Refrigerator solution while on the road - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-15-2016, 07:24 AM   #57

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I'll tell you what it says Glenn.... if you're out in the open and want to take a chance on blowing yourself up, so be it. But you're not going to do it in a tunnel and take everyone around with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I gather you are allowed to turn the tanks on again after exiting the tunnel. What does that say?

Old 08-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #58

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Should you run propane while on the road?
I love his statement that "you have a generator.." use it to run the fridge.. LOL.. I'll bet no more than 2% of the people with fiberglass trailers have a generator they can run on the road, and I suspect it is much less than 2%.

Also his statement about the fridge manufacture's claims of how long the fridge will stay cold when off gave me pause. Really? 6-8 hours with no more than 4 degree increase in temp? Reality for me is much different and more like two hours with a five degree increase, and then a long time to reverse the uptick in temp and get it going lower again. At least in summer.

But he is right about the fan inside the fridge, that helps.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #59

Name: Russ
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Angry Operating your fridge on propane while driving

One must question the inheret risks associated with operating your trailer fridge on propane while driving. Just plain stupid.

While some states, municipalities, etc...ban this practice, it should be regulated nationally.

....nothing like propane flowing through lines of your trailer, motorhome or otherwise during a collision, whether you're involved or it occurs directly in your vicinity.

While one may believe their LP system is maintained to the highest standard, it may not be the case for the person travelling on the highway next to you.

The fridge stays cold/frozen for hours without LP.....turn it off
Old 08-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #60

Tennessee
I think he mentioned "Motor Homes" when it comes to the gen.....

But I do have a question Gordy... I've never used a "fan" in my 1.9. One, I dont have the room...it's usually packed...lol. But I was wondering if it would even help in the 1.9 since it's so small. We've never had an issue...other than a little "ice" developing in some of the drinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I love his statement that "you have a generator.." use it to run the fridge.. LOL.. I'll bet no more than 2% of the people with fiberglass trailers have a generator they can run on the road, and I suspect it is much less than 2%.

Also his statement about the fridge manufacture's claims of how long the fridge will stay cold when off gave me pause. Really? 6-8 hours with no more than 4 degree increase in temp? Reality for me is much different and more like two hours with a five degree increase, and then a long time to reverse the uptick in temp and get it going lower again. At least in summer.

But he is right about the fan inside the fridge, that helps.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #61

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
I think he mentioned "Motor Homes" when it comes to the gen.....

But I do have a question Gordy... I've never used a "fan" in my 1.9. One, I dont have the room...it's usually packed...lol. But I was wondering if it would even help in the 1.9 since it's so small. We've never had an issue...other than a little "ice" developing in some of the drinks.
My understanding is that the fridge works BEST when packed nearly full but not so full, and in a way, that allows air to circulate freely around the cooling fins and food. (A nearly empty fridge will warm faster).

The fan helps the air circulate, esp. on the fins (not to be confused with fans sometimes used to move air over the coils on the OUTSIDE of the unit, esp with rigs that have the exhaust on the side instead of the roof).

The fan, and packing in a way that air can move, might help you keep things more evenly chilled, but sounds like yours in a non-issue.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #62

Tennessee
Trailer Life has some good videos. Speaking of how long it takes to heat up after shutting off, they do a live test here and you can see it. This looks like about a 4 cf fridge? I calculated 6 hrs and 9 deg. Alot different that 6-8 hours with 4 Deg! Depends on ambient temps obviously.

RV Driving with a Refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Old 08-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #63

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
I'll tell you what it says Glenn.... if you're out in the open and want to take a chance on blowing yourself up, so be it. But you're not going to do it in a tunnel and take everyone around with you!
Jim Bennett wrote to every province's Ministry of Transport to see if any had a regulation against running a fridge on propane, on the road. None had such a regulation.

You are more likely to die from food poisoning than from your trailer exploding because the fridge is running on propane.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #64

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
So let me get this straight.

You are carrying a gas filled motor such as that of your generator unprotected in the back of your truck along with plastic gas cans needed to fuel it also unprotected in the back of your truck?

Do you not think that is not also putting everyone in the tunnel at risk should someone slam into the bed of your truck?

Yes people need to turn off propane appliances when entering enclosed spaces - such as a ferry & only a FEW tunnels in N/A. We have a number of tunnels around the city some are fairly long and none require the propane to be turned off.

The issue is enclosed spaces, fires and inadequate ventilation - some tunnels are better ventilated than others and they have more/better emergency access points.

The BIG concern on the ferry is FIRE. Coming from the marine industry I can say first hand that a fire on a ship while at sea is not a good thing. So anything that can logistically be done to minimize the risk of fire or the fuelling of a fire is prohibited regardless of its actual risk level. It is also the reason one is not suppose to even start their car while the ferry is still moving.

If running an RV fridge on propane while traveling was truly a BIG safety issue and people were being put at risk or killed due to it. it would have been outlawed long ago . Yet it has not been. Your a smart guy, Want to guess why that might be?

The fact is that over the last 10 years or more an increasing number of large RV manufactures are only offering 2 way fridges in their trailers. The reason for that is newer fridges have been designed to run far more safely on propane than the 3 way fridges made 20 plus years ago. So with the ever increasing number of folks pulling trailers running propane fridges how come we have not heard about an increase in the number of trailers catching fire or blowing up due to it? Any guesses?

For safety reasons I choose never to run the old fridge in my old Scamp on propane while traveling either. But I do choose to run the brand new fridge in my current trailer on propane with little worry.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #65

Tennessee
You guys are fussing at me like I wrote the rules. I didnt. Regardless of statistics, we all know the old "argument" will NEVER die.

NOW, with that said, I did find an interesting article. I copied this excerpt about Texas. What I found MOST surprising is the rule on "LPG operated vehicles" (the very last line in red)!! Explain THAT to me? We do use propane forklifts here. AND, after this article is one on the difference between propane and LPG sheesh!! Here's the first article:

Texas
Size limitations: Height, 14'; Width, 8'6"; Trailer length, not stated'; Motorhome length, 45'; Combined length, 65'.
Required Equipment: Safety chain, breakaway switch required on trailers over 3,000 pounds, flares or reflective signs, brakes on trailers with unladen weight of 4500 pounds.
Triple towing is permitted if combined length does not exceed 65'. Passengers are permitted to ride in pickup camper only. Overnight parking is as posted in state rest areas with a 24 hour limit.
LP Gas is restricted on the Washburn Tunnel between Pasadena and Galena Park on the Houston Ship Channel. Maximum of two 7 1/2 gallon containers (30 pounds gas each) or one 10-gallon container (40 pounds of gas) of DOT (ICC) approved type, with shutoff valve at discharge opening. Valve must be closed when in tunnel. LP gas as vehicle fuel is prohibited.

PROPANE/LPG USES:

• LP and propane cannot be mixed in any appliance. If a gas stove requires propane in vapor form for operation, LP cannot be substituted. Likewise, a gas grill manufactured for LP cannot use propane vapor. Propane in its two different forms are not compatible.
I didnt realize this until this article!

Old 08-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #66

British Columbia
Sheesh! Texas allows passengers to ride in a pickup camper?
Wouldn't want to pick through the remains, looking for my kids, in the event of even a minor accident.
Anyway, if you buy a BBQ you have to specify LPG or propane. They are not the same.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #67

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Carol, the issue in the video that Darral posted was not about safety of normal use; it was about the hazard that flowing propane can present in the event of an untoward event: a road obstruction that damages a propane line, or a crash that breaks a line or joint. The fire-safety guy was pointing out that in such circumstances you increase your risk of fire and/or explosion, perhaps markedly so.

I rather doubt that even the most recent propane appliances and line routing have completely obviated this risk. So unless you are entirely confident your camper will never be involved an accident, it makes sense to me to eliminate that risk, especially since it's one you don't need to take.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #68

British Columbia
Towing a trailer is inherently more dangerous than not towing. I'd just stay home.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #69

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
refrigerator

A friend of my was towing his TADA trailer recently purchased that had been sitting on a dealer lot for a couple of years. On his way out to Colorado from St. Louis he blew out his driver side trailer tire while traveling. The tire came completely apart............exploded through his wheel well and destroyed much of the cabinetry inside near that well. The destruction include the gas lines located in that spot.

Fortunately for him he was traveling with the tanks turned off. No disaster but he was faced with a big repair bill.

Something to think about
Old 08-15-2016, 10:58 AM   #70

Tennessee
Thanks Swenny (Tim) for that post. None of us thinks things like this can happen to US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swenny View Post
A friend of my was towing his TADA trailer recently purchased that had been sitting on a dealer lot for a couple of years. On his way out to Colorado from St. Louis he blew out his driver side trailer tire while traveling. The tire came completely apart............exploded through his wheel well and destroyed much of the cabinetry inside near that well. The destruction include the gas lines located in that spot.

Fortunately for him he was traveling with the tanks turned off. No disaster but he was faced with a big repair bill.

Something to think about

Tags
refrigerator