the cupboard above my sink. the little screen folds up out of the way. does the trick for me as is right by the bed. i also bought from Canuck Tire a solar battery pack that will run any appliance /gidget /widget to my hearts content when boondocking. will even charge my cell.
Janet G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:39 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I guess all this depends on where you like to camp or RV as the case might be. The places we generally go the best TV show is right outside the window, or the big surround screen provide by mother nature. The best music is birds singing, the breezes in the trees, and rustling of the night creatures, the hoots of a distant owl, or howling of a coyote. It's great fun to turn on my headlight (the one with elastic straps that you put on like a hat) to red and look for eyes in the night. Then try to guess what animal belongs to those two red dots that move around.

It's the kind of TV, DVD, Stereo, etc. you can use anyplace, you don't have lug it around, it doesn't need it's batteries replaced or charged. In fact it charges my batteries.

There you have it. The very best entertainment system possible. That's my opinion.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You've got a real good point Byron when the weather is nice, there's nothing better than the good old outdoor picture show. But we know the weather isn't always stellar, bugs like to come out and play at night and children aren't always perfect. Having a DVD or TV in the trailer sometimes makes the camping experience a good one to remember. It's a nice way for children who are not yet readers to unwind and calm down before bed. Pleasant for Mom and Dad to watch a movie that, at home, they never had time for... because life always gets in the way.

I'm following this topic closely, because the big ole 19" TV/VCR combo.... is gonna be replaced someday.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:56 AM   #14

Question

I agree, it's great to sit out and look for red eyes at night. My only thought is--when those red eyes are more that 5 feet off the ground, perhaps it's time to go inside, lock the door, and WATCH tv!
Old 10-26-2007, 06:43 AM   #15

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I'm with Byron..............well, mostly.

I've spent a lot of my life out in the wilds in a tent or backpacking. I've played a lot of those "find the red eyes" games. I'm not used to having a television with me. But now that I'm traveling in a trailer, I think I might enjoy being able to drop a DVD in the player and watch a movie on those nights it's raining and I don't want to venture out. And, yes, I'll probably pop some nachos into the microwave and enjoy them during the movie. Both times and circumstances have changed in my life.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:07 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
This is the "low" cost ($22) LCD mount I purchased for adding an LCD TV to our Casita. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BMQPC...6388166-5538447

I like the idea of a laptop with tuner if you can work out the logistics of arranging it for viewing. Since we are Directv junkies we went with the LCD.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0139.JPG  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to neilbarb
Here is what i did in our 5th wheel scamp deluxe for loft. Bought 8 1/2 inch dvd player and ran rca cables to receiver in living area to give the option of using it as tv tuner so we can listen to music or watch tv up there. The sound volume was not loud enough from player so added 2 small powered sony computer speakers and it works very well. We use a 19" flat screen on its base sitting on top of sat receiver downstairs. Also added rca remote extenders so we can cvhange channels in loft.
Attached Thumbnails
100_7146.JPG  
neilbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #18

Update!!! We just received our Yamaha speaker for our laptop from DELL. The sound was marginal at best on my wifes laptop so we needed to enhance it. The new exterior speaker was under a $100, is small and thin, comes with a drawstring carrying case and the sound can be adjusted to meet our needs. It's powered thru the USB port, and is a terrific product. This speaker will make our "laptop TV" usable under any campground condition!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I found this LCD TV at my local Target this weekend for $250. I went to Ace Hardware and purchased to "wall mounts" Once of which I put in the scamp. The other in our Home Bedroom. In less than one minute I can remove the coax, power and TV from the wall in the house and move it out to the scamp.
It's a simple double mount contraption. Part of the connector is mounted to the wall and the other to the Television. All that is required is lift the TV off of the hangar.

http://www.target.com/Trutech-Widescreen-L...20tv&page=1
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:32 PM   #20

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Here is what I did with mine

Click image for larger version

Name:	burroentertainment.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	11364

I got it off eBay for 200ish. It's an Audiovox 12v unit, 10", model D1020. They are still available there. It does have a walwart for the 120v option, I use both.

I did not like the onboard audio, so I took it apart and hard wired in my own speaks. Unfortunately, it did not have an extension speaker option.

I am not much of a video fanatic, and I got this because it plays CDs as well as DVDs, so I have all in one.

Picture is to my tastes and it certainly takes up no space.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp