Replacement Trillium fridge and furncae? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 73 Trillium 13 ft / Toyota Landcrusier HDJ81
Replacement Trillium fridge and furncae?

Do they make a fridge and furnace that will fit into the small depth of the Trillium cabinet. I believe my clearances are 19"s and everything I've looked at is over 20"s.
E Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We have one of the California made Trilliums wiith a Dometic RM2193 fridge. It's only 1.9 cu.ft. which some find too small. It works well for us. Our furnace is under the rear seat with a side vent set in the diagonal section. We were told our trailer was made from the original molds, so the sizes should be the same as yours. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #3

I looked at the 2193 as it is the suggested replacement for the discontinued dometic. The specs are 21 x 17 3/4 x 21 1/2, 21 1/2 inches being the depth. I was thinking I could build out the front of the cabinet a few inches to fit it.

My Trillium originally came with an ice box. My measurement across the cook top from the back splash to the edge of the counter is only 18"s. The old dometic was installed poorly and pushed against the lower exterior access door and it only had a depth of 17 1/2 inches. I would like to install the new one lower, have more room for air movement and fit a drawer above.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Dyck View Post
I was thinking I could build out the front of the cabinet a few inches to fit it.
I have seen that is what most people do...
The Little Joe factory does it to fit a refrigerator into a space that was originally designed for an ice box.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
I looked at the 2193 as it is the suggested replacement for the discontinued dometic. The specs are 21 x 17 3/4 x 21 1/2, 21 1/2 inches being the depth. I was thinking I could build out the front of the cabinet a few inches to fit it.

My Trillium originally came with an ice box. My measurement across the cook top from the back splash to the edge of the counter is only 18"s. The old dometic was installed poorly and pushed against the lower exterior access door and it only had a depth of 17 1/2 inches. I would like to install the new one lower, have more room for air movement and fit a drawer above.
That's just what I did in my Boler. I used some 1x3 maple ripped to the minimum width I could use and extended the opening out a bit. I let the extension run up to countertop height and added a lip to the shelf above the fridge creating a useful little niche to store things. Since I was adding a new countertop anyway I extended it out to cover the top.

This may not be a factor in the Trillium since it has a flatter side profile than the Boler but I found I could gain an extra inch of depth by lifting the fridge up a few inches. I then added a drawer under the fridge to make use of that space.

Russ
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4398.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	35085
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #6

That looks good!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
I love the drawer! My first inside project when I get our Trillium 4500 from the back yard into the garage this weekend (I hope) is to raise the fridge. I don't understand why the Trillium fridge is so close to the floor that anything, even a thick carpet, gets in the way of the door opening. Our old Boler had a raised fridge which was much better when camping. (I asked Tom Young why the new Trilliums have the same design, and he told me that they do it because they now use a much larger fridge and need the space, a reasonable answer).

I was thinking that I would use the cut out fiberglass piece removed above the fridge to fill in under it, but the drawer is a great idea that had not occurred to me. I will give it some serious thought.

Thanks,
Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #8

From everything I've read about absorption fridges mounting it lower will give you more height behind the fridge for the hot air to rise and circulate although adding a 12volt fan might do the same thing. I like the idea of having a cutlery/utensil drawer above.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
From everything I've read about absorption fridges mounting it lower will give you more height behind the fridge for the hot air to rise and circulate although adding a 12volt fan might do the same thing. I like the idea of having a cutlery/utensil drawer above.

I'm with you on having a cutlery drawer. That would be nice. For me that was outweighed by getting an extra inch of depth in the cabinet so that the fridge wouldn't have to protrude as much.

As far as the air circulation I'm really satisfied with the performance. I was able to get my upper vent placed above the belly band which is above the top of the fridge. I have a board behind the cooktop at about a 45 degree angle deflecting the air up and out the top vent. I was still concerned about the performance so I also added a 12v fan in there but haven't needed to use it yet. I was really careful to keep everything behind the fridge as tight as possible to force all the airflow through the fins on the absorbtion system.

Russ

This is a lousy picture but it shows the fridge vents.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4396.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	35112
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #10

Quote:
I was able to get my upper vent placed above the belly band which is above the top of the fridge. I have a board behind the cooktop at about a 45 degree angle deflecting the air up and out the top vent.
Right on, you can't do that on a Trillium. The belly band is the height of the counter top and there's no clearance between the back splash and the shell.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I went out and measured the kitchen counter in our Trillium and it turns out to be over 25 inches deep which explains why the RM2193 fit in ours. Obviously not all the molds on the new Trilliums are original. Here are some pictures of the furnace install. Hope they are of help, Raz
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace from side.jpg   Furnace from the top.jpg  

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 07:50 PM   #12

Name: jagbor
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Raz re furnace re-location to cubby for water tank

Hi! Just saw some posted pics of your furnace re-location and have a few questions:
1/ what model furnace? How does it work for keeping u warm?
2/ the little white vent? Model #?
3/ for the vent to the outside, did u just block this or did u re-route a line to it so that it vents outside too?

We have a 1973 Trillium 1300 and the PO removed the furnace and added 2 cupboard doors where it was located so we use it to store pots/pans.

Thanks for any help!
JuliusB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, trillium