Removed Fiamma Awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
As I've posted elsewhere (to the chagrin of resident Fiamma shills), I've examined my oft-damaged Fiamma awning and have concluded that I can repair it. But to do it right I'm going to have to remove it from my Casita.

Has anyone here ever removed their Fiamma awning for maintenance? Was it a lot of trouble? How much does the unit weigh? From looking at the awning it doesn't look like it would be difficult to remove--just take out three bolts and slide it off. (Unless there are some unseen glitches, which would not surprise me.)

My wife just wants me to get rid of it and have another brand installed, but I'm slightly more tolerant (and tight-fisted) than she is. So I'm willing to give one more try to fixing this poorly designed awning.

Also, is there a good awning tape available to repair the tears the awning has suffered during our two rain-caused collapses?
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Read Here

It is not for the faint of heart and can be very dangerous.. really.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The Fiamma doesn't have a spring like yours Gina. He'll be fine removing it. I can't help with the dismantle Bob as I had my brackets made. But using the brackets from Dometic (Horizon/Fiamma) there is a screw on the bottom of the bracket that on the back of the awning. That has to be removed. Then the entire awning, brackets (on the awning) and all "should" tip up from the bottom up and lift off. It's heavy. It took two of us, one on each end to lift the awning up to the brackets on my Scamp... I wouldn't want to do it by myself! It would be awkward to handle too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
The Fiamma doesn't have a spring like yours Gina. He'll be fine removing it. I can't help with the dismantle Bob as I had my brackets made. But using the brackets from Dometic (Horizon/Fiamma) there is a screw on the bottom of the bracket that on the back of the awning. That has to be removed. Then the entire awning, brackets (on the awning) and all "should" tip up from the bottom up and lift off. It's heavy. It took two of us, one on each end to lift the awning up to the brackets on my Scamp... I wouldn't want to do it by myself! It would be awkward to handle too.
Mine seems to have just three bolts holding it onto the brackets (installed by Casita). I can remove those easily enough with a socket wrench.

So it wasn't a tremendous amount of trouble to remove?

Heck...I may just take it in to the very good folk at Terrell Camping Center and have them fix it. They've always done good work and are very reasonable.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Mine seems to have just three bolts holding it onto the brackets (installed by Casita). I can remove those easily enough with a socket wrench.

So it wasn't a tremendous amount of trouble to remove?

Heck...I may just take it in to the very good folk at Terrell Camping Center and have them fix it. They've always done good work and are very reasonable.
Well , it wasn't horrible to put on... other than drilling 12 holes in the roof! I first mounted the brackets to the roof, then the flat brackets on the back of the awning, lifted the awning up to the roof brackets (tipped it from the top down to lock it on the roof brackets), then used one screw (bolt?) in each of the roof brackets that cinched the awning brackets to the roof brackets.

Clear as mud?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
here is a repair kit on eBay.

OK, I guess with that style you might pinch a finger :-P

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
I had my awning off my Casita. I DO remember just a few screws and sliding the awning case completely to the front to remove from the 3 brackets. It seemed really easy but two hands just aren't enough but don't remember it being heavy but just clumsy. I was able to easily carry it but just hard to align by myself. My case got bent when a gust of wind off the lake 30 feet in front of us came up unexpectantly and sent the awning completely up and nearly laying on the A/C on the roof. It is not perfect after I re- bent everything put works fine and isn't noticeable unless you look. Didn't justify a new one. I make sure it's tied down now!!!
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote