Red Maxx Report - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Red Maxx Report

About two years ago I gave my Scamp 4 coats of Red Maxx. Since than we have traveled to Prince Edward Island,, made an 11 month loop of the USA and spent winter in FL. To all casual observers my trailer glows and looks bright white. This is not the case.

My trailer does glow and shines brilliantly but there are two things I noticed after washing the trailer yesterday.

First on wear surfaces, top leading edges and the roof (exposed to more sun?) have small and large areas that look whiter than surrounding areas. These are areas where the Red Maxx has worn off or been removed by sunlight.

Second, the difference in color means that Red Maxx is not a clear coat but may dull with age. The dulling is really not noticeable unless you're looking at a coated versus a non-coated surface. Everyone who looks at our Scamp things nothing but white.

Again to most people our Scamp glows. At least one motorhome owner and one fifth wheel owner saw our rig this winter and did their rigs.

I will say all side surfaces, even the front of the trailer do not exhibit any areas where the Red Maxx has come off.

I am applying another coat or two to the areas where the Red Maxx has come off. My goal is to see if it quickly ages to the non white of adjacent areas.

When we return from NFld I plan to strip the trailer, reclen it and apply Zep Wet Look since Red Maxx is no longer available.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Polyglo says to apply 1-2 new coats each year for maintenance. I wonder if you should do this with Red Max/Zep, too? (My polyglo wore off after several years of NOT doing this, and I redid it last year since I still had plenty left.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Norm,
You need to do a better job keeping people off your roof to prevent the floor polish from scraping off!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #4

Florida
I think it has to be related to sunlight since no other surface seems effected.

We did go thru a number of sandstorms this year. I ruled them out because it's primarily top surfaces that has worn.

I recoated the roof. Once again the glow is back but there's still a color difference but smaller. This may be a function of number of coats.

In retrospect when you are coating the surface for the first time, any drip looks a little gray. If a thick region looks gray, thinner regions must also look grey, but less so.

Considering the trailer looked 'praise great' for two years I believe its a good solution.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We use Red Max Pro on our UHaul VT and have done so for about 4 years. I give it a good wash each spring and add two more coats of Red Max. This seems to keep it looking nice. The VT is also kind of a beige color to start with, so any aging of the Red Max isn't noticed. It works for us!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I am preparing to recoat Burro at two months short of two yrs. since first application. No observable change in appearance on vertical surfaces BUT central roof forward of A/C and smaller area on the driver's side outboard of the central raised Pullman section has lost the shiny coating in a splotchy pattern composed of roughly circular spots of 3/4 to 1" diameter surrounded by continuous shiny finish. I scrubbed these areas with both BK and with medium cut (red) ScotchBrite. The shiny areas that retain wax do not scale at the edges or enlarge by the application of abrasion. In addition, edges of the dull spots can be detected with a fingernail.

I suspect silicone contamination from the sausage-sized dam of silicone with which the PO or another party surrounded the A/C shroud and which I removed as prep for the first RedMax application in 2011. I removed the silicone by scraping with a scrap of plastic laminate, abrasive removal with ScotchBrite, and Bestine as a solvent. I also removed silicone from a 14" vent when replacing with fan and a huge mess of same around the range hood vent on the vertical side and neither of the adjacent areas are affected. Perhaps some contaminant other than silicone weakened adhesion in the affected areas? There is absolutely no sign of progressive scaling around the spots; the surrounding wax is extremely tenacious and concentrated abrasion does not enlarge the spots.

Looks to me that the RedMax is dealing very well with sun, rain, freeze and thaw. I speculate that a very thin layer of silicone residue/other barrier has prevented simple mechanical adhesion of the wax to gelcoat. What I see doesn't appear to be the result of "weathering." I'm waiting for a warmup before recoating. In for a penny . . . .

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Jack, do you think there is a possibility of flexing from the weight of the air conditioner that may have caused the RMP to come loose? I don't know how flexible the floor finish is. The only place our RMP has come loose in 2 years was on the plastic drain covers on the window frames.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #8

Florida
Dave, As a data point, we have no roof AC.

Our rig has never been stored indoors, been in the weather since we bought it and your's is stored indoors..

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #9

Delaware
I don't think flex is at the root of what I see, Dave. A/C opening is reinforced with 3/8" plywood between inner and outer hull. This combined with Pullman roof and the additional strength of the bonding of inner and outer hulls produces a very stiff roof on the centerline. Outbd. of the raised Pullman section, I've been able to flex the roof with a lot of weight on one knee but that's not where the major patch of lost finish is located. The big patch is located forward of the A/C but not immediately contiguous and no loss whatsoever on either side of the air conditioner. It is true that the rash does not coincide with areas where the use silicone caulk was obvious to me.

Lot of variables including whether or not garaged or otherwise covered out of the weather. Time and the experience of users will tell.

jack
Old 04-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #10

Florida
Recoat

It glows anew.

Lest year we carried a small water bottle filled with Re Maxx. After washing I reapplied 3 coats to the roof where it had worn and a single coat to the area above the belly band. It looks great once again after 1-2 hours of work.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Would you characterize the coating's color change as "yellowing"?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #12

Florida
No it doesn't seem to be a yellowing. I believe the liquid is not perfectly clear like water.

If you create a drip, the hardened drip in minutes has a slightly grey look. To me this indicates the color of the material. The thicker the drip the more gray.

However to the my untrained eye with no pure white for reference my Scamp looks bright, white.

One reason the trailer looks so white after red maxxing is that it goes on very thin. To give the top half of our Scamp 2 coats, took less than a 1/2 small water bottle of red max.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #13

Delaware
I don't see a change in color.

jack
Old 06-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #14

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
Just cleaned my 72 Cloud with Bar Keepers friend spray on cleaner and then applied around 5 to 6 coats of Zep floor wax. I'm pretty happy with the results and I don't think my camper has been this shiny in 30 years. I attempted some before and after pictures ill try and attach to this post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4224343133.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	59892

Name:	image-1017803533.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	59893

Name:	image-301762003.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	59894

Name:	image-455636729.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	59895

Name:	image-4223980508.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	59896

Name:	image-2532318493.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	59897
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Wow!!!

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Headed to the store this week to get BKF and Zep. Does anyone put a coat of wax over the Zep? Or do the solvents in the wax soften or dissolve the Zep?
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Looks real nice....
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #18

Delaware
Kevin, I've been very satisfied with the ability of RMPro to shed dirt over the two years I've used it. Never occurred to me that I should add work by over-waxing as long as an occasional car wash kept the trailer looking good.

jack
Old 06-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #19

Florida
Red Max doesn't stick to wac and probably the other way around

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #20

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Red Max doesn't stick to wac and probably the other way around
Actually spray on wax works well on red max to finish off with that " killer shine".
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote