Wow!!!

CindyL

Old 06-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Headed to the store this week to get BKF and Zep. Does anyone put a coat of wax over the Zep? Or do the solvents in the wax soften or dissolve the Zep?

Old 06-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Looks real nice....
Old 06-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Kevin, I've been very satisfied with the ability of RMPro to shed dirt over the two years I've used it. Never occurred to me that I should add work by over-waxing as long as an occasional car wash kept the trailer looking good.

jack
Old 06-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Red Max doesn't stick to wac and probably the other way around

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #20

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Red Max doesn't stick to wac and probably the other way around
Actually spray on wax works well on red max to finish off with that " killer shine".
Old 06-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanks, everyone! I'll try it first on the rockguard, maybe. Or behind the spare. Will try Mother's California Gold, no cleaners or silicone, so it should work, I've used it on a lot of strange items before and it always surprises me. Had a day of bonding with my egg, want it to look good.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Go ahead and bond to your egg, but avoid using super glue or you two may become inseparable.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #23

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
Went looking for another gallon of Red Max Pro at Lowes today. They don't carry it anymore. I did find Zep at Home Depot, 2 kinds: the Wet Look, and the High Traffic. So... I see they changed the name to Zep, and changed the color of the container from red to blue. Well at least at Home Depot the one gallon size was available ($19 and $25). At my Lowes a 5 gallon container was about seventy bucks!

I should add, my Red Maxed Scamp has held up quite well after 2 years.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #24

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Leski View Post
Went looking for another gallon of Red Max Pro at Lowes today. They don't carry it anymore. I did find Zep at Home Depot, 2 kinds: the Wet Look, and the High Traffic. So... I see they changed the name to Zep, and changed the color of the container from red to blue. Well at least at Home Depot the one gallon size was available ($19 and $25). At my Lowes a 5 gallon container was about seventy bucks!

I should add, my Red Maxed Scamp has held up quite well after 2 years.
actually if you read the full label you will see that Red Max was a product of Zep so both are the same thing.
I did mine last summer and I'm getting the same blotchy effect on my roof that honda is talking about and I waited about 2 years to see what the reports from the original folks had to say. hmmm guess I didn't get it clean enough maybe?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #25

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Several of us getting change of appearance and/or loss of finish from roof. I'm curious if anyone has had occasion to heat with the trailer furnace in very cold weather? I was troubleshooting a problem with my Atwood Hydroflame last winter and on a couple of occasions ran the inside temp into the eighties with outside temperature around 30F. I think the burro double hull would buffer a quick heating and expansion of outer hull. And there is no evidence of finish loss around the exhaust port. On my trailer, the areas of loss were located on roof forward of the rear dinette which is where the furnace and register are located. Probably means nothing. Car hoods and rooves weather more quickly than do vertical surfaces. Has anyone examined the possibility of silicone or Dicor contamination in the effected areas?

jack
Old 06-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Something to consider, Jack. I plan on keeping very close tabs on the condition of my Zep finish.

Worst-case scenario is I have to strip it and redo it every year. One day of work isn't a bad trade for how good it looks. I plan on a recoat every year anyway. Besides, the gallon I bought is gonna last a couple years, anyway.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #27

Trailer: 1993 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft / 2002 GMC Safari SLT
California
I brought my Casita from storage to home go clean it up and give it a little love. The Red Max Pro 3 on the roof was partly gone from the 4 coats I had applied two years ago. I had bought a gallon of Red Max cleaner, but instead use Bars Keeper to reclean it which took off the old Red Max Pro 3. I then applied some 5 to 6 coats of Red Max Pro 3. We just finished several days of 100+ degree days. I don't see any deterioration on the roof. I would expect it may be best to reapply a coat or two each year especially on the upper surfaces.

I've spent much time trying to keep the Casita looking nice and shiny using the wax method only to needing to do it several times a year. The Red Max Pro 3 method has sure cut the maintenance time down and it consistently looks nice. The big issue in Sacramento is the yellow pollen that collects on the upward facing objects, but a quick wash and it's all clean.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #28

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Zep Wet Look

Well
We just applied Zep for the second time. The first attempt did not look good at all, It needs to be applied with a rung out soft cotton wash towl.
We used a sponge the first time, Badddd idea, to thick and it did not look good at all. It is easy to remove with Zep Stripper.
We just applied 2 coats and it looks much better, Now we await another dry spell to finish. WE must be in Oregon.
Time to finish this work stuff and go camping