Removing wet Dog Odor? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
Removing wet Dog Odor?

Anybody had good luck with a deodorizer of some kind? We purchased a Casita that has been sitting for 4 years closed up. It kinda smells like a dog odor. Its dirty and we have not started cleaning it yet. Its outside with all the windows open airing out. Just looking for some ideas.

We will be pulling the floor carpet for a laminate floor but wondering how to freshing the wall carpet? Thanks!!
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
They start smelling better as soon as you start cleaning, when you get done spray with Febreze.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #3

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
They start smelling better as soon as you start cleaning, when you get done spray with Febreze.
That is what I was hoping to hear. Can hardly wait to get started on it. Just need some time. Thanks
Old 06-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #4

Name: nancy
Trailer: 1985 Scamp
Washington
iplumb...If the airing out doesn't work, try this...but first the story.
I have a client who's dog got hit by a skunk while she was at work. Her dog then came back in the house by way of the dog door...and did what dogs do....rolled on the rug, slept on her bed, jumped on her sofa, and walked through the entire house. WHEW!

What she did was get those little bombs that you use if you have a fire in your house. You set them off just like you would a bug bomb. She got it at the local industrial cleaning store...and it worked like a charm!

We also used the same type of odor bombs in a house we bought. It had been a rental and people had been smoking in there. It worked great.

Hope that helps...nancy
nancy and steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:13 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
16 oz bottle hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1-2 oz liquid dish detergent
[I dont measure exactly but just pour it on]

This breaks down the skunk chemicals and the soap then washes the smell away. Rub the ingerdients into the dogs coat and wait a few minutes before rinsing.

Our previous JR got skunked several times and this recipie took about 98% of the oder away so that we could let hm back into the house. We keep the ingreients on the laundry room shelf for emergiencies.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Casita have carpet on the walls, I'd clean the carpet with an upholstery cleaner. Your dirt is cleaner than their dirt
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
16 oz bottle hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1-2 oz liquid dish detergent
[I dont measure exactly but just pour it on]

This breaks down the skunk chemicals and the soap then washes the smell away. Rub the ingerdients into the dogs coat and wait a few minutes before rinsing.

Our previous JR got skunked several times and this recipie took about 98% of the oder away so that we could let hm back into the house. We keep the ingreients on the laundry room shelf for emergiencies.
This works great for Skunks. We used it twice on our Boxer before she wides up.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
This works great for Skunks. We used it twice on our Boxer before she wides up.
I also keep the same ingredients handy as a neighbor swears by this remedy.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #9

Trailer: (fiberglass)
what's that smell

After you clean it good. get some oil of wintergreen and put it on some cottonballs and just put a few around , leave it in the camper. this will get rid of any musty, mildewy,and alot of smells that may be there. it works. take care

A
Quote:
Anybody had good luck with a deodorizer of some kind? We purchased a Casita that has been sitting for 4 years closed up. It kinda smells like a dog odor. Its dirty and we have not started cleaning it yet. Its outside with all the windows open airing out. Just looking for some ideas.

We will be pulling the floor carpet for a laminate floor but wondering how to freshing the wall carpet? Thanks!!
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #10

Michigan
Where would one get wintergreen oil? I love wintergreen but my wife may think it smells like chew. Thanks for the idea!
Old 06-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #11

Indiana
I like Wintergreen chew.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #12

Trailer: (fiberglass)
you can get oil of wintergreen online it's a bit pricey but it goes a long way. . Where i live they have it at the health food store. Any place that sells esential oils . most places like that have it. if you can't find it let me know i will mail you some. thanks

Quote:
Where would one get wintergreen oil? I love wintergreen but my wife may think it smells like chew. Thanks for the idea!
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
My trillium had been sitting for a few years before I got it too. It was a bit musty but not too bad. I was able to deal with it by opening an odour neutralizer. Walmart has the 'Renuzit' brand on sale this week for $.99. They have a gel in them and you just open them a bit and the stuff evaporates. I'm sure it won't solve a bad problem but has worked wonders in my trailer. I'm a mountain hiker and I can get a bit ripe after a day of hot climbing. These are life savers for me...
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:26 AM   #14

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
My trillium had been sitting for a few years before I got it too. It was a bit musty but not too bad. I was able to deal with it by opening an odour neutralizer. Walmart has the 'Renuzit' brand on sale this week for $.99. They have a gel in them and you just open them a bit and the stuff evaporates. I'm sure it won't solve a bad problem but has worked wonders in my trailer. I'm a mountain hiker and I can get a bit ripe after a day of hot climbing. These are life savers for me...
Barrie
Good idea! Thanks anything will help. Day # 3 sitting outside has really opened helped already.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #15

Name: Alan
Trailer: Triple E Surf Side
Ontario
Another thing is an ozone generator, used by used car lots to de-stink used cars that have been smoked in and worse. Thorough cleaning first then leave this machine plugged in overnight and it smell really fresh.

Alan
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #16

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P. View Post
Another thing is an ozone generator, used by used car lots to de-stink used cars that have been smoked in and worse. Thorough cleaning first then leave this machine plugged in overnight and it smell really fresh.

Alan
Thanks Alan. I actually have access to a ozone generator for free, but was worried what it might do to the rubber and plastics in the trailer? I'm a plumber and one of the restoration co I work with will let me barrow one.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Rub the ingerdients into the dogs coat and wait a few minutes before rinsing.
We travel with a womens personal hygiene product, e.g. "Summer's Eve". It is premixed in a small package, has it's own nozzle to direct flow. We also carry latex and nitril gloves at all times in our vehicles (helpful for rubbing in).

Wet the affected areas, rub it in and let it set for a couple of minutes, then rinse. Repeat if necessary. We keep one package on hand and there are a # of 24 hr drug stores in close proximity.

Our late pup, miss Molly and our neighbours Doby never did learn to leave skunks alone because they look so much like cats. The above worked quite well a number of times. We got the idea off a dog forum a while back.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Talking

OK I've watched this thread and bit my tongue several times.
To get rid of the wet dog smell in your trailer, first remove the wet dog. Open all the windows and vents.
Give the dog a nice bath with soap and water. Dry well and the wet dog smell should be gone.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #19

Indiana
That's a good idea.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #20

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Get rid of the wet dog?