Replacing ~9" roof vent in Boler - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #29

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
When I replaced the vent I just cut the new hole making the opening as close to the centerof the roof as I could. I did not add any extra support inside or outside. The flange around the vent is only about 6" away from raised area sides and since the vent isn't adding a lot of weight I didn't feel it was necessary. I don't think that the larger vent sticks up any higher than the old one did. I put a set of 9" rims and tires on the trailer and have about 1" of clearance to get the trailer into the garage for the winter. Just remember to close the vent before you back the trailer into the garage. Lexan doesn't break easily but it will scratch.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:32 PM   #30

Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17'
Ontario
Our Trillium 1300 has this steel roof vent in it. It measures 9" square and has a big round red letter "h" in the middle of it. Couldn't see any other markings. Is this the original vent for these models? Can I expect to have trouble with it down the road? Is this the style you are trying to replace?
Attached Thumbnails
Roof_Vent_3A.jpg   Roof_Vent_4A.jpg  

Old 12-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #31

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
That's a Hehr brand vent, and was standard on the Trilliums. As far as I know, they're pretty robust. It opens by pulling a chain that hangs down inside the trailer.

The vent I'm planning to replace is on a Boler. It's not the Hehr vent you have. I think the one I have is plastic (and may be the Elixir Mini-vent). It also looks as though it has been replaced at some point since 1974.

I don't know if there was ever a "standard" vent on the Bolers like there was on the Trillium.

In any case, bet that Hehr vent is pretty robust -- I know my Hehr windows are still going strong. I wish they still made that vent, as I'd install one in a heartbeat, but as far as I know they no longer make it

Raya
Old 12-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #32

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Quote:
Our Trillium 1300 has this steel roof vent in it. It measures 9" square and has a big round red letter "h" in the middle of it. Couldn't see any other markings. Is this the original vent for these models? Can I expect to have trouble with it down the road? Is this the style you are trying to replace?
I don't know what Raya has, but that's indeed the original vent in a lot of the older Trilliums, except yours has got a missing bug screen. The H stands for Hehr, which is also the maker of the original Trillium jalousie windows. I'd tend to believe that it would be one of the most durable vents ever made, as it seems to be all aluminium and zero plastic, only you can't leave it open in the rain. Mine is as old as yours and still in splendid shape, though I've replaced the screen.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #33

Ontario
How does the screen mount? Shouldn't be too hard to fabricate one. Good idea for the screen. Will have to put that on the to-do list while I have it in the garage to redo some wiring and install a battery.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #34

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Quote:
How does the screen mount? Shouldn't be too hard to fabricate one. Good idea for the screen. Will have to put that on the to-do list while I have it in the garage to redo some wiring and install a battery.
Now this could be moved to a separate topic, but cutting a new one is definitely no big deal, and the screen is basically just tucked around the frame. But doing a good job is a whole lot easier if you remove the vent... something you will most likely have to do at some point to reseal it... at least once every 30 years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trillium_Vent_Screen.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	17213
Old 12-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #35

Ontario
How about a stupid question?? I haven't looked at it yet, but I don't see any screws/rivets on the inside frame holding it in. What is involved to take the vent out (and reseal it of course)? Screws from the top side maybe...

Tags
boler