Replacing Boler Wheel Bearings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Alberta
Replacing Boler Wheel Bearings

Maybe I don't know how to use the search very well, or maybe I am getting lazy but I can't seem to find anything on replacing Boler wheel bearings.
Really all I need to know is how to set the play properly when snugging (or not) down the castle nut.
Do most go to snug with a wrench then back it off a 1/4 turn?

Cheers!
Dave
davelikebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Look in a Chiltons manual on how to do it. It's the same for all wheel bearings regardless of what it is on.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #3

Alberta
Thank. If I had a Chiltens I wouldn't be posting on a forum.
Anyone else?

Cheers!
Dave
Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Deleted
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Please read any authoritative documentation, which will likely avoid terms which mean very different things to different people, such as "snug". Dexter Axle provides full service manuals on their web site.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #6

Alberta
Snug down the nut while turning the wheel. Snug down and back off about a third of a turn a few times. After the last snug down, back off about a quarter turn and stick the cotter pin in. You should be able to feel a very slight amount of play in the bearing by wiggling the wheel. If you want to get real technical like we were supposed to do when I worked on trucks, we had to measure the play with a dial indicator, of course nobody actually did it, we checked the play by feel. With a castellated nut you don't have much choice, it's this notch or the next one. You just don't want pressure on the bearing, one or two notches back from snug on the nut should be good. When you're snugging down the nut it's also seating the bearing on the axle. Try one notch on the nut, then another, see how it feels, bend the cotter pin and be sure the cap won't rub on it when installed. Here's another suggestion, when I grease the bearings I put a gob of grease in the palm of one hand, then press
the wider edge of the bearing into it to force the grease up through the bearing, work your way around until you have the whole bearing greased, do the same with the other one. Wipe some grease into the cavity in the hub. Be careful installing the seal so as not to distort it, and I assume you have checked the seal on the axle. Slide the hub on as straight as you can so as not to damage the seal, install outer bearing, washer if there is one, nut, and do your adjustment. Take your time. Use as big a cotter pin as will fit in the hole.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Dave, how did you do that, I deleted my response because of " snug" possibly causing confusion?? Anyway now the blame is on you. Somewhere in my tool collection I think I have an old torque wrench that was intended for wheel bearings, can't locate it at the moment.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler