Replacing a Converter - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #15
Name: Michael
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2011 Toyota Sienna
Looking at the specs of the unit that you chose, I would agree that you should be OK with that system.
As a Ham Radio Operator, I did also look at the 'RF Noise' generated by some of these units, but, rarely, are any of them a real problem!
My experiences with several Magnetek units have soured me on that maker!
Even the "upgrades" turn me off!
However, as has been mentioned, a 3 stage charger is a good replacement for a 'Converter' as long as there is a real battery connected at all times!
Be aware that some of them will seem 'dead' if the battery goes below a certain minimum voltage! You would be without 12V power if you had a dead battery, even with the charger! That is the difference between a 'Converter'!
Good luck,
Mike .....>
Noted. ::scribbles on a post-it::

Thanks all for your input. I read the thread(s) about going converter-less before starting the topic. I like the idea for me (and the project trailer), especially since there's an 85 watt solar panel in the garage waiting to be mounted on the roof. But come Littlefoot selling time I suspect having a converter might be a better selling point, especially if it's to a newbie.

The fellow at Best Converter recommended and it should be here next week. It came in plenty cheaper than the others I was looking at, so there's still beer money!

Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #16
Name: Dave
Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0
Dan's on to it -- If it's noise in the stereo, it might be solved by something like a noise filter.

BTW, on my old Magnatek, some of the fuse positions on the fuse block were set up to be filtered by the battery, whereas others were for noisy appliances like fridge, fan, furnace, etc. You might solve the problem by moving some wires around.
It's not noise at this point. The stereo has been odd from day one. It worked perfectly at first -- until the first time I turned on the Maxx fan. Drove the stereo crackerdog, literally crashed it. After a reset and and a 30 minute wait all was well. After that, turned on the fan first, then the stereo, no worries.

At NOG Byron suggested an in-line filter, but I didn't get to it, and then in the driveway, I accidentally turned on the fan second -- and everything was fine.

I changed out the battery before the last trip, and suddenly the stereo will only work on battery power. Switch to shore power, it makes blinky lights and funny noises. Switch back to battery, all is well. Reset doesn't affect. Fan, doesn't affect. Very strange. Switch back to the previous battery, still no better.

This elderly magnatek has one fuse, and everything is connected in parallel right out of the back from two wires. At SOG Gene L and Peter H concurred on converter being a probable cause, on the theroy that it was putting out raggedy (my word) dc power.

If nothing else, I'll get a charge circuit for the battery out of it.

DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote