Repairing My Water Leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2009, 06:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
So on my last camping trip, I discovered I had a water leak when I turned on the water pump and water just came running out of my cupboard! My bad, I didn't check the system before I headed out on the trip... Live and learn, right?
I think that I didn't completely drain my freshwater system before putting the trailer into storage last winter. I'm guessing the water froze and burst the pipe. It's just a bit ironic that the section of pipe that burst was inside the trailer, when a large part of the system is outside the trailer, lower than the burst portion gravity-wise, and not insulated...
Anyway, so I survived the weekend using bottled water, and now it was time to make my repairs. After all, I want everything working for the Lake Casitas Rally, right?
The repair really wasn't complicated, a little hacksawing, a couple of trips to Home Depot, and less than $20 in parts. I did learn a few things too:
1. My Compact II's plumbing is C-PVC piping. Apparently this is able to handle higher temp water than normal PVC. Which seems interesting considering my trailer has no hot water heater. Maybe this was just standard for the Hunter siblings, since a hot water heater was an option?
2. The plumbing is super simple!
3. Just for good measure, I bought some extra fittings, pipe, and glue to have on board, just in case.
Granted, the water system is 35+ yrs old, and it all looks pretty original, and this is only the second repair I've have to make since I've had the rig. Not bad huh?
I'll post some pics shortly, been so long since I've posted, I have to review the procedure! hehe

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Okay, I think I figured out the pics finally, so here are my plumbing project pics.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
P8240003.jpg  
Old 08-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #3

I see now why people often post just one or two pics at a time, they're too big! LOL
Joe

FYI, the repaired system tests out fine, no leaks! YAY! And the spare pipe, fittings and glue are tucked away in the trailer for the next time they're needed!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:22 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Hi Joe,
Funny, my trailer has flexible reinforced 1/2" i.d. TUBING. Not the hard pvc pipes. But mine could have been re-done at some point. Mine has a Shurflo water pump; does yours? Shurflo says to use the flexible reinforced tubing.

You can shrink the pix to fit more on your posts. Google "resize your photos" and it shows how to shrink.

Best,
Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
You can shrink the pix to fit more on your posts. Google "resize your photos" and it shows how to shrink.
Or, you can try this from our tutorials: Resize Picture Help Using "Shrink Pictures" site
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote