Refrigerator solution while on the road - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #15

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
New propane tanks have a valve in them to detect a surge of gas ( as might occur in an accident where a hose is severed ). Shuts down propane instantly.
You can even activate this valve by opening the tank too quickly.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #16
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I don't run my fridge on propane while travelling. It's not the propane that concerns me but the hydrogen used as part of the refrigerant. If the cooling system is going to fail, it is more likely to do so while bouncing down the road. The possibility of the cooling system rupturing, high pressure hydrogen gas being released and an open flame to ignite it is not a risk I'm interested in taking. Raz

Old 08-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
New propane tanks have a valve in them to detect a surge of gas ( as might occur in an accident where a hose is severed ). Shuts down propane instantly.
And what if all the shaking of the trailer loosens a gas line just enough, or creates a hairline crack, which allows a slower leak, and the trailer fills up with propane.. and the propane alarm that you were so smart to install sounds. but at 65 MPH you don't hear a thing.. UNTIL...

But I do run it on propane at times, I just try not to do it unless I really need to. I know that there is a risk. There is also a risk to eating food that got too warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
As for running the 'fridge on propane when traveling, the PO of our Casita told me he did it. But many say it is not safe, and I am inclined to think they're right (without any hard evidence)....
Without any hard evidence is the way most people study this issue. And thats why the debate goes on, and on, and on.....
Old 08-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #18

British Columbia
Clarification: I'm informed the valve is actually at the end of the hose that screws into the tank. More or less in the same place, effectively doing the same thing.

Most dangerous thing you can do is hook the trailer to the tow vehicle and turn the key.. <_<
Old 08-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #19

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
Ok, so how many of you close the valves on your propane tanks when travelling?
Old 08-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #20

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
GBaggs is right. Getting into the tow vehicle is the most dangerous thing you can do. Running on propane, not.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #21

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I've never traveled with my propane tank on...never will! (Unless it's an absolute oversight/mistake on my part). That's one danger I can avoid. I disklike propane so much, I went all electric. Now I only use my propane tank to burn my "Lil Red Campfire". EDIT: I do boondock once a year at a model airplane flyin where I burn propane in the daytime (wh & fridge) and a gen at night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Old 08-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #22

Tennessee
I've ran my Dometic fridge (1.9) on 12v with EVERY travel since I bought my 13' Scamp in 2010. I pull with a 4 cyl Nissan Frontier. NO problems with a dead battery at anytime.

(Why does this thread seem like dejavu?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
I thought it was pretty cool (as it were) to have a three-way 'fridge, but now I'm beginning to wonder what the point of having 12V capability is.

So when do you use the 12V?

/Mr Lynn
Old 08-13-2016, 08:51 PM   #23

British Columbia
Because new people join all the time.
Ever wonder how they get all those full propane tanks to the exchange centres? Or how they fill that huge propane tank at the filling station?
Ever wonder where that electricity comes from?
Old 08-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I've ran my Dometic fridge (1.9) on 12v with EVERY travel since I bought my 13' Scamp in 2010. I pull with a 4 cyl Nissan Frontier. NO problems with a dead battery at anytime.

(Why does this thread seem like dejavu?)

Your comment above is giving me a dejavu moment

As you well know due to your dejavu moment: that not everyone is as successful as yourself at running their fridge on 12V. Including myself who also tows with a newer Frontier with a full factory installed tow package.

The reasons for that were more than well explained on another recent thread which was actually titled "Battery Not Charging" no indication the topic was in fact the same old 12v fridge issue.

I have owned more than one 3 way fridge in the past that I was never very successful at running on 12V no matter what I was pulling the trailer with. Always landed at the campsite with a battery less than full which is not a good way to start out 4 days of dry camping.

Now I have had a 2 way that automatically switches its self over to propane - no need for me to go out and light anything I see no reason to bother with owning a 3 way.

As others have suggested if its a newer fridge and propane system, it is far safer to run while towing than it is to carry around a gas generator & the fuel cans needed to feed it, not to mention running it beside your trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #25

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I don't run my fridge on propane while travelling. It's not the propane that concerns me but the hydrogen used as part of the refrigerant. If the cooling system is going to fail, it is more likely to do so while bouncing down the road. The possibility of the cooling system rupturing, high pressure hydrogen gas being released and an open flame to ignite it is not a risk I'm interested in taking. Raz
You mean ammonia (NH3)? Hydrogen is not a refrigerant. Ammonia is not explosive.

I'd be more worried about the flame blowing out and raw propane (C3H8) filling the trailer. That is explosive.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"

Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass

Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern • WHRB-FM, 95.3 FM, Cambridge, MA • Streaming at WHRB.org
Mr Lynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:18 PM   #26

Tennessee
Welllll....if we could capture HALF of it created right here in the FGRV forums and put it in discharging bottles, we could start our own business and do away with propane completely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Ever wonder where that electricity comes from?
Old 08-13-2016, 10:20 PM   #27

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Or gas fumes from filling up at a gas station reaching the flame.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:55 PM   #28

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Ours stay closed until we're ready to use the propane.

5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator