Replacement Rivet Caps/Washers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Replacement Rivet Caps/Washers

Hi all.
I will be replacing all of my rivet caps in the next couple of weeks and I have a couple of questions.
Firstly, I have noticed in the Parts section of the Scamp website that it appears the only caps they have are the "large" ones, whether purchased individually or in a set for a 19 footer. Have I missed something? I would also like to replace the small caps (which really need replacing more than the large ones) which go over the curtain rod rivets, as well. If I am correct and Scamp doesn't offer small cap replacements, does anyone know where I could get them?
Additionally, I am wondering if I should order the washers as well. The caps are generally in good shape and I only want to replace them to stay ahead of routine maintenance. I am wondering if removing a cap can lead to damaging the washers (which would then need to be replaced) or if removing the caps has little to no effect on the washers in most circumstances.
I am planning on calling Scamp, but I thought I'd check in here first.
Thanks for your help!
Peter S. in Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Peter, I don't know the sizing for the small caps, but you might check here for what you need: 12/12 Snap-Caps - for #10, #12 & 1/4" screws | Pro-Dec
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Our 2000 Scamp 16 Dlx used skews under the caps, for all the overhead cabinets.
After many years, as the caps got brittle and fell apart, I ordered the caps and washers from Scamp. Many of the screws were loose, so I removed them, one at a time, cleaned up the area, applied a dab of silicone calk, and installed the new washers and caps.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Many of the screws were loose, so I removed them, one at a time, cleaned up the area, applied a dab of silicone calk, and installed the new washers and caps.
I'm so very sorry.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Just order from Pro-Dec., #12 large for 3/16 pop rivets and screws in the DLX. and #8 small for curtain rod holders and smaller apps. I think Scamp now just uses big caps for everything. IF you go from small to big you will have to replace the bases. I would order a few extra bases of each in case you find some bad ones or feel you need to replace some rivets.
Eddie
You can use Lexel under the new bases. Lowes or Amazon carries the 5 oz. tube, good for using small amounts in tight spaces. For clear Lowes is 1/2 the cost of Amazon
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
caps

when those caps go usually you lose the bases. you have been given good information when I replace a cap its time to replace the base too.

I cut the rivet loose push it out and use a flat washer both sides and a s/s screw.

every snaps together then you can seal with whatever you want.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #7

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Chrome Snap Caps

From a Canadian source:

https://www.jtsoutdoorfabrics.com/Sn...e_p_15440.html

And, as Donna says, no silicone!
Old 03-20-2018, 01:47 PM   #8

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I ordered the kit from Scamp that had both sizes
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I would tend to disagree, Bob. I did mine last spring, and the bases were fine, except for a couple where the caps had previously failed, leaving the bases exposed to the sun. They were 8 years old, and about 3 years past due in our climate.

As long as the base doesn't crack when you change the cap, I would leave it alone. This is a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If the base is broken and you don't want to reset the rivet, you can split the new base and slide it under the rivet head. A dab of (non-silicone) caulk, a new cap, and you're good to go for another 5 years or so.

When I ordered mine from Scamp (fall 2016), they only stocked the larger size. I heard later that Scamp was again stocking the smaller size. Charles (or anyone who has ordered more recently), can you confirm that?

I bought small ones from another supplier and they didn't quite fit the old bases. For now I have larger caps over the small bases, held on with a dab of adhesive caulk.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #10

Missouri
jon your rig a 2008 mine is a 1995 mine after being put on and back on finally wont stick anymore. when it get to looking either the retainer is gone or it wont hold any longer they seem to lose their holding ability thus the removal I don't like doing it but it has to be done.

my solution has been get the side cutters out cut the rivet and do the total replacement.

I have read some amazing total replacement time stories on here with a helper!

bob
Old 03-21-2018, 06:38 AM   #11

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I got mine two years ago and it came with both sizes. The shipping was high as I remember.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:01 AM   #12

Missouri
it seems I have read those same stories Charles I think if you ask when placing your order you can chose a cheaper method of shipping!

makes no sense why they are so high!

bob
Old 03-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
jon your rig a 2008 mine is a 1995 mine after being put on and back on finally wont stick anymore. when it get to looking either the retainer is gone or it wont hold any longer they seem to lose their holding ability thus the removal...
Certainly if they no longer hold the cap on tight, you should replace the bases. I'd consider that "broken."

You seemed to be suggesting the bases have to be replaced every time you replace the caps as a matter of course. That's not necessary.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #14

Missouri
jon those retairners finally lose the fact they are retainers you can tell when you remove the cap if this is happening or the caps finally fall off for the last time.

there is a point when glueing the cover on just wont do the job any longer. lets see our rig is now 23 years old been outside sun, snow, cold all that time about time they gave up.

I have read here where some people have just gave up and replaced them all at the same time. my energy leval isn't up to that now so I just sort of hit and miss you know glue sometimes other times get serious with them do the cutting of the rivet new washers retainers screws nut the whole bit.

bob
Old 03-22-2018, 08:14 AM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Called and ordered

Thanks to everyone who posted here. The information was useful.
I went ahead and called Scamp yesterday and ordered. They do still have small caps and washers in limited supply. On all newer campers they now use large caps for all rivets -- including curtain rods.
Bottom line is I was able to order exactly what I needed as far as the sizes go. But this may not be the case for anyone needing the smaller ones for too much longer as they run through what remaining supply of smaller caps and washers they have.
Peter S. in Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Good to know. I think it may be time for an order. I'm planning to put in the new door seal and replace some of the yellowing C-channel trim inside... Always good to order a bunch of stuff at once, so the shipping is less painful!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #17

Missouri
rumor

jon rumor I heard you can request costs of shipping of 2 methods they use?

bob

Tags
scamp