removing silicone - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #1

Name: RJ
Trailer: Liberty
Michigan
removing silicone

What is the best method for removing silicone from my trailer? It seems the prior owner really liked the stuff Also does anyone have any experience using the Dicor RV fiberglass roof coating products?
mushing4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushing4ever View Post
What is the best method for removing silicone from my trailer? It seems the prior owner really liked the stuff Also does anyone have any experience using the Dicor RV fiberglass roof coating products?
Silicone, I HATE that stuff. Devils Bane!!! I'm going to let others talk about what they've done to remove it. I've used a non-serrated knife and my thumbnails. There are better implements to use I'm sure. Just don't use anything metal, it can score the gelcoat.

What are you looking to use the Dicor RV fiberglass roof coating product on? Your Liberty shouldn't need that kind of roof coating.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:43 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Silicone softens when you brush on a little gasoline. I used a toothbrush and a small cup with about an ounce of gasoline. A plastic scraper and several applications will get all the silicone off, then a little acetone or MEK will glean off the gasoline residue.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:09 PM   #4

Name: RJ
Trailer: Liberty
Michigan
I was thinking of coating the roof with the dicor coating because there are alot of hairline cracks all across the roof, and I thought it would help strengthen the roof. Should I not use anything up there?
mushing4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #5

Name: kevin
Trailer: Miti-Lite
Washington
INSTALLBAY P20005 - Kent Spray Products - ACRYSOL 1 QT (INSTALLBAYP20005 ) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FMS48XU..._O2bzxbJRQ70KZ

And

CRL Chisel Tip Windshield Stick Setting Tool - Pack of 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M52YT2..._17bzxbBER2TMG

This is what I have used for years. Wear gloves and goggles. Use clean white towels. Can keep sticks sharp on 220 sandpaper. Fingernails always great for that last little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #6

Name: kevin
Trailer: Miti-Lite
Washington
I would steer clear of coating the roof. The surface cracks in gelcoat are most likely superficial unless it is a deep crack caused by impact. Coatings often make more problems in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #7

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
To remove silicone compound, mineral spirits and a plastic putty knife work pretty darn well. You can wrap the end of the plastic putty knife in a rag, dip it in the mineral spirits, and scrape away without hurting your fiberglass.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I scraped as much as I could using a plastic scraper ("spudger"), then I used some silicone remover I found at my local hardware store called Silicone-Be-Gone, made by DAP.
Home Hardware - 90mL Silicone Seal Remover

It works slowly, you have to give it at least an hour to react (2 hours preferable) and it will turn the silicone into some goo that is much easier to remove, still with a plastic scraper. You may have to put another coat or two, and when the leftover is very thin you can simply wipe it off with a rag. The stuff will not affect the gel coat, and it saved me A LOT of work when I resealed my trailer windows.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #9

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
If you are trying to repair leaks that are already there, you might try using a pressure washer. Wet one more time shouldn't matter.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Pressure washers are really hard on snap caps and caulking. Those things that may last many more years can be blasted off if you're not careful.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin