Old 02-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

Name: Terry
Trailer: Tundra 31RL
Florida
Unhappy Removing and replacing RV Graphics

I have a 2008 Tundra 31LR. The graphics are peeling slowly and looking like heck! I don't want the builder's same graphics that will be gone in two years! We like the camper and plan to keep it for awhile. I have used a hair dryer to heat and remove some of them, but the paste stays behind on some. Goo-be-gone seems to work, but it appears to be aceotate which I may use. Any suggestions for quicker removal?

ALSO, is there any suggestions as to where to get new "GOOD" graphics that will stay on better. Talking to a local shop they indicated that the 3M film now has UV protection. I've seen several companies on the internet, but would prefer past experience from others. Thanks in advance for comments.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hi Terry in Pensacola, welcome to FiberglassRV. I'm not familiar with a Tundra 31LR... the only Tundra I'm know about is a truck Althought I'm not all knowing, I'm going to assume your trailer is not a molded fiberglass trailer... like all the ones listed on the home page?

Hopefully someone can give you a tip about decals, but I'm also going to mention everything else about your trailer may better be answered at a forum that specializes in your type/brand like:

IRV2.com
and
the Open Road Forums at RV.net

Best of luck

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
your local autobody shop supplier has spray on decal remover designed for this purpose.

as to new designs, ever town has a vinal graffics shop i think. they computer generate and cut anything you want in just about any color .

its a peel and stick graffics vinal that made just for this purpose.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #4

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
....Vinyl....
Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
John Warren has best answer. I personally have a vinyl machine cutter. You need heavier grade vinyl to do graphics that are made for vehicles. It is not the same vinyl for wall-wordings (I have that vinyl for wall wording). Vinyl graphics on vehicle depends. Higher quality last about 7 years. Standard is about 5 to 7 years. Those are average life. Yes the 3M with UV protection is great deal. My machine is a cutter that only cuts one color. Not a plotter that prints vinyl. I have to buy special tools for that same machine to make colorful graphics. Although I can do 2 or more colors and use overlap method like some you have seen on the big stick built RVs have on.

Then there is vehicle wrap.. That is different. That last 7 to 10 years really wrap your vehicle. You may have seen them out there. Usually found on commerical vehicles. Here there is a Subway Hummer vehicle shown as an example.

To get more information, websites or go to your town chamber of commerce show since they usually are at the show. Vehicle wrap are most expensive. Usually around 5000 dollars. simple vinyl graphics, depends. If you are going to do it yourself, saves about 200 dollars rather than having someone to put it on for you. The graphic itself has a range of prices depends on size, vinyl, and how complicated you want it to be. Custom usually cost more than basic stripes.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #6

Name: Carol
Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYEggerstobe View Post
Vinyl graphics on vehicle depends. Higher quality last about 7 years. Standard is about 5 to 7 years. Those are average life. Yes the 3M with UV protection is great deal.
Really only 7 year life cycle on graphics? I'm wondering what the background is for that number? Does it have to do with what if any protective products such as wax etc are put on them? Asking as the graphics on my 20 year old Scamp have not peeled at all.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Really only 7 year life cycle on graphics? I'm wondering what the background is for that number? Does it have to do with what if any protective products such as wax etc are put on them? Asking as the graphics on my 20 year old Scamp have not peeled at all.
My 1998 van has silver graphics that appear to have been installed by the company that did the travel van conversion. 14 years later they are still in great shape. Did they do something special?