Repairing cracks in green fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #1

Name: Madge
Trailer: Looking for a Trillium
Ontario
Repairing cracks in green fiberglass

My husband and I are considering buying this Trillium (photo: Roulottes Trillium légère comme boler) but are slightly concerned about the crack in the fiberglass around the fridge, covered by duct tape in this photo. Can anyone tell me if this is easily fixed, or would there always be an ugly seam there? Since it is green fiberglass, I'm guessing it will be harder to disguise? Thanks in advance for your help!
MadgeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Nice rig
Click image for larger version

Name:	8726b5f_20.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	43616
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Madge and welcome to the forum. I am guessing that the refrigerator is newer than the trailer. When the original refrigerator dies there is no current replacement that fits in the hole so owners come up with some way to make a current model fit. Most folks build some sort of wooden frame to fill the gap and seal the new fridge to prevent exhaust entering the living space. Have to wonder why it is cracked? Also there appears to be duct tape by the upper cabinets? Why is that there? I am sure any crack in the gel coat can be repaired and color matched but I suspect it would be costly. Good luck, Raz

An after thought: I bet they cut the hole too large and had to duct tape some of the fiberglass back in to seal in the new fridge.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #4

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Welcome to FG, it is not that hard to fix either one of those just take a little time, but you might get a deal on it this way.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
You're correct about the green color making it harder to disquise a repair.

Pros are quite good at doing it but they're also quite pricey.

Stores that sell fiberglassing supplies sell colored gel coats and it's possible to get one, perhaps even from the manufacturer, of the correct shade.

Repairing fiberglass chips etc. is covered in other posts but the bottom line is that it's possible to fill or repair the damaged surface and have it look pretty good. Sometimes, if care is taken to wet sand, wax, and buff you have to look pretty hard to see the repaired area.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
HI Madge, welcome to FiberglassRV we're glad you're here! What a repair boils down to, is what you're willing to accept. If the price is within your budget, are you willing to accept something less that perfect? If you think you will never look beyond a repair (of any kind) maybe it would be best to pass. Then too, when was the last time you saw a molded lightweight trailer for sale that was within your budget and (willing) driving distance. Remember, you are buying a CAMPER... not the Hope Diamond. Perhaps building a frame around the fridge to cover it's imperfection would work for you. If you're expecting something to look perfect... it may cost you more than you want to pay. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
It does appear that they had to remove a section of the cabinet and then just 'taped' it back into place around the fridge. You can repair the seam to a smooth finish, eand then skin over the area around the fridge with a different finish or paint color that is complementary to your interior. Nice trailer. I like trilliums
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
I like Donna's answer.

I don't know about where you live, but down here the paint store I use will color match and put it in a rattle-can (spray bomb, spray can). Fiberglassing is not hard to do and in my opinion, if you buy an older FGRV, you should learn aout it. You can save a LOTS of money doing it yourself.
On the other hand, you could frame it in with wood (that's what I "wood" do). You can stain the wood the same as your doors. It would look great - IMHO.

Nice Trillium! Go for it!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have been up on my own roof all day fiberglassing in cracks, holes and dumb boo boos from over the years.

Its not hard, it is a bit messy and most certainly time consuming. But.. IT"S NOT HARD. Like any project, it's all in the prep.

You can buy fiberglass resin and cloth if you want to go that way. All the resins have easy to follow instructions. You just need to make sure you can do it in an uninterrupted time. Once you start mixing it and working with it, you only have a few minutes per batch to work. No mixing , going to lunch and coming back later.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
I like Donna's answer.

I don't know about where you live, but down here the paint store I use will color match and put it in a rattle-can (spray bomb, spray can). Fiberglassing is not hard to do and in my opinion, if you buy an older FGRV, you should learn aout it. You can save a LOTS of money doing it yourself.
On the other hand, you could frame it in with wood (that's what I "wood" do). You can stain the wood the same as your doors. It would look great - IMHO.

Nice Trillium! Go for it!
yup there you go!

old age, wisdom, and sneakiness, will beat youthfull enthusiasm every time.<_<
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
..........down here the paint store I use will color match and put it in a rattle-can (spray bomb, spray can). ..............
This is a great tip. What kind of a paint store is it - i.e. how would I find a similar one near me? (Auto paint, professional/ business store, big box???)
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
I would just let my fingers do the walking. First call the local paint stores -not a big box. Then, if they can't help, call a hardware store. If someone says no, I always ask do they know who does what I'm looking for. I like the phone betterer than using my gas to find stuff.
In the south, the laws are still quite relaxed on paint products. Other parts of the country have quite a bit of "beauracratic (sp) intervention". So sad....
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #13

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Trim could B the answer.
Wood or metal
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #14

Name: Madge
Trailer: Looking for a Trillium
Ontario
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I think the repair would bug me, as aesthetics are one of the reasons I like the Trilliums and Bolers, etc., but that's just me.
MadgeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
This is a great tip. What kind of a paint store is it - i.e. how would I find a similar one near me? (Auto paint, professional/ business store, big box???)
We have 2 locally... a Sherwin Williams Auto Paint store (Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes - Automotive Paints) , and a local auto paint shop... they were nearly the same price but I found the local guys to be more helpful. So I went with the local shop, and ironically ran into 2 guys I know who do body work coming in... now I know where the body shop guys get their supplies. So start there and ask around if google doesn't find you any answers.

DO note that if you have a big job, buying the hardener/color, etc separately is a much cheaper way. But, if you need 1 can of a specific color match (@$15-20/can) - then it's a good option.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
We have 2 locally... a Sherwin Williams Auto Paint store (Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes - Automotive Paints) , and a local auto paint shop... they were nearly the same price but I found the local guys to be more helpful. So I went with the local shop, and ironically ran into 2 guys I know who do body work coming in... now I know where the body shop guys get their supplies. So start there and ask around if google doesn't find you any answers.

DO note that if you have a big job, buying the hardener/color, etc separately is a much cheaper way. But, if you need 1 can of a specific color match (@$15-20/can) - then it's a good option.

Thanks. This is a great resource for a small, but color specific job.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium